BC Goat Hunt

First off I want to thank everyone who gave me any advice prior to my hunt it was all very helpful.

I arrived at Calgary Airport Sept. 22 and had a nice scenic drive through Banff and Yoho national park prior to arriving at Camp for the next 10 Days. Surprisingly that night I slept very well. Then next morning I met my guide Chad. Who was 28. We got along right away and I knew he would do his best to make the hunt great.

Day 1 we headed out for a day hunt. I think it was a test run to see were I was for conditioning. I was feeling pretty confident in my self but didn't know what I would be in for. We parked the truck and started at the trail at about 5,000 feet elevation. The hike took us maybe an hour and a half or two hours through several chutes and thick timber and was about 3 miles in. When we arrived at the first basin to glass the view was amazing. Walking out of the trees to a theater like view of the mountains all around.

Right away my guide saw a goat climbing what looked like a crack in a vertical cliff about 700 yds away. There was snow on day 1 so it took a bit for me to find it. getting out the spotter we decided it was a nanny. We continued glassing and found 1 more nanny and kid and either a small billy or nanny.

After not seeing much more we decided to pack up and continue up the trail. We continued for another 2 miles of so until the trail opened up from the timber. Chad started to glass and I just kind of stood there taking in all the views. Right away he spotted a goat bedded above us at about 450 yds. Determining it was a pretty good looking billy to me, we made a plan to get closer. Slowly we worked our was up and out of sight from the goat. We knew if we could get to a shelf below him we would have a pretty good change at a shot if he didn't spook. Once we got to that shelf we were still out of sight so slowly made our way across to where we thought he was. Both of us dropped our packs. Chad was able to pick the goat out and he was still bedded above us at 130 yds. The goat didn't really seem to care we were there. I was able to work my was to a good size rock a few yards away and set up for a shot. after 45 minutes with the billy in my sights he finally stood. My gun went off and I immediately chambered another round. Chad said the first was a hit. I squeezed again and the goat fell. He did take a small fall but nothing was broken or no facial damage.

When we got to him it was such a great feeling. 3 years worth of training had paid off and I had my goat. He was in a perfect spot for great pictures. We got him skinned and quartered and packed him out before it got dark. I don't think any type of training can prepare someone for a loaded pack like that side hilling and descending in snow and loose rock. Thank God for trekking poles!

22140736_10214247795134364_8938175653322106545_n.jpg

Last edited:

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on your goat. Any more pictures. After getting him your first day hope you stayed around
and checked more of the country out. Did you have any other tags or see any other animals.
What did he end up at for horn length and age.

OP
Nickziegler
Thanks guys! I will try to get more pics up right away. I just got home from the taxidermist which is almost a 3 hr drive from my place. I had a tag for black bear and mule deer. On day 2 we saw a nice bear on the hillside from us when we were salting the cape and skinning the head, but we did not pursue him. Ended up seeing 2 other smaller bears. Just not much sign around. We covered a lot of miles. did see a legal buck on day 9 but was pretty far out and he was young so we passed. I had a great trip and enjoyed the scenery. It was amazing.
Horn length was just shy of 9 inches each.
Was aged at 5.5 when getting inspected.
We did also spend a whole other day helping another hunter pack his goat out, and that was our choice. I guess I wanted more challenge than 1 day in goat country.

AXEL

WKR
Good for you, Nick, I am happy for you and I bet you will do whatever you can to return to BC and experience this fabulous place. I prefer the Kootenays to any other region, but, all of BC is magic and maybe a Moose is on your radar???

Sheep, most species anywhere, but, you need to own a few oil wells to afford hunts for them. So, keep us aware of your next plans and best of luck with that. :)

Stew

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks for putting more pictures up Nick, personally like this one better shows you, goat and terrain really well, if you had been 6 inches more left the horns would have been against the snow. Definatly one I would blow up for the wall beside the mount. What did you decide for the mount. Good to hear you had a good time. You would see a lot more bears in that area in the spring time.

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
Good for you, Nick, I am happy for you and I bet you will do whatever you can to return to BC and experience this fabulous place. I prefer the Kootenays to any other region, but, all of BC is magic and maybe a Moose is on your radar???

Sheep, most species anywhere, but, you need to own a few oil wells to afford hunts for them. So, keep us aware of your next plans and best of luck with that. :)
So how did your hunt go in the west kootenay you said you were heading over there.

OP
Nickziegler
Thanks Stew!! ya I like both a lot. I went with a lifesize mount! Sounds like they have fantastic bear hunts in the spring, but just couldn't find them this 10 day period. Cool thing though when we were leaving and got about 200 yds into Yoho park there was an elk road kill in the ditch and a really nice wolf was trying to get on it in daylight!! Spooked a bit when we pulled up but stood somewhat hidden in the trees. Probably the closest I will ever get to a wolf. About 10 yds!!

OP
Nickziegler
AXEL so far in the next few years I will be hunting with Jake Jefferson (BRWNBR) for black tails, and hopefully draw a WI bear tag, then the following I will be doing a west texas Aoudad, Hopefully Quebec gets there stuff together and can re-open the caribou season. I would love to do a bou hunt. Definantly will be hard to beat the area of SE BC though.

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
Nick what part of WI you in have a friend in Ridgeland area that does a bunch of bear hunting(chasing)