Goat rug

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately, I just don't have the cashola for a mount or legit felt backed rug right now.
However, in the event we get lucky, I don't wanna waste the awesome goat coat.
I was thinking about just getting it soft tanned for something like a throw over the back of the couch. Anyone ever do something like this? Got any pics? Can't decide if I should just lop off the legs and head. Or what would look best.
Any other ideas?

KClark

WKR
You could always go for the early cowboy look to use your goat hide.

29e78386b6331befef01ba6963a9de7c--cowboy-gear-the-cowboy.jpg

colonel00

WKR
I may be mistaken but I believe Luke and Becca Moffat have a goat skin that is just tanned and hangs over their banister. I'll see if I can find a photo as I'm pretty sure that's where I saw it but it was a while ago. You might shoot Luke a PM.

I think it would be really cool to have a tanned hide of a goat on the wall.

Well, that didn't take long. Thanks Google. Anyway, I guess I was way off as it was a full rug with head.

I can't post a pic as it was hosted on Photobucket it appears and those photos don't show on forums now. However, I can see it if you search for "mountain goat tanned hide" on Google and click on the images tab. It's the one on a stairway railing.

I'll see if this link works.

mountain goat tanned hide - Google Search

This direct link might work:

Photobucket

colonel00

WKR
Anyway, if doing just a tanned hide, I'd still keep as much as you can to keep the shape of the animal.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the cashola for a mount or legit felt backed rug right now.
However, in the event we get lucky, I don't wanna waste the awesome goat coat.
I was thinking about just getting it soft tanned for something like a throw over the back of the couch. Anyone ever do something like this? Got any pics? Can't decide if I should just lop off the legs and head. Or what would look best.
Any other ideas?

This is exactly what I am doing with my goat from last year. I just cut the legs and head off and I plan on trimming it up a bit to make a big oval shaped throw blanket, once I get it back from the tannery. My taxidermist called me last week to tell me that it was back so now I just need to go pick it up. My plan is to take it to a seamstress and have a micro fleece backing sewn on the leather side. I'll post up some pictures once it's complete.

You could also just skin it out like you were going to do a full body mount or a rug, and have it tanned with the plan of getting the rest done at a later date when you can afford it. That's what we did with my sons goat from a couple years ago. The only thing with doing it that way is it costs a little more money to tan when you leave the head and hooves on.
2235d2ffe4f8c4fe01eb78cb8af781f1.jpg

aff8f87bee499790ba9e8d3c1f9de8d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great idea to just save it until come up w the cash.
Troutbum- I'd love to see a pic of your once it's done. As something very similar to what you described is what we're leaning towards.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
I had mine made into a rug to hang over a railing in the cabin. I also did a shoulder mount. The rug looks good.

I had mine made into a rug to hang over a railing in the cabin. I also did a shoulder mount. The rug looks good.

I completely agree, goat rugs are my favorite way to display a good goat, unfortunately they can be kind of pricey and for some folks the cost just can't be justified. If however, you can afford it, and you have the room to display it, you probably won't be disappointed.
d8b15a2bb79919057add2803aa89a6c8.jpg

weaver

WKR
Beautiful goat, troutbum. Love the black white contrast.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a shoulder mount with mine and tanned the back half. It covers our fireplace now and we set picture frames on it. Goat hair is really cool, it's soft like cat hair.

Josey D

FNG
AKtroutbum
Did you ever take the one hide & make into a throw with felt on the inside?
Sounds like a good idea as we have a tanned hide & not sure what to do with, to many holes in the face / ear area to do anything else with.

AKtroutbum
Did you ever take the one hide & make into a throw with felt on the inside?
Sounds like a good idea as we have a tanned hide & not sure what to do with, to many holes in the face / ear area to do anything else with.

No, I haven't had a chance to yet. I've been pretty busy the last couple months with family visiting, traveling, moose hunting, now a friend up from the lower 48 to fish, then headed out on another goat hunt on the 28th, so I think it will be a project for later this fall/early winter.

Hughiam

FNG
Ive made throw blankets out of bears and musk ox back skins and it can be done with a goat. They have fleece on the skin side and some batting for warmth. Great for covering your legs on cold wither nights while watching TV.

I finally got around to picking up my last year‘s goat hide from the taxidermist and now it’s time to go ahead and start trimming it up a little and sewing the micro fleece backing onto it. The blanket should be approximately 5’x 4’. I’ll post some more pictures up when it’s complete.
048f02bce3ea40d498bc45388301b04c.heic

d68d76c8a6837f1043b11ce51d00f91b.heic

f0a4d8462fee7b9157cdfa07cf4dd2d9.heic

Last edited: