Waders for Moose Hunt on a Raft

We hired Larry Bartlett to set up a float hunt. He suggest the Simms G3 waders. I’ve heard good things about the Patagonia Rio Gallegos. Does anyone have any input on which is a better option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duchntr

WKR
I have some g3's that I like, my wife has those paty waders. As far as fit and finish the g3's are better Imo but Patagonia has a better repair/warrenty center. Cant go wrong with either pair though.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Larry is a good man...go with his recommendation.

I have the G4's, and I'm starting year 3 in them in a couple of weeks for spring bear...no problems whatsoever with them at all. I use them for at least five or six weeks out of the year. Had Patagonia's before that for many years, and they were just fine with no complaints as well. I unfortunately shredded the Patagonia's badly one spring on a black bear hunt...totally not the fault of the waders. I then switched over to the Simms, preferring to buy American.

Either one will serve you well. I don't know your annual utilization of waders, terrain, etc. That said, for me I chose to upgrade to the extra durability of a thicker material with my waders to resist tears and holes when going through brush or whatever may come my way unexpectedly. Pricey stuff either way.

Have a great hunt!

PMcGee

WKR
I have the G3's that Larry recommends and I was very pleased with them on our trip last year. I just wish they made the boots in half sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How would 150$ breathable caddis waders work out? Are simms really that much thicker or tougher material?

Trial153

WKR
I have Simms, both g4 and the orginal Guide model. They are both excellent and durable. I have severl hundred days in my guide model without issue.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Simms here as well. I have the women’s guide waders, and women’s vapor boots (similar to men’s guide boots) and have been very happy with them.

How would 150$ breathable caddis waders work out? Are simms really that much thicker or tougher material?

I don’t think it’s so much that they are thicker/tougher. The construction of the Simms is such that the knees are articulated, so besides being very durable they are a lot more comfortable to hike in than cheaper waders, at least IME. I never used caddie brand specifically, but I did use an inexpensive pair of women’s reddington waders for several years. They worked fine and kept me dry in a raft or fishing, but they were super uncomfortable to hike any distance in. The knees always felt stiff to me, which really wears on you walking any distance regardless of weight you might be carrying.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm going with Simms G3's for my hunt this fall. I did a lot of research and asked this question here and elsewhere. Simms G3 kept being recommended by the most people so I went that route.

Simms here as well. I have the women’s guide waders, and women’s vapor boots (similar to men’s guide boots) and have been very happy with them.

I don’t think it’s so much that they are thicker/tougher. The construction of the Simms is such that the knees are articulated, so besides being very durable they are a lot more comfortable to hike in than cheaper waders, at least IME. I never used caddie brand specifically, but I did use an inexpensive pair of women’s reddington waders for several years. They worked fine and kept me dry in a raft or fishing, but they were super uncomfortable to hike any distance in. The knees always felt stiff to me, which really wears on you walking any distance regardless of weight you might be carrying.

Thanks Becca. Exactly what I was wanting to know. I live in Texas and get up to Alaska every year for about a week and that's about the only time I really ever wear waders and wondered if the one's I have will be okay or it was just that simms seem to be the only thing that holds up when it comes to hunting.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Becca. Exactly what I was wanting to know. I live in Texas and get up to Alaska every year for about a week and that's about the only time I really ever wear waders and wondered if the one's I have will be okay or it was just that simms seem to be the only thing that holds up when it comes to hunting.

If the ones you have seem to have held up and remained waterproof thus far, I would guess they’d be ok (being a patch kit for leaks with any waders). Being able to hike in them comfortably (if your trip requires it) would be my main criteria. I’m really happy with my Simms, but they are expensive...no reason to spend more than you have to if you are happy with what you have.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got the Simms g3 after reading Larry Bartlett’s books, they were an awesome investment. I live out of them when I’m moose hunting and rafting.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
We hired Larry Bartlett to set up a float hunt. He suggest the Simms G3 waders. I’ve heard good things about the Patagonia Rio Gallegos. Does anyone have any input on which is a better option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DO NOT waste money on patagucci waders. They will not hold up to a moose hunt.

I would only get the G3 or G4 Simms. The G4's have more protection than the G3's. The G3's are only thick in the legs from the thigh down.

I have both pairs, but use the G4's when I'm moose hunting.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
If you're trying to save some money by using boots you already own, then yes, uninsulated boots would work just fine. However, those boots will be really tight when trying to squeeze a neoprene stocking foot from a wader into them. I have made it work by removing insoles in hiking boots, but I would not want to hike any amount of distance in them. If you do purchase wading boots, make sure they are rubber sole boots. Felt is illegal in Alaska, and has been for some time, but every year I see people walking around along the creeks wearing felt soled boots.

Simms and other companies make lightweight wading boots that are designed to have miles put on them. I have never had to hike terribly far in my waders while moose hunting, if I know I have to hike a great distance, I will change out of my waders and put regular boots back on.

Also, you will only ever shoot a moose in the water one time. After that, you will never do it again. I do not recommend shooting a moose that is in any kind of water. But, if it's your only shot, just be prepared for the work that lies ahead.