Any Moose advice?

bz_711

WKR
I have zero experience with Moose, I've only hunted Elk in CO...but looking for any info that might help me send my dad and his buddy in the right direction.

My dad reached out this week and said a fellow co-worker of his, whose wife phoned my dad asking if he'd want to moose hunt with fellow coworker as a surprise b-day gift from the wife to friend. Both my Dad and him retired approx. 3 years ago at the same time, my dad is 68 and friend is maybe 1-2 years younger. Both have 68 year old knees and are not what I'd call regularly active (no working out) but both get around on their own 2 feet just fine.

I love that my Dad took some interest in this and reached out to me for info - last year he went on what he said was his last bow-hunt for Elk with me in CO...so I was starting to think he might be done with these kinds of hunts. I'd guess they would both be open to either rifle or bow (both still bowhunt whitetails regularly).

So, questions are:

What are their best options for Moose in either 2018 or 2019? No time to build points

Price definitely a factor, but they are not looking for a DIY hunt - so I'm thinking guided or semi-guided

Travel could be factor, knowing them both...the closer to Illinois the better but we understand no Moose are close

Any thoughts/tips...or direction/states/provinces they should reach out to first?

I appreciate any responses...Rokslide has always been a major help...Thanks!

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting is about more than inches mate.

My understanding is that antler size increases from east to west, so does price.

Moose is on my bucket list and my aim is somewhere between Ontario and newfoundland

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
British Columbia , Alberta , Newfoundland . not in any order . 2018 may be a stretch unless cancelations come up . Possibly 19 may also be a issue. If a outfitter is good they are busy . Gather up a few and call and ask lots of questions to start . Its a great experience and a chance that can't be missed. Have fun looking , its fun and you'll learn as you go.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Yukon or Alaska... you owe it to yourself to get up here where the moose are as big as the country! Newfoundland might be cheaper though. Lots of moose there as an introduced species they have become a bit of a problem.

PM your phone number to me, I think I have your answer unless antler size is crucial. Sounds like you're looking for a guided hunt that won't hurt as much (physically or financially) as the Yukon. Here's my Alberta bull from Sep '17. I had multiple shot opportunities and this guy was 10' from me at full draw.

21314846_10213794675842190_3167235699746650149_n.jpg

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
PM your phone number to me, I think I have your answer unless antler size is crucial. Sounds like you're looking for a guided hunt that won't hurt as much (physically or financially) as the Yukon. Here's my Alberta bull from Sep '17. I had multiple shot opportunities and this guy was 10' from me at full draw.

21314846_10213794675842190_3167235699746650149_n.jpg

Thanks for the info guys...

And thanks for the offer for more info - but as of yesterday - my Dad's buddy declined his wife's offer due to his current physical condition...so at this point, no trip (and no FUN:( )
I will keep in mind down the road as I need to arrow a moose one day myself...but I'm not ready to skip a year of elk hunting yet:)

Wojo14

WKR
Hold up! I am now interested! I have been on a Moose hunt in Quebec. Great time. No luck tho! It was semi guided and it was my first time, so It was a bit of a learning experince.
Moose is defiantly on my archery bucket list!
Bruce, you willing to share some info with me?
~Wojo

PM your phone number, I'll share intel that I cannot post online (gave my word). Not all moose hunts are hard or easy...you can pick. It helps if you can draw a bow.