Canada Moose hunt ideas

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
Canada/Newfoundland Moose hunt ideas

2 of us are just in the process of starting to look into a moose hunt for about 2-3 yrs out. We really want to do Alaska but for our first trip are considering sticking to Canada since the travel (from PA) would be easier and less costly. We’d like to DIY or as much as possible. I know in Canada a non res has to purchase license through an outfitter. I’m just looking for ideas and options from those of you who have done it, weather it’s outfitter advise, trophy area, or success rates. Rifle or archery. We’re open to anything at this point just to see what options for the price & adventure aspects are avail. Thanks in advance, it’s all very much appreciated!

Last edited:

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
Tagged. Going along for the ride on this one. Been applying to NH and Maine for years without luck. I’m curious about Newfoundland as well.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure on details but I have a group of co-workers that has been going to the same outfitter for years and I want to say it’s near Wawa. They used to ride a train in and the train has since stopped and last year they had to fly in for the first time. It sounds like a blast as they have a cabin to stay in and the use of a boat and run up and down the river. They also had a large meat locker to freeze the animal before the trip home.

The tag was cheap at about 500 but the flight and other outfitter fees was around 2k which as far as a moose hunt goes isn’t outrageous. Do some searching and I’m sure you’ll find the right opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
Ontario has some reasonable rates just based on a quick search.

Not sure on details but I have a group of co-workers that has been going to the same outfitter for years and I want to say it’s near Wawa. They used to ride a train in and the train has since stopped and last year they had to fly in for the first time. It sounds like a blast as they have a cabin to stay in and the use of a boat and run up and down the river. They also had a large meat locker to freeze the animal before the trip home.

The tag was cheap at about 500 but the flight and other outfitter fees was around 2k which as far as a moose hunt goes isn’t outrageous. Do some searching and I’m sure you’ll find the right opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dries

WKR
Some Places to check out in Ontario. Note I have not hunted with any of these outfits just heard of them and tslked to one outfit at a hunting show

Kashabowie outfitters in Ontario. This is where the archers choice People go in Ontario.

Thousand Lakes outpost. They get good reviews on Bowsite.com and I believe they are a sponsor over there.

White River Air out of Ontario. I talked to them at a Sport Show here In Michigan and they seem like good people.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Ontario is probably the last place I would attempt a moose hunt man. You are going to want to go to the YT, NWT or northern BC

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
Newfoundland would be your best price/driving distance/ size of moose.

If you wanted to step it up a notch I would say northern British Coloumbia would be your next best bet. Ontario, Manitoba, Sask, and AB can be hit and miss on numbers and quality.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone living on the eastern half of the states that wants to shoot a moose for a good price and bring the meat home, but isnt too concerned about trophy quality I would recommend NFLD.
Theres lots of moose there, but dont expect to shoot a 50" on a regular basis.
Quebec and Ontario can be very hit & miss. Also I am not a fan of their tag systems some outfitters try and push. With a group of 2 guys getting one bull tag and one cow tag. Or a group of 4 getting 2 bulls and 2 cows.
Manitoba fly in can be very good, as good as Alberta and better in some places. Saskatchewan does not offer a lot of moose hunts to Non Res hunters, but some of the hunts offered do appear to be good quality.
YK & NWT is as good as it gets really, and in the same class as Alaska.
Northern BC can be very good aswell, but can also come with the same hunt prices as NWT, YK & AK.
I will throw a few names out there, personal preference for myself based on what ive seen, people I know who have hunted there and the areas they hunt.
Dan at Andrew Lake Lodge offers a good fly in moose hunt in Alberta. Fishing is also incredible.
Liard River Outfitters in Northern BC has a good reputation. Hes new to outfitting that area, but ran a successful moose operation in Alberta for quite some time. The area is a great area for big moose.
Also if you visit Home - GOABC Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia Canada you can put up a post saying the type of hunt your looking for, budget etc and outfitters will contact you with what they have to offer you and for what price.
Goodluck guys