Broadhead choice for a CO Mountain Goat hunt?

I was fortunate enough to get a Mt Goat tag here in CO--YAY! I am so excited. Someone returned one and apparently I was next on the list.

The tag is for a Nanny. They average only about 120 pounds.

Given the super high terrain, often windy conditions, and small body, I would think a quality mech would be a good choice, kind of like for a Pronghorn.

However, I hear that their thick coats of long hair, which are extra thick in the later season I will be hunting (mid Oct), can be difficult for a broadhead to penetrate...especially if they get wet. That leans me toward one of my top fixed blades.

For those who have had experience in hunting Mt Goats, what is your recommendation?

slvrslngr

WKR
Goats are solid, more so than antelope. Heavier coat, hide and bones. I'd use a good fixed blade.

Either will work. Just keep in mind that later in the season the wind can and will howl up there which can result in an arrow not striking the animal square on which as you know can slow the arrow down.

The day I shot mine, it was almost dead calm. It was a 13 yd shot with a COC BH and I still didn't get a complete passthru albeit I'm only shooting 58-60lbs from an older bow but the goat was down quickly with blood everywhere. Placement is key no doubt about it.

Jimss

WKR
Congrats on the goat tag! I would pick the arrow and broadhead with the best penetration capacity! If you are using a compound with adjustable poundage you may even want to beef that up as high as possible? Nannies will likely have pretty thick hair and hide in Oct. They can take a pounding and keep going! If you can wait, possibly take a shot when the nanny is a fair distance from any cliffs...or you may have broken horns and a super bloody cape! I've been on over a dozen mtn goat kills over the years with rifle and about 80% of them took 2 to 5 shots! The 3 I've shot only took one shot..but I was super lucky!

Jimss

WKR
One other recommendation would be to bring lots of paper towels with you when you are hunting. You can plug the mouth and arrow wound with them and clean up blood as you are caping. It will make you and your taxidermist a lot happier!

Shot another goat this year, same broadhead, about 18 yds, he was down quick once again. The trick on goats is to hit them good. If you do, they are done. If you're off, then they make you pay.