Goat rug

Stid2677

WKR
I would soak and stretch it first,, like when doing a rug. It will hold the stretch when dry. Then trim, stuff and sew.

I would soak and stretch it first,, like when doing a rug. It will hold the stretch when dry. Then trim, stuff and sew.

I’ve already trimmed it Steve. So you think I should soak it, then stretch it and tack it to a sheet of plywood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
I’ve already trimmed it Steve. So you think I should soak it, then stretch it and tack it to a sheet of plywood?

That is how I have done several rugs, tacked fur side down, dried with a fan. They stretch a lot, I would still try. Go easy, test pull first, hides get acid rot and can fall apart like wet toilet paper. Maybe soak a small part first and test it for stretch and then proceed. Wet leather gets pliable, so it makes for a more winkle free finished product.

A few years back, and I wonder if @Stid2677 and @AK Troutbum might have finished products at this stage?

I had plans on adding a backing to the hide for a throw blanket of sorts, but ended up deciding that it would require too much work. In the end, I just took it down to the cabin and we’ve been using it there as a blanket when we’re just relaxing on the couch, etc.
5337fdd934df767fc2208e7da68f562b.jpg

01b18212c003cbc745bc1d27c6db82fd.jpg

Jimss

WKR
Boy those long haired goats are gorgeous! I've had the same thing done with a black bear. One other idea may be a pedestal mount? You'll save a chunk of cash and they make a great mount!

Heidi V

FNG
Looking for info on how to cape out a goat head for a rug or just a tanned hide? Can anyone help? How do you get it off and over the horns without having a cut on the back of the head? Thank you!AC102F15-2E39-4A8E-A1D0-49E4CE85DC95.jpeg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I completely agree, goat rugs are my favorite way to display a good goat, unfortunately they can be kind of pricey and for some folks the cost just can't be justified. If however, you can afford it, and you have the room to display it, you probably won't be disappointed.
d8b15a2bb79919057add2803aa89a6c8.jpg

How much did that cost??? I sent a bear in to get rugged and now you got me scared.

Trial153

WKR
What’s everyone’s experience or expectations as far a longevity in regards to a rug? I been told by two taxidermist that with today’s tanning solutions the longevity isn’t there with the porous back of a rug and how moisture will eventually interact with the tanning solutions that remains in the hide. Both have steered me away from rugs for that reason

Bighorse

WKR
250-300 a linear foot just like bears for most taxidermists. I have one rug on a fine B&C specimen and a half dozen throws around the house. My dog sleeps on two of em. They are fantastic for daily use. Go ahead and use a hide as a hide is intended to be used. I do the same with quality bear hides too. Use em!

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
I completely agree, goat rugs are my favorite way to display a good goat, unfortunately they can be kind of pricey and for some folks the cost just can't be justified. If however, you can afford it, and you have the room to display it, you probably won't be disappointed.
d8b15a2bb79919057add2803aa89a6c8.jpg
Can I ask who you use as a taxidermist?

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
This is exactly what I am doing with my goat from last year. I just cut the legs and head off and I plan on trimming it up a bit to make a big oval shaped throw blanket, once I get it back from the tannery. My taxidermist called me last week to tell me that it was back so now I just need to go pick it up. My plan is to take it to a seamstress and have a micro fleece backing sewn on the leather side. I'll post up some pictures once it's complete.

You could also just skin it out like you were going to do a full body mount or a rug, and have it tanned with the plan of getting the rest done at a later date when you can afford it. That's what we did with my sons goat from a couple years ago. The only thing with doing it that way is it costs a little more money to tan when you leave the head and hooves on.
2235d2ffe4f8c4fe01eb78cb8af781f1.jpg

aff8f87bee499790ba9e8d3c1f9de8d7.jpg

AK Troutbum - How do you skin out the feet/hooves? Do you work down to the last knuckle like you would on a bear paw and then salt it? I have done several bears.