Who uses a cot?

We'll be flying in on a beaver so we don't have to worry too much about weight.
Was weighing my options on a cot. Never slept on one before but I am thinking about it if it can make it that much comfier on a 10-15 Day hunt.

What do you guys think?

I have a cot that I use in the bed of my truck or if I'm base-camping in my tepee.

I sleep great on it, much better than on the ground. My typical setup is the cot with a closed cell foam pad and my sleeping bag zipped open like a quilt. It's great with a wood stove to warm the boots.

CorbLand

WKR
I have never slept on one but have laid on a couple of those Therm-a-Rest lite weight cots. They are super comfy for the size and weight.

I have one from Sportsmans Warehouse, which I believe is made by ALPS. Weighs about 10 pounds and is way comfy. Spent plenty of nights under the pickup on one. They are like $40 and it has a permanent home in the tool box of my pickup.

I have both the thermarest and the helinox. In my opinion, the helinox is a much better cot, as it’s way simpler to set up, less pieces and more sturdy. Neither on really packs well.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I take a cot whenever weight and space allow. I like the standard cots. They give you a seat and you can store all your gear underneath to free up floor space.

Absolutely take a cot! I use a cot for all my base camps where wt. isn't too big of an issue. The sleep that I get on a cot and pad is way better than with just a pad on the ground, plus, like what's already been stated, they double as a nice place to sit.

CorbLand

WKR
Sleeping under your truck on a cot, you running 44" mudders? :)

Nope. Just a leveled tundra. It’s a little tight. You don’t want to be awoken with a start. It hurts when you do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJH

WKR
I'd rather take a small cot than most other things. If you have the space and weight, its worth it!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve found the 2-3 pounds my Helinox cot and chair weigh give me an immense amount of comfort and I take them everywhere.

I’ve found the 2-3 pounds my Helinox cot and chair weigh give me an immense amount of comfort and I take them everywhere.

Do you take them when you’re spiking out? I took my Helinox cot with me last year when I spiked out on a goat hunt, but I didn’t think I’ll take it this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I hike back in and set up a “base camp”. If I have to move I move the whole thing. I’ve never been a bivy guy moving with the game every day.

FlyGuy

WKR
Same. I use a helinox cot from a basecamp, which is usually beside my truck. I do not bring it or the chair with me for spike camps. I just Don't want the extra weight or extra trouble setting up and tearing down daily.

Ive never packed in a basecamp. If that were the case, and I was only humping the weight in once and out once for a 5-10 day hunt, then i would probably take it. I wouldn't mind a backcountry basecamp as that would be the best of both worlds, but so far I've been hunting a new and different unit every year and I just don't want to be committed to a spot that sucks.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I am thinking taking ultra lite cot on our fly in caribou hunt next summer in Alaska. Figure it will get me off the ground in my floorless....might be worth the weight.

A hunt would need to be incredibly difficult before I would leave my LuxuryLite cot behind. The 8 hours of daily use it gets always reinforces the value to me. Using it in a floorless shelter is about perfect, as it keeps my body and bedroll above the dirt. I slide a few small things under it for storage. My current cot is 10 years old and gets used annually, so that makes it a pretty good value.

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Thermarest mesh cot that I use in our Seek tipi when truck, boat, or UTV camping. I like the mesh so it's cooler for summer scouting trips and I just use a pad on it for colder ones. I won't use it for my moose hunt because Papa Bear provides cots, but like it for other hunts and scouting trips.