Best state for N.R. Goat.

Alpineman

FNG
Interested to know your thoughts on the best state to hunt a goat, draw odd and what ever else anyone wants to add. Thanks.

joelbiltz

WKR
I would say Idaho will be your best bet. Some units have about a 1-10 odds for a NR. Colorado you are three years out before you can even enter the draw. Utah odds are very stiff especially if you are starting out. Montana there are a few decent chance draw area such as the Crazies. I finally bit the bullet because I got sick of trying and went to BC last sept and had a hunt of a lifetime and killed a B&C Billy of a lifetime. Lots of great hunts in AK also. Kodiak has decent chance at drawing and great hunting. Good luck.

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
Those Idaho odds are not what they appear to be, by a long shot! They don't factor in the 10% non resident cap.

Interested to know your thoughts on the best state to hunt a goat, draw odd and what ever else anyone wants to add. Thanks.
This is a no brainer, Alaska. You don't even need to draw a tag. If you got the money to afford a guide and over the counter tag, your golden. And actually you don't even need a guide if you have a second-degree of kindred that is a resident. Kodiak is loaded with goats, so much so that the entire southern half of the island is a 2 goat annual limit and the season runs from Aug.-Mar. I don't know, is there anywhere else in the US that has a 2 goat limit, or even in North America, for that matter? The northern half of the island is draw only, with a 1 annual goat limit, but even with the draw some of the areas have a 25% draw success rate (1 out of 4 are pretty good odds). Then, to sweeten the pot a little more, in the draw areas, if the quota is not met by the end of the season (Oct. 25) the area opens back up in Nov. to registration hunting.

Last edited:

Sodbuster

WKR
AK Troutbum

This is a no brainer, Alaska. You don't even need to draw a tag. If you got the money to afford a guide and over the counter tag, your golden. And actually you don't even need a guide if you have a second-degree of kindred that is a resident. Kodiak is loaded with goats, so much so that the entire southern half of the island is a 2 goat annual limit and the season runs from Aug.-Mar. I don't know, is there anywhere else in the US that has a 2 goat limit, or even in North America, for that matter? The northern half of the island is draw only, with a 1 annual goat limit, but even with the draw some of the areas have a 25% draw success rate (1 out of 4 are pretty good odds). Then, to sweeten the pot a little more, in the draw areas, if the quota is not met by the end of the season (Oct. 25) the area opens back up in Nov. to registration hunting.

Very detailed information.Thanks.

jm1607

WKR
Those Idaho odds are not what they appear to be, by a long shot! They don't factor in the 10% non resident cap.

x2, Idaho is sneakly hard to draw for this reason

Not counting Alaska or a BC trip, Montana and Wyoming would be my first two automatic choices..

Colorado would be 3rd and Idaho would be 4th on the list.. Although with the new rule changes for 2018, Colorado is going to get a whole lot harder to draw soon..

Last edited:

Afhunter1

WKR
x2, Idaho is sneakly hard to draw for this reason

Not counting Alaska or a BC trip, Montana and Wyoming would be my first two automatic choices..

Colorado would be 3rd and Idaho would be 4th on the list.. Although with the new rule changes for 2018, Colorado is going to get a whole lot harder to draw soon..

What are the rule changes?

This is my 3rd year putting in so 2018 I get in the pool. Will it effect someone like me or is it for new applicants?

Kimbersig

WKR
it will effect you when everyone starts putting in for colorado and after they all get their 3 points it will thrash your odds. i hate colorado is going that direction and allowing credit cards.

it will effect you when everyone starts putting in for colorado and after they all get their 3 points it will thrash your odds. i hate colorado is going that direction and allowing credit cards.

Can you explain in a little better detail what it is you mean about changes for 2018?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider

This. I spent 5 summers in kodiak and up until 3 years ago I had kin there. I am an IDIOT for not capitalizing on that opportunity. Seriously, it's really hard for me to talk about.

Kimbersig

WKR
Can you explain in a little better detail what it is you mean about changes for 2018?

Colorado has always required a paper application for Moose, Sheep, Goats and payment must be with a check for Non Residents. The change is that in 2018 applications will no longer be paper/check they will all be online with credit card payment. Allowing the use of credit cards opens up that state to many more people to apply. Many NR will put tags on a credit card and worry about paying for it later if they draw.

Colorado has always required a paper application for Moose, Sheep, Goats and payment must be with a check for Non Residents. The change is that in 2018 applications will no longer be paper/check they will all be online with credit card payment. Allowing the use of credit cards opens up that state to many more people to apply. Many NR will put tags on a credit card and worry about paying for it later if they draw.

Thank ya sir, I don't apply to Colorado so I didn't know that. I'm too late in the game for a preference points system. My opinion anyways lol

Kimbersig

WKR
Thank ya sir, I don't apply to Colorado so I didn't know that. I'm too late in the game for a preference points system. My opinion anyways lol

I would agree. PP states are a waste of money in my opinion unless you already have quite a few points or are a resident of that state. if you figure out the cost over the next 20 years its more economical to just pay for guided in most cases.

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
I was fortunate to draw a resident MT tag in 7 years of applying and buying the bonus points. Having said this I was informed by many Montana hunters that this was extremely lucky. I would consider the BC or AK for goats as it will fulfill your dream in a reasonable time period. BTW, don't even consider MT non resident sheep tag as this is like winning Power Ball! MTG

elkguide

WKR
I was fortunate to draw a resident MT tag in 7 years of applying and buying the bonus points. Having said this I was informed by many Montana hunters that this was extremely lucky. I would consider the BC or AK for goats as it will fulfill your dream in a reasonable time period. BTW, don't even consider MT non resident sheep tag as this is like winning Power Ball! MTG

I'm thinking that power ball is easier.