2017 Utah Mountain Goat

12ring

FNG
Hello!

I have good odds of drawing a Utah Kamas/Chalk Creek, Uintas West, or Uintas Central tag in 2017. I would be very interested if anyone has any recommendations for one of these units over the others, and any actual hunt information they mind sharing. PMs welcome. I realize the remoteness of these hunts, and this is consistent with the types of hunts I do for elk and deer, so not an issue. I will of course plan on spending time scouting the unit next summer, if successful, knock on wood. Thanks in advance!

Hello!

I have good odds of drawing a Utah Kamas/Chalk Creek, Uintas West, or Uintas Central tag in 2017. I would be very interested if anyone has any recommendations for one of these units over the others, and any actual hunt information they mind sharing. PMs welcome. I realize the remoteness of these hunts, and this is consistent with the types of hunts I do for elk and deer, so not an issue. I will of course plan on spending time scouting the unit next summer, if successful, knock on wood. Thanks in advance!

I've never been in those units but I have been in the beaver and found tons of goats. Would be a very easy hunt (finding them wise) in the beaver if your points would allow you to draw that tag. I have a lot of info, pics, videos, locations, etc if you're interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unitas West or Central would be my recommendation for the experience.
Just getting in more "remote" country compared to Kamas.
You could make the hunt as easy or challenging as you want. If I ever draw I tag I will be packing in for the hunt but you can see goats off of the paved roads in places if that suits your needs better. Probably the easiest goat hunt in UT is the Willard Peak hunt if your looking for that.

OP
12ring

12ring

FNG
huntstrong and mtnrunner- thank you for the info. The Beaver would still be several years out, but I agree that it would be a great hunt. I've spent some time in that country and accessibility does not appear to be an issue there. I am looking for the backcountry experience and will keep my fingers crossed for a Uinta tag. If anyone sees this post that has experience hunting goats in these areas (Uintas) please chime in- your advice will be invaluable. Again, thanks in advance.

huntstrong and mtnrunner- thank you for the info. The Beaver would still be several years out, but I agree that it would be a great hunt. I've spent some time in that country and accessibility does not appear to be an issue there. I am looking for the backcountry experience and will keep my fingers crossed for a Uinta tag. If anyone sees this post that has experience hunting goats in these areas (Uintas) please chime in- your advice will be invaluable. Again, thanks in advance.

Keep us posted if you draw! And Good Luck!

mcr-85

WKR
I have found them on the Beaver a few times, but never hunted them. I imagine I will be watching quite a few goats this year though. My mom drew the Sportsmans tag this year. We will most likely spend time on Beaver, since we live about an hour from the unit but I am interested in any info for the other units too. :)

mcr holy crap thats awesome. Tell her congrats.

12 ring you can go double digit miles back in the Unitas. Popular places like Red Castle are going to have folks around rather it's other hunters, fishermen or just backpackers. I have seen goats in secluded areas where imagine very few people frequent but they are always smaller groups if not singles but usually a billy when you find them.

If you are hunting the more popular places with the highest concentration of goats the ideal set up would be a horse base camp that you return to from day trips.

If you plan to search out there more sparsely populated areas you will want to be mobile and very likely want to come out at a different trailhead then you embarked from. This is where communication with some buddies and or a packer would be very valuable.

Hope that helps

I have found them on the Beaver a few times, but never hunted them. I imagine I will be watching quite a few goats this year though. My mom drew the Sportsmans tag this year. We will most likely spend time on Beaver, since we live about an hour from the unit but I am interested in any info for the other units too. :)

We videoed last year in August a lot of goats around and on Mt. Holly. We were able to watch about 16 goats from the ski resort side.

0cefc05d9cd291ba8d6adda095a4df99.jpg
75054fc8e51d5258e38863ea52138a4d.jpg

mcr-85

WKR
I've seen them on top above Puffer Lake and up Big John's Flat. I am going to start a post here in a few months when we can get up on the mountain and start watching them.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I've seen them on top above Puffer Lake and up Big John's Flat. I am going to start a post here in a few months when we can get up on the mountain and start watching them.

They're definitely one of my favorite animals to just sit and watch

I know there's no season yet available but have any of you guys seen the goats over on the Dutton? We were able to find them in August as well last year.

mcr-85

WKR
This is the first year that they will have a hunt for them on Dutton. I am not sure if it is available to hunt for the sportsman's tag this year. I haven't seen them on Dutton but have heard of where others have found them. We usually elk on the South end of Dutton.

This is the first year that they will have a hunt for them on Dutton. I am not sure if it is available to hunt for the sportsman's tag this year. I haven't seen them on Dutton but have heard of where others have found them. We usually elk on the South end of Dutton.

Some good elk there too. Woke up that same morning we found the goats to a Bull bugling. I doubt I draw it this year but it's where I put in for on elk.