Spring Kodiak Goat 480

My partner bailed on me so heading to 480 isn't happening this fall. Looking at going down in Feb or Mar. With weather being fickle around here and generally bad that time of year I'd like to get a cabin. Was looking at Deadman Bay or possibly Frazier or Karluk Lakes.
I've seen some threads and YouTube vids about deadman in the spring. Has anyone flown into the lakes that time of year for goats? Or utilized one of the other cabins? I understand winter temps will determine access.

Josey D

FNG
Deadman Bay is salt water so it will be open, not sure about being able to get into the other two at that time of year. The cabin on Deadmans is big so remember that if you are trying to heat it. Have fun & plan on a couple weather days due as well.

No cabin on Karluk anywhere near where you'd goat hunt IMO, and it could freeze over.

Go in March if you can.

I'd go further south than those three places, if given the option. I'd also watch weather closely and go once it looks decent for a few days in a row.

No cabin on Karluk anywhere near where you'd goat hunt IMO, and it could freeze over.

Go in March if you can.

I'd go further south than those three places, if given the option. I'd also watch weather closely and go once it looks decent for a few days in a row.

For what it's worth, the pilot I flew with this spring recommended the last week of Feb as a good option. Said people piled into the few available good access points the last week of the season this year. February has next to no traffic, so take your pick of spots, flights, and goats. Second hand info, but that's what he said.

Less daylight though, so that's a legit concern.

I'd recommend NOT going the first week of February, haha... Unless you enjoy a week of hiking on snow shoes, deep snow and blizzards :)

Yeah... I believe he said the LAST week. :D The daylight shortage alone would deter me from the first week of Febuary. Actually, the first week of March would probably be the money shot. It was March 10-20 that I believe he said was the worst as everyone waited as long as possible. "Worst" being very relative though. It's still hardly a crowd I'm sure.

But hey, whining about snow shoes, blizzards, and deep snow? I thought you were from North Pole???

OP
W
Thanks for the responses everyone. Sounds like even deadman may not be that prime of a goat area. There's a Possibility of a boat option south of Old Harbor which would be awesome. I guess I'll see how much snow flies this year and where the goats get pushed to (I've seen them pretty much on the beach in the winter on the road system). Worst case scenario roll the dice, get down there and set traps for a week.