Ironbound Outfitters

JA03

FNG
Im starting to research a 2020 Newfoundland moose trip. From what Ive gathered a fly in outfitter is essential to getting shot opportunities. I browsed several web sites and came across Ironbound. Their outfit intrigues me as they do not use argos or motorized vehicles. They appear to revel in a hard physical hunt which appeals to me. I looked through the forum and was unable to locate any other info on them other than what was on the website. I figured Id ask and see if anyone had hunted with them.

I've never purchased a guided hunt and am more of a do it your self type however this seems like the most economical way to do a moose hunt. A buddy and I plan on driving up from PA therefore splitting travel costs. Any info would be appreciated.

Josh

buzzy

WKR
There are many good outfitters in Newfoundland. There is a thread on 24hr campfire on folks talking about a Newfoundland moose hunt. The 2 I'd suggest are drive in hunts and there are many folks who do that as well. Good luck.

I was supposed to be hunting with them this past fall, but for Caribou. Life happened and I had to postpone my trip until the next available opening they had, which is 2020 (for caribou). Two of my friends went on the hunt and had a great time, both took respectable P&Y bulls. Another friend hunted moose with them a year ago and took an exceptional bull with his bow. They are one of the best outfitters in NFL and their area isn't hunted by locals, which is a huge plus. Contact them for their success rates in 2017 on moose, they took some big ones.

OP
JA03

JA03

FNG
Thank you for the information gentlemen. I will send out a few emails to outfitters. Feel free to PM me if you have any info that you dont feel like posting on the forum.

Bama Van

FNG
I have hunted in Newfoundland (4) times , killed 2 Bull Moose and a Caribou, passed on several small moose the last trip and went home empty handed, but had (5) different opportunities ( just was looking for a bigger animal. I hunt with Caribou Pond , it is a drive in camp or a boat in camp if you hunt out of drop camp, Mike and Boyce are awesome, I am going back this fall. Good luck, on your future hunt.

Dries

WKR
I went with Next Ridge Outfitting this past fall with My Dad and a good friend of ours. We had a great time and harvested some Awesome Moose! Had a great time. Give them a look also! Lots of guys from West Michigan have gone with them and highly recommend them as do I now that I went with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dries

WKR
I went with Next Ridge Outfitting this past fall with My Dad and a good friend of ours. We had a great time and harvested some Awesome Moose! Had a great time. Give them a look also! Lots of guys from West Michigan have gone with them and highly recommend them as do I now that I went with them

OP
JA03

JA03

FNG
Awesome, thank you for the recommendations. Feel free to post pictures of your moose.

NYSKIER

WKR
I have hunted in Newfoundland (4) times , killed 2 Bull Moose and a Caribou, passed on several small moose the last trip and went home empty handed, but had (5) different opportunities ( just was looking for a bigger animal. I hunt with Caribou Pond , it is a drive in camp or a boat in camp if you hunt out of drop camp, Mike and Boyce are awesome, I am going back this fall. Good luck, on your future hunt.

What does a hunt with Caribou Pond run you?

Trial153

WKR
Up till this past year they received really good reviews. This year there were few mixed reviews. I know two guys that hunted with them in the past 5 year and both spoke highly of them. I was on the fence anf thinking about booking with them in 2016 and chose MVO instead. I took my dad on his first moose hunt and we killed two nice bulls, a day one bow kill for me and day three rifle kill for him. We had a great time and rebooked for 2019, I also secured a caribou tag.

If you go to bowsite a search you will see lots of recommendations for Newfoundland Outfitters, several guys on there have hunted with ironbound.

Dries

WKR
Awesome, thank you for the recommendations. Feel free to post pictures of your moose.

i also forgot to mention that once they get you out there with the chopper the only way to get around is on your feet! no wheeled vehicles in the field. They limit themselves to less than 20 hunters a year. i will post pics in a lil bit.

Dries

WKR
c48fa1ed53f9807c6440d7ffcbf7af83.jpg

This is my Moose harvest

Dries

WKR
0b40ce65f5bf6e383cf37e0c90b030b3.jpg

This is our friends Moose harvest
e90fc296d9af33529b825e6968322cbf.jpg

This is my dads Moose that he harvested

Bama Van

FNG
Not sure what they are quoting right now, I booked early and since I am a repeat I have been paying the same price for a while and I would have to look and see what that is. LOL around $4,500.00 I think. I book all of my hunts through Gary Young's Outdoor Adventures ( outfitters pay him so no cost to you), Gary is a good guy and has never sent me on a bad hunt, he personally hunts with all the outfitters he represents so you get an honest evaluation. Feel free to give him a call, he loves to talk hunting and he can get you that information: 724-388-0678

Bama Van

FNG
What does a hunt with Caribou Pond run you?

Not sure what they are quoting right now, I booked early and since I am a repeat I have been paying the same price for a while and I would have to look and see what that is. LOL around $4,500.00 I think. I book all of my hunts through Gary Young's Outdoor Adventures ( outfitters pay him so no cost to you), Gary is a good guy and has never sent me on a bad hunt, he personally hunts with all the outfitters he represents so you get an honest evaluation. Feel free to give him a call, he loves to talk hunting and he can get you that information: 724-388-0678