Fehr Game Outfitters?

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to find a good guide for first mountain goat hunt for my dad and I for fall 2018.
Came across Fehr Game Outfitters. Does anyone know of or have personal experience with them?
Have seen the recommendations for Bolen Lewis, Jim Lancaster, and a few others. Have started looking into them but Jim is already full and haven't heard back from Bolen yet.
Appreciate any information that can be shared.
Thanks,
Ben

Kimbersig

WKR
get on facebook and go join the Rocky Mountain Goat Hunting page and ask there too. I've seen their name but don't know anyone that's hunted. I can give you some recommendations if you can tell me your budget. Bolen Lewis is really good. Monashee is good they kills some huge late season goats. Scoop Lake is one of the top but you will pay for it too. Alaska is much cheaper than Canada as I'm sure you've figured out.

Kimbersig

WKR
FYI you may be too late to get in with some of the top goat guides. I know of some that are booked for 12 and 18 and starting to book for 19

OP
B

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Hi kimbersig,
Research I have found looks like can find a good hunt between $9k-$11k so thinking that target range. Right now the top three on my list are Jim Lancaster-Copper River, Bugle Basin and Beaverfoot Outfitters. Copper River is sold out for 2018 and Beaverfoot only has late season so probably need to open up the search a little more to find something in 2018.
Bolen Lewis sounds great but you are right, out of my price range.
Appreciate advice on any other options.
I haven't looked as much at Alaska. Any pro/con of BC vs Alaska?
Thanks for the help.

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard lots of great things about all the guys mentioned, particularly Scoop, Bolen/Lewis, and Copper River out of Smithers.

I don't know of Fehr, but it looks like they have a pretty professional site. Get a bunch of references.

It's hard to comment on pros/cons of BC vs Alaska as there is more difference between Southern BC and North Coast BC than there is between North Coast BC (and Smithers area) and Alaska.

The big thing you should be considering is your time and logistics. I know of hunts that are well below the cost you are looking at, for great goats, but the logistics are nuts to get into them. Lots of added cost also with floats, weather, etc... On the other hand, I know Southern BC hunts that are $12.5k for decent goats that have awesome logistics. A lot of guys will say "oh, I don't care about how hard it is to get in there", then after half their hunt is gone due to weather delays and uncontrollable variables, they don't view it that way anymore.

The number one, key component, when looking at goat hunting is who is going to be your guide. Not the outfitter, area, etc... THE GUIDE. You can be in big B&C goat country after 20 hours of commercial flights, after a 3 hour float ride into a hanging lake, and end up with an 8.5 billy you could have shot 3 hours outside of Vancouver, if your guide isn't on top of it.

hope that helps.

goat1958

FNG
Folding Mtn in B.C. ...Blair Miller...literally has scads of Goats. There is a post on this site about a 2016 hunt with him. I would not hesitate.. Ryan Danstrom Big Horn Outfitters in lower B.C is great also. Lots of Goats. Both these outfitters use horses. I went last three years with Ryan.

OP
B

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the recommendations goat1958. I will look into those Outfitters.

Ftguides, appreciate the detail. Agree on the logistics. I am in enough trouble with the mrs's for spending the money and time away from the family. I get about one hunt a year and last thing I want is to spend half the time in travel.

I am curious about how to know if your guide will be any good? I am new to using guides. Always been a DIY hunter in Kansas and never had to worry about it. Guess I thought if you picked a good outfitter it would lead to having a good guide. Any advice in terms of assuring a person gets a good guide?

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
Just get general details on your guide and see if the outfitter is willing to give you references that have hunted with that guide. On the other side of things, several of the guys people are talking about in this thread guide most of their hunters. That is generally also a good sign on these types of hunts.

OP
B

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good ftguides. Thanks all for the feedback. Have messages out to many of the guides listed.
Also came across Outdoors International and Russ Meyer. He seems really knowledgeable and helpful.

Four of the top five All Time goats are from the North Coast BC. The only odd goat out of the five is from just accross the border in the same mountains.

You can have a great hunt for goat anywhere in their range, the experience of a mountain goat hunt is heavily based on the challenge, it's the most sure footed and daring mountain species on the continent. This said if you're after the best goat ground it's North Coast BC, prices vary but good North Coast deals for scout hunts etc exist. Consider the North Coast as the Hanson Buck range of Saskatchewan for goats, the Kodiak bears version of goats, etc.

View attachment 54045

OFFHNTN

WKR
I talked to Fehr Game when I was researching a goat hunt. John seemed like a good guy and reasonably priced hunt.
I ended up going with Elk Valley Bighorn Outfitters in southern BC and had a phenomenal hunt!

View attachment 54501

OP
B

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I ended up booking with Dustin Roe, Backcountry BC and Beyond in his new territory up in the NW BC region. 2018 can't get here soon enough.

I work with an outfitter in Alaska that guide goat hunts on Kodiak Island. It is a limited draw area with applications due by December 15th. Worth putting in to see if you draw the tag. Great goats 1x1 hunts $8500 2X1 $7,500!
Mark Harrington
Full.Time.Hunts.
325-276-1414

Jlhcoues

FNG
I hunted with Fehr outfitters for a combo moose/goat hunt in 2017. If you truly want a wilderness, backwoods hunt this is the one. Two hour plane ride in from Smithers, then eight hours in on horses. I harvested a fantastic goat but no moose. To be fair after I took my goat I was so physically exhausted I didn’t hunt the last three days. My guide Dustin was one hell of a young man with great knowledge of goats. I thought I had trained and was in good enough shape but I was far from it, this was a very physical hunt, not for everyone, but that being said it was a expierence of a lifetime. If wanting more info feel free to call 928 651 2406 would be glad to share details

NorBC

FNG
I work for Bolen Lewis and yes we are very booked up, I will throw Milligans hat into this race also because I didn't notice him mentioned. He has a bunch of solid guides and he is our neighbouring outfit with the same huge goat genetics. That being said dustin is arguably one of the greatest guides on this planet. You will not be disappointed with him and I've seen some giant Billy's taken from the outfit he just purchased. You will enjoy your hunt!!

OP
B

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
That’s great feedback NorBC. Appreciate it. We are pumped to get up there. My gym time is already getting more productive having that goal and knowing what I am working towards.