Alaskan Moose Gloves

KJH

WKR
Nothing special! I wear whatever I have. I take a few pairs of gloves. Generally I take a lightweight fleece glove (like the cabelas cheapies that come in a set with a hat) and a pair of leather work gloves. I will throw in couple of other pairs of something that are close by when I'm packing. I've never put much thought into gloves.

I wear the leather gloves when doing camp chores and when raking the brush so I don't hurt my hands (lesson learned!) The rest of the time I don't give it much thought.

OP
Robinhood21
All responses so far was pretty much what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

The leather gloves for doing camp chores is a great idea.

Thanks guys! I'm trying not to over think stuff but you know how that goes...

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of gloves/glove system are you guys using when moose hunting Alaska?

Thanks!

If you're coming to hunt in September, depending on where you are going, I would still make sure you have a set of warm gloves. It is cold in the mornings and evenings running in my boat during moose season, so I always have a few sets with me depending on the weather.

All responses so far was pretty much what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

The leather gloves for doing camp chores is a great idea.

Thanks guys! I'm trying not to over think stuff but you know how that goes...

One thing to think about is what you are used to. I hunt out of a boat, so I like wearing a windproof glove for that purpose (it can get pretty windy and wet during the end of the season). I mainly wear my gloves to keep the no-seeums off of my hands when glassing.

One thing to bring are some latex gloves. I wear them while quartering my successful kills. Keeps my hands clean.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I guess I'm a pansy but I bring the same gloves moose hunting that I wear skiing. A pair of Black Diamond Gore-Tex shells, finger style, with a light fleece liner. If you're too cold to pull your hands out of your pockets to glass, you probably aren't going to see many moose.

I've been colder out moose hunting than I ever have been in the dead of winter, thirty five degrees and raining is miserable.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I've been colder out moose hunting than I ever have been in the dead of winter, thirty five degrees and raining is miserable.

True story. Then add running 25mph in a jet sled and it gets cold quick.

OP
Robinhood21
Well I guess I'm a pansy but I bring the same gloves moose hunting that I wear skiing. A pair of Black Diamond Gore-Tex shells, finger style, with a light fleece liner. If you're too cold to pull your hands out of your pockets to glass, you probably aren't going to see many moose.

Noted, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Pansy #2 here, sir.

I definitely bring gloves with me moose hunting...usually several pairs. One that is well insulated and waterproof, one light-weight fleece with palm and finger grip capability, and one that is durable exterior and light fleece lined. In the course of a two to three week trip, I usually have used all three.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I like to wear cut gloves when running knives, especially on a remote hunt.

I like lightweight wool gloves while hunting.

JP100

WKR
You'll want some gloves!
Coldest I have ever been is hunting moose in Northern BC,
I think a thin liner(either polypro or merino) inside a big heavy mitten is the best system to use. Thats what I use here, a poly pro glove inside a Outdoor research mit. seems to be working ok

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not sure if you're asking what gloves for daily work protection OR gloves for field care.

I prefer Mechanix gloves for light to medium duty trips on the river. I bring two new pair. One set can dry while i wear the other set. They're thin enough to feel your junk, and dexterity and sensitivity is important.

For hard laborious trips i bring leather work gloves. Rarely situations where two pair of Mechanix gloves wont due.

Gloves for cold weather: Wool gloves with mitten flap to keep fingers protected from wind and exposure....works well in wet environments.

Gloves for colder weather: Goretex barrier and loose-fitting. Rarely use but nice to have.

Latex gloves for butchering: rarely use anymore, get tired of them tearing and they also restrict circulation which reduces dexterity with a knife. I wash thoroughly and scrub nailbeds when finished.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Forgot to mention...

I use sports tape and consider this part of my "glove kit." I tape my fingers when they crack or have open cuts, which reduces paid and fosters healing. Open wounds hurt when exposed to air, and healing is prolonged due to exposure to dirt and yuk. It's lightweight, cheap and effective insurance.

OP
Robinhood21
Forgot to mention...

I use sports tape and consider this part of my "glove kit." I tape my fingers when they crack or have open cuts, which reduces paid and fosters healing. Open wounds hurt when exposed to air, and healing is prolonged due to exposure to dirt and yuk. It's lightweight, cheap and effective insurance.

Good info, thanks Larry!

mcseal2

WKR
I have a pair of the Sitka Downpour GTX gloves I plan to take and a couple pairs of older Sitka Traverse gloves. I also plan to take the older Kuiu Yukon waterproof liners I have that fit over the Traverse gloves. The Traverse gloves dry fast if they do get wet and having 2pr lets me trade them out I figure. I will take the tape too, good tip there. I spent to much on gloves over the years, but I have more trouble keeping my hands warm and dry than anything else it seems.

OP
Robinhood21
The Simms exstream fold over mits look like they would be a great glove to use. I’m going to look more into them

Atlas snow blower gloves...
...as stated, when it's 35 degrees and raining sideways, most gear just won't cut it....
...throw in riding a four wheeler through willows, tall grass and alders, "breathable" becomes "laughable"...:D