1st Ibex Billy

I wanted to share and didn't really know where to stick this. Since he's a goat why not here. I had just finished up the last bit of goat meat I got the call that the mount was ready. I was having some shoulder mount remorse when I dropped him off but after picking him up I glad I didn't go the euro route. Shot him back in February in far West Texas and NO he wasn't taken behind a high fence, from a blind/truck, or over a corn hahaha. Still a few Texans that appreciate fair chase. There's a millionaire somewhere I need to thank for importing this guy's great great greats back in the day.

View attachment 60479

Attachments

• Ibex.jpg
    Ibex.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

JTHeaney

FNG
Awesome mount- where in west Texas? Alpine or Sonora? I used to hunt out there quite a bit but only saw elk and Julie's back then.

OP
T
The best guess is Persian Ibex mixed with some Catalina. Back in early 2000s when the drug cartels started getting bad a lot of Mexican ranchers pretty much let their domesticated stock go. There are literally hundreds of free roaming goats running the peaks of these backcountry canyons. Anyways there are Billies that you can tell have full blood Persian then there are Billies like the one I shot that are mixed. There are some Markhor running about too but they are pretty much ghosts. Seeing one of them is like spotting Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny