Moose Hunt Shot Distance?

rootacres

WKR
Hello all, I was just wondering for the guys that have done it. . . What was the shot distance of the moose you've taken? Just trying to get an idea of how I want to setup my moose rifle. Thanks in advance

carter33

WKR
Typically shorter distances within about 100 yards, of course it varies greatly. Personally I would set up a rifle that I would be comfortable with out to around 300 yards. Also I would want one that has a quick site picture on the lower end cause you'll likely be in grizz country. I plan on getting into archery hunting up here in Alaska and moose is the species I'd start with, much easier to get close to moose than say caribou.

Trial153

WKR
All my moose have been shot with a bow, under 40 yards . My father killed his with a rifle last year and it was 35 yards .... I have been in two other moose kills in Maine. First was a bow hunt and it was a very close shot. And the other as rifle kill bull that I called for my buddy, he stepped out into a slash...it’s was about 150 yards.
I think the best advise is going to come from someone with experience in the location your hunting. I been in a lot of moose county, some is wide open and some it’s thick as hell.

wytx

WKR
My first taken with my recurve bow was about 5 yards, my second taken with a 270 wsm was less than 100 yards.
Are you hunting shiras moose or an Alaskan or canadian model?
Shirase are easy to stalk up on and or call in close. Never hunted the bigger boys in hard hunted areas.
Both of mine were taken in open country also not timber.

GotDraw?

WKR
Your question is a bit general, might be a good idea if you tell folks where you intend to hunt and elevation, etc. Also how you intend to hunt-
hike, boat, raft... Then they can give advice more tightly directed to your planned circumstance.

The better you frame your question, the more helpful the answers can be.

I can tell you my archery hunt in the Yukon last year was so tight with snags, dead-fall and evergreens, that anything beyond 40 yards was unimaginable. Most shot opportunities were under 40. I shot mine at 40.

JL

JP100

WKR
All depends what type of country you are hunting.
I have hunted Moose in two areas of BC.
One central and one North.

Central area was 'typical' moose country, swamps and calling, most shots were close, but still was opportunities around 300 yards across lakes/swamps etc.

The northern Moose country I have hunted was very open and could shoot as far as the skyline if you wanted.
That said through the season some moose were shot at 5 Yards(in open country!) and some out around 350-400.

Moose have big vitals and you dont need a super high power scope or flat shooting rifle to take them at 'longer range'.
A 3-9 scope set up on a .30-.338 caliber rifle shooting good heavy for caliber stout bullets, zeroed at 200 yards.
Thats what I would do

I plan on getting into archery hunting up here in Alaska and moose is the species I'd start with, much easier to get close to moose than say caribou.

Even easier to get close to a bear than either of those two, if you want to try archery hunting.

I've only killed one moose, it was in my back yard and about 20 yards. I've watched several others tip over, anywhere from 30 yards to 120 yards. If I was rifle hunting moose I'd want to use a caliber that knocks them over right where they are or close, so that they don't run into the water and die.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Without having hunted moose myself I imagine you could probably sub the word moose in your post for any game animal. Moose are one of my dream hunts though probably out of my financial reach but if I do I plan on taking my 30-06 and leaving the rifle sighted as is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stevevan

WKR
Newfoundland bull last year. Lasered 457 yds. Hunting the Long Range Mtns. of western NF. Reminded me a bunch of mule deer hunting in mountains of the west.

tater

WKR
I took this question to my Dad and my Uncle for a fun conversation (between the three of us we have hunted over 100 moose seasons in two different provinces with several different geographies).

We calculated all of the moose to have been shot at an average of under 100 yards, with the closest opportunity (not necessarily shot taken) at 5 yards (North Central BC), and the longest opportunity when my Uncle still lived in SK and had a draw tag for a Southern ag unit which was 700 yards.

A moderate fixed power scope or lower variable power (that is absolutley weatherproof) on a rifle you are proficient with and shooting a well constructed bullet are really the main considerations.

I have seen moose killed with a wide variety of calibers (they are not as hardy as elk; they can absorb lead but they don't run forever when hit). Just know your weapon and shot placement.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
40, 350, 250, 125, 495. Most were in Alberta farm lands, No where to sneak in from. The terrain plays a huge role in how close you can get. No idea what the terrain in Illinois looks like.

MTSabo

WKR
all the moose Ive called in the past couple years have come within 150 yrds of me. Last years moose was shot at ~100 yrds.

All archery, Alaska 35 yds and 1 yd (almost straight up into him, called in). WY 45 yds, BC 35 yds and 20 yds (called in).

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have lost count but I know for a fact its above 50 moose I have witness killed. If I had to guess the average range I would say its somewhere between 150-200 yards average with the shortest around 15 yards and the furthest just over 400 yards. I hunt them generally in pretty open country so my average may be a tad high than places people hunt with much tighter cover though.

I've killed several bulls with a longbow and my average for all of them is slightly under 10 yards.

All my moose have been shot with a bow, under 40 yards . My father killed his with a rifle last year and it was 35 yards .... I have been in two other moose kills in Maine. First was a bow hunt and it was a very close shot. And the other as rifle kill bull that I called for my buddy, he stepped out into a slash...it’s was about 150 yards.
I think the best advise is going to come from someone with experience in the location your hunting. I been in a lot of moose county, some is wide open and some it’s thick as hell.

THIS ^^^^^ is BANG ON !! My son got his Shiras Moose at, 35 yards with a Bow, in Eastern Idaho, I will be using a 50 pound Bow IF, I get drawn, but will have a 7x30 Waters T/C SS rifle, sighted for 100 yards just in case I can't, "thread the needle" in the Brush ! My son will carry the Rifle and pass it to me if, necessary. Moose, can't see very well but, watch the wind ! We also have called couple of small one's in, to 20 yards ! Pick a good Bullet or, tough Broadhead on a heavy Arrow ( for good penetration ).

Jimbob

WKR
If you want to get close to moose you can, so distance is what you want it to be. I grew up hunting moose in Ontario and most shots were pretty close. During archery season inside of 50 yds is almost easy (almost). Once the rut is off it is a little harder to get close but still very doable. My experience is that moose are very stalkable, they are just not jumpy like deer.