‘17 Kodiak goat hunt in the books.

Just finished up my 2017 Kodiak goat hunt and currently sitting in the lounge by the airport waiting to go home. All in all it was a very enjoyable hunt but after being away from home for 3 weeks now, I am very much looking forward to spending time with my family and sleeping in my comfy bed tonight.
0837092e59386f1030bf3a31ddc15562.heic
3a9494b7db90a29b2cd4b5574e33b9c9.jpg

30a3067f4eb99a06562c0a7692178f8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Wait a minute; I thought there was going to be an old M94 in these pics.

Always love to see Kodiak stuff; heading back there next months but alas just deer for this poor non resident. Safe traveyand will look forward to more

OP
AK Troutbum
Wait a minute; I thought there was going to be an old M94 in these pics.

Always love to see Kodiak stuff; heading back there next months but alas just deer for this poor non resident. Safe traveyand will look forward to more

Yeah, I hear ya, I was hoping to kill a deer or two with it but my goat tag this year was on the northwestern side of the island and, unfortunately, that area got hit pretty hard last winter so the deer population was way down. I took the 94 but never saw a deer. I thought it was pretty funny in fact, I saw 10 times as many bears as I did deer.

Merc

FNG
My all-time favorite looking animal. Congrats on another great one!

Hopefully be on one of them in the next couple of years.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, I haven't seen too many goats tip over like that. Nice shot.

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome! Way to go. One day I will do that, this is just fueling my fire :)

OP
AK Troutbum
Thanks Jerry, although I think I’ll take a break from goats next year and focus more on sheep instead. After just chasing goats for the past 7 years, I feel it’s time for a change up. I also feel like the bears on Kodiak are starting to wear me down as well. Only had one minor incident this year but had bears around camp (both base and spike), continuously, and saw a total of 10 different ones over the course of 8 days. I’m kind of sick of bears right now.

Last edited:

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Jerry, although I think I’ll take a break from goats next year and focus more on sheep instead. After just chasing goats for the past 7 years, I feel it’s time for a change up. I also feel like the bears on Kodiak are starting to wear me down as well. Only had one minor incident this year but had bears around camp (both base and spike), continuously, and saw a total of 10 different ones over the course of 8 days. I’m kind of sick of bears right now.

I couldn't agree more, those bears on Kodiak can be stressful. Still sounds like you had a better experience than Remi Warren and Steve Rinella just had on Afognak though. They had a "slight" bear problem while they were packing out an elk...

RyanC

WKR
Looks like it all turned out well for you Greg. Congrats man. Love to hear the full story some time.

Take care and again Congratulations!!

Ryan

OP
AK Troutbum
What cartridge/bullets/range was that TB. Looks like it all worked PERFECT
.270, 130gr. Barnes TTSX, and I ranged him at 211 yards. I was hoping that I would be able to spine him and keep him anchored because there was about a 60-75' cliff, then a steep sloping scree shoot, right below him. I got lucky and all went well.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Hard to beat the .270. Always does the job so well. Got one staring at me ready for Kodiak next month...but have a new 300 that keeps calling to get broken in! Going to shoot some more tomorrow and see if I can decide.