USA moose slam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
As I'm doing some reading and "accounting" about how and where I'll be applying for shiras this year (if I could only be so lucky), I got to wondering: has anyone ever completed the big 3 moose slam without shooting any of them in Canada?

Not that there's anything wrong with Canada, but I'm just curious as to whether anyone's been lucky enough to draw, or played their cards just right to harvest a shiras in the intermountain west, a Canadian in somewhere like Maine, and an Alaskan?

I feel like whoever that person might be, they should definitely write a book or be a guest on a podcast or something to share their experience.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Im 2 for 3 in the moose category

I need my Canadian sub-species - maybe someday - anyone know a good Canadian Moose outfitter?

Colorado Shiras

5qhLSoL.jpg

Alaskan/Yukon

vs4TjiN.jpg

Last edited:

david_227

FNG
You could also shoot a Canadian in North Dakota... So definitely possible

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider

I need my Canadian sub-species - maybe someday - anyone know a good Canadian Moose outfitter?

Colorado Shiras

5qhLSoL.jpg

Alaskan/Yukon

vs4TjiN.jpg
That's a stud of a shiras!

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider

Colorado Shiras

5qhLSoL.jpg

Alaskan/Yukon

vs4TjiN.jpg
Did you draw the CO tag or is that a governor's tag?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
"Did you draw the CO tag or is that a governor's tag? "

That was 18 years of putting in for the drawing

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I’m 2 of 3 also. Mine are unguided public land bulls. I wish I could figure out an unguided public land opportunity for Canada Moose. I think that would be pretty cool.

Two Alaskan bulls self-guided. A WY Shiras self-guided. Two BC Canadian bulls, one self-guided, the other guided. All moose were archery bulls.
i won't ever get a Canadian moose in the US since I live in BC these days and it would be ridiculous for me to put in for a ND, Maine or Minnesota bull if they even have NR tags. I can hunt them every year here, and would hate to take a license in the 3 states from someone not so lucky. Good luck on your moose quest....really fun to call in and they provide a very large quantity of excellent, mild meat.

Jon Boy

WKR
Two Alaskan bulls self-guided. A WY Shiras self-guided. Two BC Canadian bulls, one self-guided, the other guided. All moose were archery bulls.
i won't ever get a Canadian moose in the US since I live in BC these days and it would be ridiculous for me to put in for a ND, Maine or Minnesota bull if they even have NR tags. I can hunt them every year here, and would hate to take a license in the 3 states from someone not so lucky. Good luck on your moose quest....really fun to call in and they provide a very large quantity of excellent, mild meat.
This sounds epic, please post pics!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
As I'm doing some reading and "accounting" about how and where I'll be applying for shiras this year (if I could only be so lucky), I got to wondering: has anyone ever completed the big 3 moose slam without shooting any of them in Canada?

Not that there's anything wrong with Canada, but I'm just curious as to whether anyone's been lucky enough to draw, or played their cards just right to harvest a shiras in the intermountain west, a Canadian in somewhere like Maine, and an Alaskan?

I feel like whoever that person might be, they should definitely write a book or be a guest on a podcast or something to share their experience.

You don't need to draw in Alaska as a non resident. Just fork over the $800 for the harvest tag and buy your license. Then you can hunt the general harvest area under the general harvest regs.

WJS23

WKR
No love for the northeast? Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont all have NR lottery tags. Vermont also has a separate archery only season that is a separate drawing

mckayam1

Lil-Rokslider
No love for the northeast? Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont all have NR lottery tags. Vermont also has a separate archery only season that is a separate drawing
Vermont isn't sure if they will have one this year yet. Got one in Maine last year. I live there, took 20 plus years to draw. But only put in for bulls. Non residents can buy as many chances as they want in Maines lottery. Been hunting them here with my father for years with others as well. Under the right circumstance, (good person) and if not busy on another hunt, I'd help someone out if they got a tag in Maine, certain zones. Not a guide just have been on a lot of hunts. Good luck and don't forget Maine. Tons of n moose in the north zones.
b10aaa9c07008cb31761ca1a317fbd4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have taken three Shiras bulls (two* in Idaho and one in Montana) and an Eastern bull (Maine). I had a tag in New Hampshire two years before Maine, but I let my father (sub-permittee) shoot that bull. I am chasing Shiras moose in WY area 23 this fall.

*My second Idaho bull was a leftover tag in a Lochsa River hunt area. The leftover tag is an exception to the once in a lifetime harvest rule. Although my Lochsa hunt was 10 years ago and I know things have changed, I would be happy to share what I know about the area with anyone who might draw the current 12-4 hunt.