Planning first DIY Alaska hunt

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
The transporter knows how many moose are taken out of their area and where and how they are taken. They know every where they can land that plane and have a price for that spot. On your 1st. trip you will be very dependent on your transporter. A beaver will take 4 people all the camping gear they could bring and a raft in one trip. That will be the most expensive part of the hunt. I love flying in a float plane worth the trip for me.

Just wanted to say there is some great info in here. Also, I am curious to know if any of you moose hunters did your first hunt diy and solo. Not that I am considering that, but I know there are folks here that hunt solo so thought I would pose the question.

My first successful moose hunt was DIY and Solo, but it was in my back yard :)

OP
D
Do most of you doing the drop camps prefer to hunt near a lake or just wherever your chosen transporters have said there is moose?

VernAK

WKR
Not much for me to add as Kevin has it!

One thing I'd mention is moose numbers. Many of the better moose hunting areas only have a population estimate of <1 Moose/m2.....
less than one moose per square mile. In an area with a healthy bull population, there will be somewhere around 30 bulls per hundred cows and that's all sizes of antlered bulls. How many of those 30 bulls will be of trophy size? FEW! And in many areas nonresidents have 50" minimum.
So how may square miles will you need to hunt to score 4 bulls for 4 hunters. Perhaps two hunters should buy caribou tags.

OP
D
Not much for me to add as Kevin has it!

One thing I'd mention is moose numbers. Many of the better moose hunting areas only have a population estimate of <1 Moose/m2.....
less than one moose per square mile. In an area with a healthy bull population, there will be somewhere around 30 bulls per hundred cows and that's all sizes of antlered bulls. How many of those 30 bulls will be of trophy size? FEW! And in many areas nonresidents have 50" minimum.
So how may square miles will you need to hunt to score 4 bulls for 4 hunters. Perhaps two hunters should buy caribou tags.

Our expectations aren't to get 4 moose by any means although that would be an awesome trip. My main concern is for the 2 that probably will not ever be back to get at least 1 between them. Caribou tags have been a thought, along with a black bear tag and several wolf tags.

By the way VernAK, that's an awesome moose on your profile!