My Son drew Unit12 Colorado

Rockmonky

FNG
My son (16) drew a second season Nanny tag for The Maroon Bells! I'm going over maps right now and where goats were harvested in the past. I'm a little concerned of where the goats might go after the first season with all the added tags this year.
As long as I can get all our gear together we plan on going scouting in two weeks.
Any insight on this unit or goat hunting in general?

Thanks! TIM and Cody

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Talk to the biologist. G12 is one of the units that has two seasons and the kill locations can shift from early to late, hunters can develop fuzzy memory over where a kill actually took place and nannies may be in a different spot that a billy though if you have the same map I had then distinguishes a nanny from a billy on the map.

Billy hair tends to seem yellow compared to a nanny. More obvious in the snow.

I hunted G13 a few years ago which is to the east of your unit on the Divide. I hunter fell and died that year in G12 packing his goat out while a hunter broke his leg crossing a small stream the same year in G13. The rock is "rotten" on the ledges so hard to grip and climb the steep stuff. The avalanche chutes were actually some of the most stable routes I had to the top though can shift and tilt as you walk and crawl.

Snow is a game-changer as can hide hazards underfoot. We had snow flurries that accumulated to several inches on two days. Lightening was an afternoon hazard and not much to do but stay low on the treeless inclines and hope is not your time. Temperatures were usually sub-freezing at sunrise then would edge up towards 40Fs early afternoon then cloud up and rain or snow with lightening until dark.

Is not unusual for goats to flee over the top of a ridge at the sound of a rifle shot anywhere in the same basin. I suggest a Plan A, B and C so have a route to head out on at sunrise each of the first 3 days.

You are probably from the area but if are a flatlander be ready for burning lungs and double-check the rifle's performance at the higher altitude as bullet drop varies as temperature cools, altitude increases and humidity changes and even the powder chills.

Good luck and hope your son has a great hunt.

OP
R

Rockmonky

FNG
Thanks for the info! When did you hunt? We plan on hunting the first 5-6 days of second season then go back if we need to at the end

I've hunting goats a couple times in 12 - great country. Late season ought to offer the opportunity for a very nice rug, those extra several weeks can make a heck of a difference in their coats! Get in good shape and get in there and scout. If you get in there for a scouting trip over the next week or so the colors and weather should be fantastic.

Last edited: