Outfitters in NF

Any one hunt with Lake Douglas?
I really liked the salesmen. He is a guide. Seemed like a good guy. But I'd like an actual reference...

Trial153

WKR
I remember then having a few positive reviews on bowsite. I also remember them being a Drive in lodge so I ruled them out as I prefer wanted to avoid a pressure from the roads or drive in hunters, and I didn’t want to use vehicles for the hunt. That said they did get good reviews.

Trial153

WKR
They are in a very good unit for moose, caribou in that unit are sparse right now.

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted with Lake Douglas 3 times from 2016-2018 and am booked for 2020. He averages 90-100% and is in a very good unit. Last year my brother had 2 great caribou bulls within stick bow range while moose hunting, 20 mins from the main lodge. Sheldon Brown has 3 or maybe 4 spike camps as well, the furthest about 1-1/2 hours from the lodge. Great guy who bought out the former owner Greg several years ago and has pumped a lot of investment into improving and growing the operation. Yes he is drive in, but only once have I heard another caller nearby me. I would not likely go with another drive in outfit if Sheldon wasn't a vailable to me, based on first hand reviews of others while on the ferry, but I have never heard anything negative about Sheldon. Next October I will be a 4th time return customers and I know hunters that have been returning to Lake Douglas Outfitters for 20 years or more through two owners. Repeat customers seem to have first refusal on re-booking dates, my understanding is that if my group or any of us as individuals wants to continue our same week every other year it is ours as long as we commit by the year before. He normally tries to limit it to 6-8 hunters per week, but the lodge would comfortably handle 20 hunters. I have never had more than 10 at a time, and while Sheldon felt that was too many, none of us hunters felt the presence of too much pressure while we were there. My opinion is based on my experiences through last week Sept 2018. It was unusually warm and dry that week, there were 8 in our group, plus two other hunters. The week before was 100% and the week after 100% if I remember right. Our group was 6 for 8, and the other two hunters both killed, so 80% for our week. Both of our two that souped out had shot situations, my brother bowhunting had a huge bull sneak in behind him close enough to smell the bull, but couldnt get turned around to draw. My buddy had a shot but passed in hope of a bigger rack. Albeit, we had a great hunt, and we supplied the two unfortunates with meat from each of us when we got home, and 4 of the 8 rebooked for 2020 before leaving camp. I have no experience with other outfitters to compare to and have no plans as yet to change outfitters.