Kodiak Alaska Goat Hunt

goose21

FNG
Just returning back from my goat hunt with Wilde Alaska Outfitters on Kodiak Island. Got in late last Saturday and couldn't get flown into our lake that night. We knew bad weather was coming so we wanted to get in there and start hunting as soon as possible so we were hoping to fly in Saturday night so Sunday we could start hunting. Weather wouldn't allow us so we got in about noon on Sunday. We couldn't hunt on Sunday so we hiked around and did some scouting goat3.jpg

Here is a group of goats we found that had a decent billy in it
goat4.jpg

We made a plan for the next day and watched them until dark. Plan was to get on them right away in the morning because Monday would be our first day of hunting and starting Tuesday night it was supposed to get really bad weather so we were going to hit it really hard and try find a billy before weather got bad.

Here are some views from camp
goat5.jpg
goat6.jpg

Woke up the next day and headed out to where we last seen the goats. We couldn't see them which was good because we thought they were in the bowl that we saw them come out of the day before. We snuck around and got into position and they weren't there. We waited a few hours and nothing showed themselves so we decided to hike up the mountain to the other side and go looking. Saw a few different goats across this lake and my guide put the spotter on them and they were a new group but nothing good.

goat7.jpg

We packed up our stuff and started walking and then I looked over the other side and saw something white about 400 yards away. We quick dropped our bags and through up the binos to see a nanny and kid hiding in the rocks. We stayed there and started looking around and goats started popping out of nowhere. This was the herd we had seen yesterday. Then from around the corner the billy got up and started feeding up the hill. We made a move and got to about 215 yards. Made a nice shot and had a good hit and he ran uphill for a ways and I put another one in him and he was dead in the rock chute.

OP
G

goose21

FNG
Walked up to him and I was very pleased with my billy. First legal hunting day and we had a dead billy about 3 pm. We got to work skinning and cutting up meat.

goat1.jpg

Packs were heavy and we had to make our way down this steep rock chute but luckily my guide let me use one of his trekking poles. I am a believer in these after this hunt.

goat2.jpg

Once we got downhill we had to turn around and basically walk uphill the rest of the way to camp.

goat3.jpg

We were happy because tomorrow was supposed to be nice and we thought we would be getting out in the morning. It was about a 5 hour hike back to camp and I was cramping pretty good by the end of it. We celebrated with some PB and J sandwiches and a mountain house for supper.

We awoke the next morning to this

goat4.jpg

and were pretty dissapointed. We were at a higher elevation and we were worried with the incoming weather we would be stuck up there for a week. The guide knew of a lower elevation lake that he was pretty sure we could get out of but it was a 8 hour hike. We made the decision to go for it and loaded up everything and camp and started the hike. We walked right past the bottom of the chute where I had shot the goat so if we had known this we could have stashed the goat at the bottom and grabbed it the next morning and saved ourselves some work but we didn't know the front had moved forward. We got to our lake around 6pm and we had been making satellite phone calls to our air transport on the way so they knew we were coming and got us about 6:30. Just in time to get back to town and all of the hotels were booked for some convention in kodiak but my guide was nice enough to let me sleep on his basement couch or I would not have had a place to stay. Overall it was a great trip with a great outfitter and great guide. Made my bucket list of a nice mountain goat come true.

Last edited:
Nothing better than a Kodiak goat hunt IMO. Work on those second set of pictures, I'd love to see them. Did you catch the name of the Andrews Air pilot? I'm just curious who flew you in, and out for that matter. Congrats on a great hunt.

daddie63

WKR
Congrats on what sounds like a great hunt. Bucket list animal and hunt for sure. Would like to see more pics as well if possible.

OP
G

goose21

FNG
I think the pictures should work now. Not sure what happened on the second post

OP
G

goose21

FNG
I am not sure of the pilot's name. On the fly out we had one of their new pilots. When they picked us up it was one of their usual pilots. Had a mustache and was a great guy.

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
Great pix and awesome hunt. Im pretty sure i know what 2 lakes you are referring to. If your going to fly with Andrews, Scooter is the pilot you want

Broomd

WKR
Awesome hunt and fantastic pictures. Those of us that have done this hunt know how amazing it is.

Memories for your lifetime, congrats!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like an awesome trip! Congrats on a great goat!

Weather on Kodiak can be an issue any month of the year. Flight delays (yes even commercial) and no hotel rooms available is always a possibility. We got an extra 3 nights in town trying to get home from our deer hunt at the beginning of August.

OP
G

goose21

FNG
Yes it as Willy. He was awesome. Pointed out a nice brown bear to me on the fly out which was great because we never saw any on the hunt. The goat was about 8.5 inches. Fantastic experience and had a great time