Shipping moose meat costs

For you guys that did Alaska hunts and were successful, how did you get your meat home to L48, and what did it cost?

Same as a fishing trip they need to get it packaged and flash freeze it and check it in coolers or wax fish boxes. I think if I had ever told anyone who came and hunted or fished with me while I lived up there “just ship it home” I would’ve lost them as a friend. I just spent 170$ on shipping a 50” rack that was cut in half etc- but still came in as oversized (meaning ground only) and it took 2 weeks longer than estimated to arrive in Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
We’re talking 200-400# of meat...(i lived there 30years). That’s a lot of coolers or fish boxes for 1 person. I thought airlines would limit you at some point..

geriggs

WKR
Out of bethel we did Alaska Air cargo. We had 3 capes, 4 skulls/antlers, and lots of meat. total of 1300 pounds (donated a lot of meat too, wish we had brought more home.....best meat ever). 94cents a pound split 4 ways was about 325 a piece.

OP
C
From bethel to home in the states?thats a smoking price. I figured it would be more due to having to be refer’d..

Out of bethel we did Alaska Air cargo. We had 3 capes, 4 skulls/antlers, and lots of meat. total of 1300 pounds (donated a lot of meat too, wish we had brought more home.....best meat ever). 94cents a pound split 4 ways was about 325 a piece.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
We’re talking 200-400# of meat...(i lived there 30years). That’s a lot of coolers or fish boxes for 1 person. I thought airlines would limit you at some point.

In the Lower 48 yes Airlines would bolk but Fly out of Alaska with this wieght is an everyday thing. You will have no issues. Alaska beats to there own Drum when it comes to many things. Flying with odd heavy/Crazy stuff is nothing new for them In my experience. Example a few years back I bought an 85# 6' Long Mammoth tusk out of a small Coastal Village. I had it wrapped up well and when I asked where we should put it they said let put it in the coat Closet in first Class vs check it in as luggage on my Anchorage to Portland Flight.

KJH

WKR
I've done it from Kotzebue and Bethel.

Donate the two front quarters and keep everything else. Take 4-5 large coolers- Fill them with clean, deboned, and trimmed meat to exactly 100lbs. Duck tape them up and and take them with you as checked baggage... Only fly Alaska Airlines larger jets out of the larger villages (i.e. Bethel) and fly that airline as close as you can to your house in the L48. $100 per cooler or something reasonable like that... They will keep it cold/frozen if you get delayed.

SIMPLE and cheap. Plus it arrives when you do.

I bring my fully intact skull and antlers wrapped up and padded home this way as well. Alaska airlines doesn't even blink when you do this.

geriggs

WKR
one thing i forgot to mention...

We bought bins from Papa bear. they were 40 a piece. you can bring your own and it would be cheaper. So tack on another 120 or so a piece because we had at least 3-4 per person for meat. that price was to denver. we picked it up the day after we got home and it was still frozen. We did have some straps stolen though and that wasnt cool.

From bethel to home in the states?thats a smoking price. I figured it would be more due to having to be refer’d..

OP
C
Right on thanks guys... like i said I’m from there, so i have family to go with but i havnt hunted up there since i moved stateside 9 years ago. Thinking 2019 moose season I’m gonna go up.