pack stove for moose hunt

mcseal2

WKR
I'm back with another question..

The cook kit we will be provided by the transporter for our hunt includes a 2 burner propane stove for camp. I was thinking I'd take a real small backpacking stove also we could carry for a hot drink or freeze dried meal during the day. I was thinking I'd use my MSR pocket rocket stove but I was told those fuel canisters won't be legal on aircraft. It would have to be a propane, gas, or white gas stove.

What do you all use? Thanks for your help.

I've spent a lot of time in the backcountry and have never once carried or wished for a stove in my day gear while hunting. I eat hot meals morning and evening. My lunches require no cooking, and I've never needed tea or coffee midday. I would only be willing to carry a Jetboil or similar, but definitely not liquid fuels and stove. An option might be a really good small thermos or 2 for extra coffee or soup.

Trial153

WKR
Seems like a lot of extra weight having a second stove. I splurge on some luxury’s but a second stove isn’t one of them. I would probably even forgo the two burner stove to save even more weight.
When I can’t fly in with canisters I like using a MSR universal, I can always get lantern fuel and fill a bottle up.

Last edited:

KJH

WKR
I've spent a lot of time in the backcountry and have never once carried or wished for a stove in my day gear while hunting. I eat hot meals morning and evening. My lunches require no cooking, and I've never needed tea or coffee midday. I would only be willing to carry a Jetboil or similar, but definitely not liquid fuels and stove. An option might be a really good small thermos or 2 for extra coffee or soup.

I couldn't have said this better- Exactly for me too. I do take a a good thermos. I sometimes make my coffee at night with dinner right before I go to sleep, and its ready in the morning. Then it goes in my pack and I'll drink a cup or two while I'm out hunting. Personally, I wouldn't take an extra stove.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks guys looks like I know what route to go. I have a Yeti thermos I'll take instead.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
I always take my rocket[everywhere] , just to have a back up stove. I think the bush pilots let you take them . I always have, just have to purchase them there.

geriggs

WKR
papa bear may allow it but you would have to have it shipped to them because im pretty sure most airlines wont let you fly with them. We got back last year from papa bear and we didnt need it. We could not hike very far because you are walking in a swamp. Other camps guys were able to hike a little further and not even need waders...could even use leather boots. Not us. We were on a slew and most of our hunting was using the boat and walking in maybe 100 yards and calling. Carrying moose quarters 200 yards in the swamp just plain sucks. Its like suction cups every step. Just be prepared for it. There were lots of moose. We were not picky so we tagged out in 5 days. Next time we will be patient and look for bigger bulls. We killed one real nice one and then a decent one and two smaller ones.

Anyway back to original question......i dont think you will need a small stove. Unless you wanted a back up in case the one supplied fails.Good luck