Grip and Grin Goats?

R

rebecca francis

Thanks Robert. And Bighorse, good luck on getting your billy. It sounds like you know your stuff and it's your turn to get one! Let us know how this season goes for you!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Come on up Evan, you can hunt them every year without a tag, just needs a guide due to non-res laws.

Bighorse, you've been in on more goat hunts than most on here. I've only been blessed with seeing 7 tip over thus far, I'm sure you passed double digits by now.

Here is Jake Jefferson, a guide up here in Alaska (who I'd suggest hunting with if you want to chase some critters up this way), with his archery goat I got to watch him take a couple years ago with his bow.

Dude is an absolute animal:
SANY0612.jpg

Great photo and animal Luke. Dude has the Aron pose down (which I have commented to him about). You would not be able to see the animal if it were me, you would be saying . "Why can we only see teeth?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
HAHA, Rick yeah I was shocked at the size of a mountain goat. After packing a couple nannies off the hill I was like "ok nice size critter to haul off the mountain" (pack with camp and critter was around 120), then I tipped over a 9.5" billy, that is a WHOLE 'nother animal all together. A big billy like the one Jake has is over 100 pounds of boned out meat. Plus the weight of the cape and camp, you are looking at a 150+ pound load or more than this guy cares to think about carrying very far let alone down a craggy mountain. :D

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I need to just find a way to do AK goat on the cheap! I just can't draw anything but bonus points here in MT.

Bighorse

WKR
Yup, over double digit now with my friends and family involved. Your welcome to Baranof anytime for some rainforest hill scrambling. I love that photo of Jake and that Billy. Thats inspirational for me. I like his style.

Goats really are one of the game animals in Alaska that are less expensive to hire a guide for. With populations scattered all over guides like getting people onto them. One outfit I'd personally consider is Muskeg Excursions. Johnnie Lairde (sp?) and his guides have helped people get nice goats out of the Misty Fiords over the years. I think it's also about what mountains you want to roam. So for me I'd go to the Mistys once, then the mainland, then Juneau area ect......I just like seeing goat country and enjoying the capacity to move around in it. Afterall a man only has so much quality time up in the high country durring his life.

Nice pic Aron..Mountain Goats and Antelope IMHO are two of the prettiest species. Did not notice the blood on the Goat in the over the shoulder photo until today

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep Rick....that was a pucker factor moment! We came up over the rise to see if she was down and when we poked our heads over I was lucky enough to have the camera ready.

It was a crazy day!

shanevg

WKR
This thread is awesome. Goat hunts may be cheap compared to other guided hunts but I am a long ways from being able to afford a guided hunt anytime soon. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for a drawn tag in any of the lower 48. I apply all over every year.

If any AK or BC guides want to take a goat fanatic on a hunt for charity and free advertising in the form of an awesome YouTube video of the hunt, hit me up. I'm always ready to go chase them! :)

muleman

WKR
Darin, Where did you shoot your goat? Looks a lot like Willard Peak, over looking the Great Salt Lake in Utah.