Transporting European Moose from AK

I'm looking for suggestions. I'm hunting moose in September in AK. I was planning on shipping the meat and antlers on Alaska Express Trucking. They can no longer do europan mounts. I've had my heart set on an european moose mount since I was a kid. Does anyone have a suggestion on shipping this home. I'm guessing the only option is to have it crated and shipped.

Crated and shipped (later) is how I've done every bull I've killed. It's definitely the easiest and least hassle I think....though not cheap at all. The main issue is the skull which is difficult to protect (nasal bones) from damage in transit. A fresh skull also has the potential to leak/drain fluids, and that can derail shipment. Good luck on your hunt.

Great looking moose K1!

Alaska airlines lets you check them in as baggage now correct? Wouldn’t that be the easiest route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking back over the years, I can't remember anyone relating how they got their full-size euro skull/antlers on the plane home with them. Antlers alone...yes. That big juicy unbleached skull is another matter entirely. I've thought about cutting the antlers from the skull and packaging the skull (by itself) for the flight home along with antlers. I'd still have to pay to fly it all home, and then have a taxidermist do the skull bleaching and then the antler reattachment and then the...whew. It's just easier to get the work done in AK and then have it crated or boxed and shipped. I'm sure a guy could save himself some money by doing it all the harder and more complicated way. The questions are how much savings and how much work?

I can relate one adventure. A friend killed a fine bull and decided to ship the skull/antlers home himself via USPS. He knew the regs and how to do it. I don't recall for sure, but he either took one or both antlers off at the pedicle. He boxed it well and the post office accepted it for a normal parcel post shipment. Unfortunately that's the slow boat from AK to Seattle and then by truck to the east coast. 3-4 weeks in transit is typical and 6 isn't uncommon. Things must have gotten pretty ripe. He didn't get the package until WAY later (months) and I recall some discussion about whether he would ever see it.

mpg07

Lil-Rokslider
Just cut the antlers off below the pedicle then ship how you would like. Then have your taxidermist mount them on a reproduction skull. I do this all the time for my customers.

Droptine

FNG
I hunted out of Bethel last year and there was a bunch of guys taking there's on the plane. I thought you couldn't do that so I caped mine and put it on the express truck. Wish I had known. The express guy did everything he promised but man is that dude a smart a$$!!!!

I hunted out of Bethel last year and there was a bunch of guys taking there's on the plane. I thought you couldn't do that so I caped mine and put it on the express truck. Wish I had known. The express guy did everything he promised but man is that dude a smart a$$!!!!

A question for clarification: You're talking about a full-skull (uncut) European moose rack going on a commercial airliner and all the way home....correct?

Droptine

FNG
They were all wrapped up when I seen them but looked like whole skull to me.

Droptine

FNG
How do the reproduction skulls look? I got my cape but don't really want to spend the cash to have it mounted. Rather put that money towards next hunt.

cnelk

WKR
This is how my 60" alaskan moose arrived at my house - not cheap by any means and I wouldnt do it this way again

FE37DF1.jpg

70sTUWs.jpg

KJH

WKR
You can take a fully padded and VERY wrapped 64" moose skull and antlers on Alaska Airlines home as checked baggage... It worked in 2017 as long as it stayed at 99lbs or under.