A dream come true!!!

joelbiltz

WKR
This hunt took place out of Smithers BC with Copper River Outfitters. Day one in the morning was spent setting up a base camp and periodically glassing the mountain top when the fog lifted a bit. Finally at about six that evening the fog lifted enough to hike a half mile to check a promising basin. We found one great mature looking goat up in the cliffs about 3/4 way up the mountain so the decision was made to chase that goat in the morning. We left base camp at 8AM the next morning. Hiked for about three hours to the base of the mountain where we set up a spike camp and located the goat again. We then started on what ended up being about a four hour climb. We finally found the goat one last time and I was able to steady my MOA Extreme Summit 300 Win and quickly put two 215 Berger hybrids dropping him in his tracks at 217 yards. Not wanting to take a chance for him to tumble I added one more insurance shot putting him right back in his bed for good. The guides knew how treacherous the cliffs and terrain was the elected to have me stay behind for the recovery. After six hours of climbing and repelling down to the goat they finally made it to the goat to skin and quarter out. They finally got back to me at about 11:30. We then headed back down to spike camp where we arrived at 2AM. A quick meal of Mountain House we all tucked into our tents and slept until 9AM the next morning. After a quick breakfast we took the best pictures we could considering and packed up camp for a six hour hike with very heavy packs back to base camp. The mountain goat has been #1 on my list for years and years and I am proud to say I was able to kill an outstanding 6.5 year old Billy.

Last edited:

daddie63

WKR
Congrats on your #1 animal. It's mine also and I better get to it soon I'm not getting any younger and the terrain isn't looking any easier either. Nice goat congrats.

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
Nice goat, congrats. Did you hunt with Jim, Bret or Ryley? All are excellent guides. I've hunted with them 4 times and had a blast every time.

daddie63

WKR
Joelbiltz,

Curious if there was any of your gear that stood out and you would definitely recommend or any that youre cutting out of your list and looking to replace? Thank you

OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
The # 1 most useful piece of gear for this hunt was no doubt good quality trekking poles. They really helped in the nasty ups and downs. Quality Raingear also. Myself and my packer both used Sitka and the guide used Atc'Terex. We all used Swarovski optics to be able to judge the goat we wanted to go after. Quality well broken in waterproof boots are a must. And last but not least is you don't have to be in top physical shape to kill a goat. Obviously I am not at 6'1" 275. Most important is having the drive and will to get it done and the mentally toughness to get through the climbing and the weather conditions.

Joelbiltz,

Curious if there was any of your gear that stood out and you would definitely recommend or any that youre cutting out of your list and looking to replace? Thank you

daddie63

WKR
All good info thanks joelbiltz. Im hoping the mental toughness will get me through as well since Im no lightweight myself. Lets just say I look forward to your gear coming up in the classifieds for sale cause I know it will fit.

OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
daddie63 are you goat hunting this year? If so who with?

All good info thanks joelbiltz. Im hoping the mental toughness will get me through as well since Im no lightweight myself. Lets just say I look forward to your gear coming up in the classifieds for sale cause I know it will fit.

daddie63

WKR
No Im not, wish I was. Im in the early planning stages. I figure I better get going on it though since Im not getting any younger.