Game Bags For Moose Drop Camp

Question for all the veteran moose hunters, two friends and I are heading with Renfro's this coming September and have been working our way through the gear list. We are currently stuck on the size and qty of game bags to bring along. A generic "what to bring" informational sheet was provided which stated "8 large and 4 medium". Just wanted to see what has worked for everyone in the past for the bone-in requirement, this will be the first moose hunt for all three of us.

rayporter

WKR
yes those are the moose size tag bags. hey are huge. huge!

don't be afraid to take burlap bags. we took 5 burlap bags per moose once. you are not afraid to throw around the burlap when full of meat. if you load up the tag bags they will be on the heavy side.

PMcGee

WKR
If you're going to have to pack the meat any distance the more bags the better. I think I used 10 bags on mine last year. The moose size tag bags are big. I don't think I'd want to pack a full one very far. I think I took a set of the large tag bags and 2 sets that I use for elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Unless weight is of serious concern, which I assume it’s not if it’s going to be a drop camp, I personally wouldn’t even bother with the TAG bags. My personal preference is heavy duty, almost a bleached canvas type game bag. They can handle tons of abuse and last forever. I’ve been using the same bags now for well over a decade and although I don’t go moose hunting every year, I have used them to pack out over a half a dozen moose. While they don’t look as good as they did when I first bought them, they are still plenty good, and have at least another half dozen moose packing left in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I always buy the Grizzly Game Bags they sell at 3 bears every fall. They're like $20 for 4 bags. Fit a hind quarter no problem. I'm sure you can find them online if you're not from the area. As stated above, if weight isn't an issue, I wouldn't bother with TAG bags. TAG bags are awesome and i do use them and recommend them on sheep, goat, and black bear hunts. They are not really necessary on a moose hunt for the extra cash IMO.

I usually use 8 bags. Pack a couple extra to potentially switch out a bag that may get really nasty from a shot up shoulder. Add an extra bag if you're keeping the cape. Add one more bag for the hide of the grizzly you shoot! I plan on hunting moose a long time and game bags are cheaper than back surgery.

OP
P
Great, thanks guys. Didn't even think of going with the old school canvas bags, definitely a little easier on the wallet compared to TAG or Caribou bags. Sounds like 10-12 big bags or maybe a free of them a little smaller will get it done.

mooster

WKR
love the Caribou Gear moose magnum packs, but they are a little pricey @ $114 and heavy @ 4lbs. But durable enough that I was able to wash them after the hunt and they’re ready to use again.

caribou game bag 4lb2oz.jpg

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Here is what I have used on moose/caribou and was easy on the wallet. I don't think they will hold up as long as canvas but they are lite weight and have held up so far with the exception of the rib cage ripping through one, however, if you're in an area where you can de-bone it won't be an issue.

Amazon.com : Elk Moose 6pc Game Bag Set : Hunting Game Belts And Bags : Sports & Outdoors
I used these this year. Decent bags, especially for the price. Mine cleaned up well and are ready for another go.
Jeremy

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

2.2 lbs and compact.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
TAG bags all the way for me.. They do cost more, but I feel that I get more (actually get much less in wt and space in my dry-bag), and they are damned tough and durable.

Dorny

FNG
X2 for the caribou gear magnum large pack. they worked great. 1 more bag would been nice though, as a couple ended up very heavy.

JColony

FNG
Here is what I have used on moose/caribou and was easy on the wallet. I don't think they will hold up as long as canvas but they are lite weight and have held up so far with the exception of the rib cage ripping through one, however, if you're in an area where you can de-bone it won't be an issue.

Amazon.com : Elk Moose 6pc Game Bag Set : Hunting Game Belts And Bags : Sports & Outdoors
I'll second this set. I used them on my 2018 moose hunt and they worked great!