40" goat pics

amp713

WKR
Hey guys just wondering if you could toss up some pics of 40" goats...

May end up with a tag soon and I plan to do it with my bow and p&y min is 40".

I figure for a once in a lifetime Utah tag I should make it count. It could be this year or maybe in the next few but I plan to spend some time just looking at goats and trying to get an idea for 40 then compare while scouting. Originally my goal was just to fill a tag with my bow but I think that's setting the bar to low for this sort of a tag so I'm going to start putting in some time reviewing what it would take to at least get an animal in a record book.

tuffcity

WKR
These 3 go 45 or better.
545b65c6.jpg

4e362a2e.jpg

Hwithgoat1-s_zpsd299eeff.jpg

Good luck with your adventure, goats are a lot of fun to hunt.

RC

tuffcity

WKR
Love that rifle. Tell us about it!

lol Ok... it's a Knight Revolution. Helen shoots a 250 gr 50 cal sabot propelled by 150 grains of 777 pellets (3-50's) Other than one whitetail she's taken all her animals with that rifle. It "used" to belong to a friend of ours, it was his secondary ml, but the 3 of us were hunting together one year and he told her that if she took a muzzleloader (Longhunter) book goat with it she could have it. The first pic of her with a goat was 3 days after he said that. It's been her "mountain" rifle ever since. :)

RC

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Thanks guys for the pics it appears that as for bases I need them to sit about the width of the eye socket or so. Length looks like it is about the same as ears... roughly....

Obviously lacking a lot as far as field judging on goats, honestly my units may not hold a 40" goat but I'd like to be as close as I can get!!!

Other question that I'll post as another topic also but I can increase my odds but switching boundaries and going to an archery tag. However that moves my hunt mid august to mid September and shortens it about 2 weeks. If I stick with my unit the hunt mid September to end of October. The boundary change is simply hunting the opposite side of a major river than I normally do so that doesn't bother me much but idk what date would be better for an archery based goat hunt. The extra 2 weeks could be nice if snow doesn't keep them out of my reach but the earlier season would make them easier to spot and I expect easier to stalk....

Open to opinions you guys may have

ckleeves

WKR
Your looking for at least 2x the ear length. The B&C site has a page on goat judging that was helpful to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think they have released tag numbers for the new oil tags

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
hunt the later season, massive difference in coat quality. nobody will notice if a goat is 8 3/4 or 10", but they will notice a big late fall billy's coat.

goats are one of the toughest animals to judge. I've guided quite a few and sat next to guys that have killed/guided dozens, its tough going to tell if a goat is 35 or 40". The best rules of thumb i can tell you are 1) when the goat looks at you, those bases should look BIG and essentially touching. 2) almost three times the goat's ear length for length. The way goat's hold their ears when alive the ears will appear pretty short. The other metric to use is the billy's face length, but that can vary a lot. Top of nostril to bottom of eye is around 8". Imagine the horn flattened and placed there. It needs to exceed that by 1.5" to 2" for what you are looking for.

Even with those two metrics, you gotta have some luck. curvature, mass through horn, etc... makes a difference.

every goat is a trophy, and i don't say that about other animals. have fun.

Last edited:

Alpineman

FNG
I don't think they have released tag numbers for the new oil tags

Sorry totally confused with your comment. I am from out of state actually out of country. Would you be able to explain a little more about the tags please?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry totally confused with your comment. I am from out of state actually out of country. Would you be able to explain a little more about the tags please?
The OP was talking about the new utah archery only my goat tags. They hadn't decided how many of the new tags would be issued. Utah is split 50/50 ratio half to max point holders and half in random. If there is only one tag it will be random. That was my thought was it may be only a single random tag so he may not draw with the points he has. Oil is Once in a lifetime tag
Sorry to detract from all these awesome pictures. Amp hope you draw buddy

Alpineman

FNG
The OP was talking about the new utah archery only my goat tags. They hadn't decided how many of the new tags would be issued. Utah is split 50/50 ratio half to max point holders and half in random. If there is only one tag it will be random. That was my thought was it may be only a single random tag so he may not draw with the points he has. Oil is Once in a lifetime tag
Sorry to detract from all these awesome pictures. Amp hope you draw buddy

Thanks that is great and yes great images.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Thanks guys for all the info and I'm in for it. Made my decisions this year and changed a lot of my choices up now to wait and see how it all plays out!!

I'd bet any 3.5 year old Billy will make PnY. I'd learn how to judge age class based on body size, etc and then focus on the little things that make a goat score well. They kind of all look the same, except the older ones...those look much different due to size of their body. I think they are pretty hard to judge, but being able to determine what a mature goat looks like has helped me out while hunting them.

Either way, without Max points, I'll bet it's going to be tough to get a tag in Utah, personally. Best of luck.