reccomendations

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
looking for some info on what height boots would be best for a late season goat hunt , don't get much snow here in ga. also anyone use the yukon as their every day pants to cut down weight,thanks ahead of time for any and all info

Villreinjeger

Lil-Rokslider
I suppose you'd want to use full lenght gaitors as well?

In that case, above the ankle is tall enogh in my experience.

The lower mountaineering ones are superb when in steep gnarly stuff. Stiff, precise foothold and light. Gaitors keep gravel, water and snow out of your boot!

I also bought the Yukon to use as everyday Mountain pants. Will likely wear thermals and shorts if it gets too warm.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
thank's for the reply,already have gaiters but did not know if a taller boot would be helpful are not in that type terrain . my hunt is late nov. don't think i will need shorts, should be getting equipment list from the guide this week sometime , but feel free to give any other ideas that a georgia boy might over look,thanks again

kodiakfly

WKR
Late season I wear Sportiva Nepals. I don't like a super tall boot anyway, but as long as you have gaiters, any mountaineering boot is high enough...think about it...climbers use them on winter ascents and 20,000' peaks, so they'll work on a goat hunt.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the replys , i have a wide foot so that narrows the options some i'll focus on something from zamberland or crispi and see where that takes me thanks again, Billy

Jimss

WKR
Late in the season when snow is possible I would highly recommend Lowa Tibets. I use them all the time for mtn goat, sheep, elk, and deer hunting the west when it snows. When there's no snow I go with Scarpa Kailash.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
it's getting closer now,crispi hunter should be here by thursday don't ask me whybut went from over the ankle to calf high we will see when they get here. now the next decission should i even consider my mega tarp for spike shelter or just bite the bullit and get a hilleberg any and all suggestion are greatly appreciated thanks

Any quality mountaineering boot that fits you well will do the job. My boot of choice are Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX's and I also have a pair of Scarpa plastics but rarely need something that stiff and aggressive. One thing I definitely recommend is not going cheap on boots and making sure that the one's you do choose, you wear/hike around in as much as possible prior to your hunt. I've never liked the idea of buying boots over the internet, that I've never tried on. I would highly recommend that if the Crispi's aren't perfect for your feet, send them back. Having a good fitting boot that is both comfortable, and provides good ankle support is paramount, and can laterally make or break a mountain hunt. As far as pants go, I haven't used my rain pants as my sole pair of pants but I may try it this year. I plan on bringing several pairs of pants (Teton's, Chugach, Yukon, Alpine, and Attack's), and I'll decide when I leave base camp which pair go up the mountain with me. I definitely like the idea of only bringing the pair of pants that I'm wearing. I've been using a tarp (Mid) as my sole spike shelter for several years now and thus far I don't see a need to change. The shelter I use weighs just under 17 oz., in the stuff sack with everything (guy lines, stakes, and pole jacks), included. For me, stepping up to a shelter/tent that weighs 6+ times as much aint happening.

Last edited:
OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the reply ak looks i will stay with the crispi hunters best fit so far. i will take my guide pants as well but hoping the yukon will work for both at 56 i need to cut as much weight as possible. would you feel comfortable in late nov in your mid with the potenial for some really nasty weather its hard to test gear in georgia for alaska type weather thanks again for all the help

thanks for the reply ak looks i will stay with the crispi hunters best fit so far. i will take my guide pants as well but hoping the yukon will work for both at 56 i need to cut as much weight as possible. would you feel comfortable in late nov in your mid with the potenial for some really nasty weather its hard to test gear in georgia for alaska type weather thanks again for all the help

I would absolutely feel comfortable using the Mid in Nov. I have used it on Kodiak as lat as mid Dec., but didn't have terrible weather on that hunt either. The worst weather I've experienced in it has always been in Oct. never super cold temps or really heavy snows, but I have endured buckets of rain coupled with very heavy sustained winds for days on end. From my experience, as long as it's staked down well and tight to the ground, Mids are almost impervious to the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk