Innovative Boots for Moose Hunting

OP
Kevin Dill
Thank you for the review. Great job. What is the breakin time?

Sort of impossible to assess. The inner boot has no leather and is all synthetic. The insulation gives it a lot of cushioning and flex in the upper. I took a brand-new pair on the hunt last year and had no issues.

OP
Kevin Dill
Does that Boa system seem to be pretty rugged? Is the lace actually a cable? I would guess that replacing a boot lace is difficult but maybe it's not needed.

It does seem like the BOA system is very durable. I did some background checks looking for reported failures with it and I found none. Whatever the laces are, they are thin and very strong. It works very easily...you can crank it as tight as you prefer. I don’t think there’s a way to replace the lacing in the field. On the other hand, the entire system is contained and protected from wear and abuse by the outer boot.

Ray

WKR
The Boa system on my old Korker Guide wading boots is braided stainless steel. I think these boots were bought in 2005, so miles upon miles of stream wading, and then hunting on tundra, and they still work fine. I do find that I have to stop and tighten the system up after 20 minutes of walking. Same issue for me across any wading boot lace system over stocking foot waders.

jeg

FNG
Thanks for this post Kevin I've been wondering about these boots for my upcoming moose hunt this fall. Couple questions, were the boots quiet, and did the 1200gr insulation seem to much?

Thanks for this post Kevin I've been wondering about these boots for my upcoming moose hunt this fall. Couple questions, were the boots quiet, and did the 1200gr insulation seem to much?

I agree. 1200gr seems awfully warm especially if any hiking is involved. I think the 400gr would be the bees knees. But I have no first hand experience so what do I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
cool concept, I have only done a little moose hunting, and it was the coldest I have even been, I had all 'mountain' hunting gear and was pretty unprepared for the cold/damp with no movement hunting style.

Just looking online that the insulation is primaloft not thinsulate like most boots use, I bet they are WARM!

same set up as you see for high alpine work with the built in gaiter, works for Everest!

OP
Kevin Dill
The coldest my feet have ever been was on a (several) moose hunts. Several factors figure into that. I camp right where I hunt, so long distance hiking and covering big miles never happens. It's moose after all, and I have to backpack anything I kill back to camp. I've seen temps down to 7F and days of snow in September. Most of my hunting hours consist of short hikes and long sits watching the area for movement. I tend toward cold feet. The 400 would definitely not work for me, but they might for you. I have a buddy with both weight boots and he brings the 1200 for moose. The bottom line is to know your tolerances, the climate you'll wear them in, and go from there. I would call the 400 gm boot a cool or chilly weather boot, but not enough for cold mornings well below frost while sitting multiple hours.

On my way home from an unsuccessful Alaska moose hunting trip, but I wanted to comment on these boots. Based on Kevin's comments/recommendation from this post, I purchased a pair of these boots for this hunt and have nothing but great things to say about them. These boots are literally like wearing a pair of knee high wading boots, I walked through soaked bogs, crossed creeks/rivers and hunted in wet woods and enjoyed dry feet nearly the entire time. The only time I had any dampness in the boots was when I got soaked in a rain storm and the water ran down my pant legs and got my socks wet. I will be buying another pair of these boots soon to have as a spare.

Last edited:
OP
Kevin Dill
Glad you liked them cb. I'm sure they aren't for everybody, but the unique design pretty much stands alone currently. It's good that they are a Cabela's branded boot and carry a 'limited lifetime warranty'. Free replacement if they ever prove defective.

bwlacy

WKR
I'll definitely be checking these out for a Newfoundland Moose hunt. I don't expect it to get that cold there though. I might have to opt for the 400's.

Great review by the way.

Trial153

WKR
I am picking up a pair for next years moose and woodland hunt as well.

I don't normally wear insulated boots, but I used the 400 gram, coldest temps I saw were probably upper 40s, and I never felt like my feet were too warm.

hunt1up

WKR
So after discovering these boots from Kevin's thread here, I ordered the 400 grams. My size in the 1200s are sold out, and I'm a pretty warm blooded guy. I really wanted them for local hunting here in IL as much as anything. I HATE wearing rubber boots so these looked interesting. So between using Active Junky and also buying some discounted Cabelas gift cards, I ended up getting the boots for 21% off. It could have been more had I waited for a larger Active Junky discount.

Anyway, they showed up yesterday. I had that apprehensive feeling that you get when you try a boot on, hoping they actually fit. They fit like a glove. Just perfect. True to size, well built, pretty much awesome. I don't know if I'll ever wear my rubber boots turkey hunting again. And hopefully I'll be chasing a moose in them next fall.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I saw on the Cabela’s site that they have a snake boot version of these now. Has anyone tried these? I bought some Lacrosse snake boots a few years back for hunting here in the Southeast and they are too uncomfortable to wear with any consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kevin Dill
I checked the Cabela's website for availability on the 1200 gm model and it looks like they are out of every size. I located a store with my size in stock and had them hold that pair for me. Apparently they're selling pretty well as guys catch on to them. I still haven't heard of any failures with the BOA lacing system.

hunt1up

WKR
I broke mine in on a warm wet walk to my deer stand. I’m up in the tree now. I walked 1/2 mile in wet tall grass. I got to my tree and was kinda warm, so I just dropped the tops down. I think I’m sold after 10 minutes. These are the 400s

5b2db6c02f8a675bf952e8343d0d9c3a.jpg
832551a64a7905199d41a56ebef4a052.jpg

Trial153

WKR
Seen one review complaining of leaks otherwise all good. Ordering 400s to test before next years caribou and moose/caribou hunts