BC Goat Hunt Gear List and Prep.

OP
Nickziegler
Thanks blockcaver...good idea to bring some electrolyte packets! Will do that. I am bringing uninsulated boots. My feet always seem to be warm no matter what!

I would optimize the effective range of my rifle. To do this you'll need a scope with an adjustable turret, accurate ammo, and time behind the trigger. Your whole hunt will come down to one shot. I'm a 7mag guy so pm me if you wanna talk specifics. Good luck.

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
Beaverfoot outfitting...Golden BC

Its still a little smokey here from fires, but hopefully cleared up by the time you arrive we are due for some rain. They no there area well but may want to check out
the southern border of there area on the front range.

OP
Nickziegler
Thanks guys for the smoke update! I have really been watching the wildfire map...hipe for some rain!

AXEL

WKR
A little rain fell, the heat has returned and it is still quite smokey. Small rain events usually cause often severe lightning storms and especially in the Kootenays. So, there are now new fires in the West Kootenays, fairly close to Nelson and this is making more smoke.

I was last there (home) a month ago and expect to be there, somewhat south and west of Golden, starting the 30th-31st instant to scout for Elk and setup a camp or two for solo hunts in some "sweet spots" I know of........I expect the heat, fire hazard and smoke to be as bad, maybe worse.

What can ya do, gotta go hunting when ya can, eh?!

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
Heading there this weekend to scout out the area , probably climb some of those mountains if its not too smokey.

hasn't been to bad this week, should be no worrys glassing. Mornings have been cooler and the evenings not as bad still warm during the middle of the day, but you should be able to find some nice shady or cool spots in there. Since your fairly close are you planning on hunting late can be some good goat hunting in there in November.

OP
Nickziegler
35 days until wheels up! Just crushed my first half marathon run in just shy of 2 hrs. Not a race runner and will probably never actually run a race but I have really come to enjoy it and the satisfactory feeling after running longer than the last!

daddie63

WKR
Nice work Nick. The countdowns gotta be killing you. Look forward to your story when you return. Enjoy it all.

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
35 days until wheels up! Just crushed my first half marathon run in just shy of 2 hrs. Not a race runner and will probably never actually run a race but I have really come to enjoy it and the satisfactory feeling after running longer than the last!

As of 1 today there is a ban to the public on all crown land (basically a bush closer) in the area due to extreme fire risk. This could be lifted by the time your hunt is but by looking at the map some of the area your outfitter runs should be out of the closed area as well. Seems like
new fires are staring just about every day some where.

OP
Nickziegler
Any other reports on that area? Talked with the outfitter yesterday and said it has been pretty Smokey, but looks like some rain pushed in today. Hopefully that helps with the smoke. Anyways, 2 weeks until it begins and I am in great shape and will make the best of it! Good luck to all!

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
Good winds in main valley this morning which helped in moving the smoke first time in a week to see the sky or mountains.
Light sprinkle of rain this afternoon. Now some sun but at least can see. Calling for rain wed to Friday so hopefully the weather man
is right and we get a good dump. Would be nice if got enough to open the bush back up.
Keep training and practicing with the gun and remember to take some pictures. Good luck.

AXEL

WKR
Spoke with old buddy in Nelson, West Kootenay, yesterday by phone. He was a BCFS L/Oman north of Golden, when we were young and says that visibility there is nil. Waiting for a call from my cousin, very successful BC hunter, in Nelson, too, to double check as I was to leave for Nelson for opening of Elk, tomorrow, still was too hot and very smoky.

But, good news, rained here, BC Lower Mainland yesterday, during the night and today, down to usual temps for this time of year and windy. Forecasts are for more rain, some wind and moving east, just what you want.

I would go, not worry too much and I think you will be OK. I spent years in the BC and AB bush in fire detectionésuppression and this weather we now have usually ends the really brutal heat and dryness. So, go, give er max and good luck to you.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
The visibility is terrible in the Kootenay. We just started getting a wind up which has STARTED clearing it out but still not great. As far as I know there is zero access to crown land permitted at this point in region 4 where I live anyway.

GL on the Hunt, post pics!