First timer....outfitter ?

HawkeyeHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Have been pouring any spare time I have into research for a perspective goat hunt for my dad and I...before anyone asks ages 55 and 29. Goats have been high on the target list for both of us and would like to start knocking out a few of these hunts. I'm down to 4 outfitters....2 in BC and 2 in Alaska. Most are frequently mentioned and come highly recommended as is the case with the one I'm most curious to hear more about...that being Larry Benda (Alaska Fair Chase Guiding) so with that said can anyone share more about him and his outfit? Any former clients with first hand experience? Thanks in advance.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Something to consider. My AK goat hunt was brutal but that was due to the adventure to and from the actual valley that held the goats. If I could have been dropped by a chopper, would have been a hunt I could have done with a broken leg.

My AK guide on the goat hunt said in B.C. that is more likely a hunter can either be dropped where the goats are or ride horses there.

The manner of how you reach the hunt zone may be an aspect you want to determine before cull any of the guides. Someone in their 50s (I am such a person) may be less gung-ho to take full measure vs. the mountain as someone a couple of decades younger. I have taken measure and have the t-shirt. Now I look for hunts that carry less risk of tumbling. Realistically, if I burn two days of strenuous hiking in altitude to get to the hunt zone then I am tapped out for several days. Sure I will still hunt but my core strength and balance suffers to the point I will take a few tumbles in the nasty, slick stuff.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
He was in my final 4, but I chose Lonesome dove and I could not have had a better outfitter for me. Photos on AK. goat tread.

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted with Jim Lancaster 4 times and had great hunts every time. He has Copper River Outfitters in B.C.. Just throwing that out there for your consideration.

OP
H

HawkeyeHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies guys...hoping to hear more and direct insight about the outfitter in question but also hear more from each of you and your decisions and experiences.

PMs sent

Thanks again

NMO

FNG
Bolen Lewis out of Terrace BC would be the top of my list. I did a winter goat hunt up near their area last year (BC resident so no guide needed) and they have wicked big goats, and lots of them. They run fly-in backpack hunts, and the outfitter and guides are solid people. I think they do a lot of bowhunts, and people of all ages. Unfortunately I can't help you on the outfitter in question, hope your search goes well and feel free to PM if you have any questions about that area.

joelbiltz

WKR
I also second Jim Lancaster of Copper river Outfitters. Great hunt big bullies honest. In fact Jim was so great to me I just booked another hunt with him. A sheep and caribou hunt at Nahanni Butte in the NWT.

BRWNBR

WKR
Dennis zadra of lonesome dove outfitters
Is a goat guru. I've guided
For him on several occasion. Amazing goat area and Dennis is a straight shooter. I refer clients to him.