Goat Hunt gear list?

Hey guys, just booked my air flights for my 17 goat hunt in BC. This will be my first alpine hunt like this. I believe I have my gear list all ready to go but just wanted to share with everyone who has hunted goats to see if anything can be added or subtracted. I will be hunting SE BC from Sept 23 to Oct 2.

Clothing:
Sitka Jetstream jacket
Sitka Ascent Jacket
Sitka Cloudburst Jacket
Sitka Kelvin lite hoody
Sitka Timberline pant
Sitka Ascent pant
Sitka Cloudburst pant
First Lite Allegheny merino bottom x2
First Lite Llano crew merino top x2
Sitka merino boxers x3
Sitka cap
Sitka Beanie
Sitka Jetstream glove
Sitka Shooter glove
Seal Skinz waterproof glove
Smart wool socks x5
Kenetrek Mtn Extreme uninsulated boots w/ extra laces
Crocs
Leukotape

Optics
Vortex Razor 16x48 spotter w/ tripod
Vortex Viper 10x Binos
Vortex Ranger 1000 rangefinder
Alaskan Guide Creations Bino harness

Stone Glacier Sky 5100 w/ rain cover
Mtn. Hardwear 0 degree synthetic bag
Thermarest sleeping pad
large compression sack
Game bags
Black Diamond alpine FLZ trekking poles
Cannon digital camera w/ 1 extra battery
Gopro hero 5 w/ some accessories
phone skope adapter for hero 5 (once available)

Rifle
Custom Remington 700 W/ HS Precision stock / timney trigger (7mm Rem Mag)
Vortex viper pst 4-16x50 scope
2 boxes federal premium 160 gr nosler partition ammo
Small cleaning kit

Again any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Nick

ljalberta

WKR
There's a lot of guys on here with far more experience than I and I'm sure they'll chime in. But if it was me, I wouldn't be hauling so many clothes after any goats. Some of those coats/pants might be repetitive in your system, and you may be able to trim some weight there.

I however, have never done a hunt of that length before. But it sounds like it'll be an unforgettable trip.

JP100

WKR
im not real familar with the sitka stuff but seems you have more than one of the same.
One pair of pants is enough, one insulation jacket, one set of rain gear and maybe one soft shell jacket, one pair of gloves.

Apart from that gear looks good. maybe small first aid/survival gears and your set

I would say that it just really depends on how you are getting to Basecamp. The duplicate clothing items like 3 boxers and 2 Alleghany bottoms are fine if you are riding a horse to base camp. if it's all going in on your back I would just take 1 of each (maybe 2 boxers but I hunted Colorado elk for 5 days in 1 part of boxers with Alleghany bottoms to sleep in)

I have been guilty of packing just in case items on many backpacking and fishing trips. For my first backcountry hunt this year I cut everything in half and still had many things I never touched

charvey9

WKR
Are you hiking or flying into camp?

If you are flying or getting packed in on horse, a little extra gear doesn't matter much. If you are on foot, you could cut some weight by leaving behind the extra clothing. 1 pair of base layers, 2 pair of socks, and 2 pair of underwear is all I ever take. Assuming you have access to some water, can always do a little laundry every few days. I'd also cut it down to one pair of hunting pants and one pair of rain pants. The crocs are also heavy and bulky. Check out some of the other options for camp shoes. I use barefoot running shoes or neoprene ankle socks, which are just a few ounces per pair.

The only other thing I see that sticks out is 2 boxes of shells. Could easily cut that in half, or more. I carried 10 rounds in on my goat hunt and only used one. I don't see the need for the cleaning kit either. I've never had to clean my rifle on a hunt.

Last edited:
IMO use your raingear as the windstopper outer and consider a warm light puffy jacket. Ditch the Jetstream and ascent jacket. Softshells have minimal warmth to weight ratio when you are carrying it on your back.

OP
Nickziegler
Thanks for the input so far guys. This is not a fly in hunt. Horses will be utilized for base camp then after that hiking could be done to spike camps. I was thinking that I could probably leave the Ascent pant and jacket home. Weight in my pack isn't the biggest issue to me. I would rather have extra socks / boxers and base layers and not use them rather that need them and not have them. They could always be left at base camp. I will be 27 at the hunt date. I am from a pretty flat area but have been training pretty hard from the time I have booked the hunt so am feeling pretty confident.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Like others said - cut back on the pants and jackets.

You definately want to add an LED headlamp and extra batteries.

You guide will probably check what you are packing up the mountain and some stuff he will likely have and no need to double up - ie. rangefinder, spotting scope, ect.

If you want to help with the skinning, deboning, ect maybe take a small knife. I like a 3.5" fixed blade, but a havelon or lock back will work too.

It may be flat where you are but try to get in some training hikes with a weighted pack. Try to find some hills, river banks, or even stairs to go up and down. Also do some side hilling to work on your ankles. Any goat hunt I've been on invovles sidehilling. For exercises try stuff like squats and core strengthening (planks). I like the Darbee HIITs routines.

For water I like a Nalgene and platapus.

Have a great hunt and post up a report when you get back!

Stid2677

WKR
Make sure to have some sort of traction aid, I also would not go without my axe/trekking pole combo. Gravity kills, I learned this the hard way.

