Euro vs shoulder??

Wapiti406

WKR
Finally drew a Montana moose tag after 18 years of applying. I’m just going to assume this will be the only moose I ever harvest. For those of you that have harvested Shiras moose and went either euro or shoulder mounts would you mind posting pics of the final product?

In general, I have never been the biggest fan of shoulder mounts unless it is a truly outstanding buck/bull. I’m also not sure how I’d like a moose shoulder mount on 8’ walls. I’d like to see as many different head positions of shoulder mounts and how much room the mount takes up before September arrives. I have always liked a clean looking euro mount, but I’m not sure if a euro mount would do justice for a (likely) once in a lifetime permit.

Also, for those of you that did go the shoulder mount direction, how much of a pain in the ass was is to cape the bull in the field by yourself?? For those that went with a euro mount and sold the cape, how much did you get for it?

Haven't done a Shiras.... but euro every time for me. Don't have a photo handy, but the only moose that I have hanging inside is euro and I like it. Can't imagine even a smaller shiras moose with anything less than cathedral ceilings, and even then I'd prefer the euro look.

bsnedeker

WKR
Finally drew a Montana moose tag after 18 years of applying. I’m just going to assume this will be the only moose I ever harvest. For those of you that have harvested Shiras moose and went either euro or shoulder mounts would you mind posting pics of the final product?

In general, I have never been the biggest fan of shoulder mounts unless it is a truly outstanding buck/bull. I’m also not sure how I’d like a moose shoulder mount on 8’ walls. I’d like to see as many different head positions of shoulder mounts and how much room the mount takes up before September arrives. I have always liked a clean looking euro mount, but I’m not sure if a euro mount would do justice for a (likely) once in a lifetime permit.

Also, for those of you that did go the shoulder mount direction, how much of a pain in the ass was is to cape the bull in the field by yourself?? For those that went with a euro mount and sold the cape, how much did you get for it?

Wow, you are a brave man asking for mounting ideas this early! I would be totally paranoid about jinxing myself by assuming success! LOL!

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
Wow, you are a brave man asking for mounting ideas this early! I would be totally paranoid about jinxing myself by assuming success! LOL!

Ha, I hope I'm not jinxing myself. I just don't want to get one on the ground then start thinking "WFT do I do now??".

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
The height and width is something to think about but also consider the depth on a shoulder mount moose. My buddy had a smaller Canada moose shoulder mounted and if I recall correctly it stuck out 54 inches from the wall. Yes, 54. We had to remove one of his windows to get it in his house.

I have a relatively big home and high ceilings.... and I still don't have any desire to hang a moose mount. I'm probably in the minority, but I just think the mounts become obtrusive and distracting within the room. I hunt the heck out them every year and have a number of Euros to display, but even most of these stay out of sight in an unused room. And for the record I think a 10-12' ceiling is completely minimal for a moose mount. An 8' ceiling makes a moose head look artificially crammed into a room.

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
I vote full body. It will give everyone a realistic feeling of being in the woods when they walk into your house...assuming people can still fit.

cnelk

WKR
Euro for me -

My Shiras and Alaska Yukon

ByahNXU.jpg

I never really liked Euro’s so I always either did shoulders or rugs, but recently Euro’s have started growing on me. So, a couple years ago I had a goat done and I think I might start doing a few more. You definitely need taller ceilings for moose shoulders. The ceilings in this room are 20’.
6bbe54439c69ff76c67b44d8320ba246.jpg

5fbb443ccec433b3727ac5314007a067.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mpg07

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a large room with 8' ceiling you could look at having a shoulder mount pedestal done with altered pose. As far as not getting it into a room, i always make sure i cover this with my clients. If its not a record book animal i will at least cut and pin one side of it to make it removable. Find a good taxidermist they should be able to work with you before you go on your adventure trip. It might be a once in a lifetime chance make it all count. Best of Luck

Axlrod

WKR
Have 2 Mt shiras euros mine and my son's. Taxidermist is a friend I gave him the capes for the euros. Have a hunting buddy that shot one a few years back he did a euro and had the hide tanned and has it hanging on a wall.

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
Have 2 Mt shiras euros mine and my son's. Taxidermist is a friend I gave him the capes for the euros. Have a hunting buddy that shot one a few years back he did a euro and had the hide tanned and has it hanging on a wall.

How does the hide look on the wall? I'm not sure if I ever seen a tanned moose hide.

20e259fe77e87b43ddd3d7f4308e289e.jpg
f1e9627e42fa3a7171b74a7ab84311fd.jpg
d501d097e7aab1c5f4183d8b0d2fbf9e.jpg
2e7424cec117e5e35cef5f69ddba0885.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey just opening up an old thread. Got a good moose this fall and I like what you have done with the barn wood in the back ground. Couple questions for you if you don't mind. How did you construct the barn wood backdrop and how did you secure it to wall? Also how did you secure the antlers the the barnwood? Thanks.

FLAK

WKR
I'd prolly have to go Euro. No room for a shoulder moose.
I've really preferred the euros for the past decade or so.
Main reason is its something I can do myself for free.
I've gotten tired of paying big $$$ for sub par mounts.

Fitzwho

WKR
I'm a euro fan myself. If you have the room for a shoulder/pedestal mount, by all means go that way. To me a moose skull is interesting enough that I wouldn't want to leave it in the woods.

Part of why I like euro mounts is that I can pick the mount up and admire it in my hands if I so wish. Hard to do that with a shoulder mount. With a moose I would do it so I can pull it down and hand it to people who come over so they can get a glimpse of just how big those animals are.

Sevens

WKR
The height and width is something to think about but also consider the depth on a shoulder mount moose. My buddy had a smaller Canada moose shoulder mounted and if I recall correctly it stuck out 54 inches from the wall. Yes, 54. We had to remove one of his windows to get it in his house.
Had this with my cape buffalo. It sticks out 45” from the wall; that eats up space in a room quick.

I think a shoulder mount moose is a great mount and I prefer shoulder mounts over euro mounts, but definitely keep in mind the space requirement. Could always tan the cape and store it should you later decide you wanted a shoulder mount and or have more space available.