IMGP2730.jpg

OP
Nickziegler
Thanks Bruce, yes I have a good quality headlamp and skinning knife, just forgot to add that in. I am lucky that I am able to workout while at work and have access to a treadmill that can go to a pretty steep incline that I have been going 2000 vertical feet a few times per week with a 45 lb plate in my pack and wearing my kenetreks. Also usually run around 10 to 12 miles weekly with occasional walks. Total gear weight as of now (including everything besides ascent JKT and Pant and only 1 box ammo) 51.6 lbs...I weighed myself with clothing I will be wearing during the hunt (including boots) pack alone with gun is weighing in at 38.6 lbs

BRWNBR

WKR
I'd ditch the game bags and tripod. Simplify your clothing. I wear one pair and have one partial extra. My socks go in my sleeping bag at night with my insoles from my boots.

OP
Nickziegler
Hey thanks Jake...this will probably be close to the same gear list I use with you for my kodiak deer hunt in 2018 with a few differences

kodiakfly

WKR
As others have said, no need for all the redundancy. No need for five pairs of socks or three boxers. I take two of each. One dries while I wear the other. Same with pants and jackets. No need for the Ascent stuff. I do take a couple of beanies. I'm bald, so keeping my dome skin warm is a big deal and I'll carry two with me so I've always got one. And when I sweat one up, it's so nice to pull out a dry one to put on for a sit. Two pairs of gloves is probably fine too. I'd skip the Seal Skinz.

I'd take 50' or so of paracord to use for anything from hanging game to survival, and leave the extra shoe laces at home.

The GoPro is up to you, but to me that's a lot of extra crap to carry and mess with on a hunt. I've used them occasionally while fishing, but hunting it's just one more thing to worry about, mess with and have to carry. But if you're a GoPro guy, take it. I now use mine so seldom I'm selling it.

And unless you'll be taking a bunch of landscape pics, I'd leave the extra camera battery at home. I take most pics with my phone and save the actual camera for dead animal pics.

And has been mentioned, a headlamp and traction devices. Everyone loves MicroSpikes, and I do too...in their proper place. A lot of people use spikes when proper crampons would be more appropriate. But that's a personal thing. Also learn how to properly walk in them.

And not sure how nit-picking you're getting, but I'd suggest some sort of basic survival gear for a bad day...fire starter, spare small head lamp, maybe emergency bivy, etc. Don't confuse first aid with survival. They may overlap, but they are different things.

I agree with what others have said regarding the extra clothes, ammo, and possibly the doubling up on optics. I don't know what the average temps are in the area you'll be in during that timeframe, but the 0° bag seems like it could be a bit excessive and heavy. Cannon camera, GoPro, and phone/Phoneskope= too much camera equipment IMO. No on the cleaning kit. Definitely take some kind of microspikes and a good headlamp. I assume your guide will be providing all shelters, food, cooking equipment, fuel, etc.? I say this because I don't see those items listed. Kill kit, water bladders/bags, water filtration, after dinner drink/celebration drink/night cap (bourbon)? Also make sure that the 5100 pack will fit everything. Oh also, ask your guide how far from base camp you'll be spiking and how often you'll be visiting base camp to help determine exactly what you'll need to take up to spike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
Man, I must be a dirty hunter. On sheep and goat hunts I only bring the pants and shirt I'm wearing. My spare clothes are long underwear and if I get wet I wear my long handles under my rain gear until my pants dry. No soft shell, just a puffy with the rain gear. Most times only one pair of drawers, I mean, right side, wrong side, front side, back side, repeat. :)

PNWGATOR

WKR
Nick,
The advice your getting is hard earned by guys who've been there and done that.

Precisely why Rokslide is my favorite hunting forum. :)

bcimport

WKR
Not a lot new to say that the other guys haven't mentioned already. SE BC goat hunts that time of year are pretty awesome. Weather can do most anything but I would gamble that you are likely to see cool weather and dry, the rain and snow usually starts to pile in later in October. Less will be more, that country is brutally steep. I like the ascents, the timberline pants feel too hot to me when working that hard. One pair of pants, one base layer, one LS fleece or medium weight top, a puffy and gear 2 spare pair of socks, one pair fleece gloves (one pair leather too if the outfitter says you have much devils club there), one beanie. I would rather have my down puffy pants than long johns too. Crampons to yak trax are a must have for me. Since you didn't mention a shelter or food I am guessing the guide is providing those items on arrival. You will have a much better time if you're pack without rifle, food and water weighs 35#. Once you put water and food in you would really want to stay under 50#.

I would also really encourage you to load that pack and find somewhere/anywhere you can walk some natural terrain, over deadfall, side hill and as much elevation as you can get. If all you get is elevated treadmill that is better than nothing but by day 2 you will have sore muscles where you didn't know you had muscles.

PM me if you want, I hunt goats in SE BC every year and can give you some more insights if you know a little more about where you'll be.

oenanthe

WKR
My socks go in my sleeping bag at night with my insoles from my boots.

If it works for you, that's great. Me? My farts might smell like roses, but my feet smell enough after a few days that I *never* put my hiking socks or insoles in my bag. I'd rather start the day with wet, cold feet than wake up in a funky-smelling bag. I always carry a pair of lightweight liners to use for sleeping socks, and I'll wash and dry them if I get a nice sunny day.

Wonderin' if you'll dry your client's socks too? :p