Glorified goats?

I've been on 3 hunts, 1 rifle, 2 archery all in the same state. Are goats just put on a pedestal due to their looks and long draw odds? It surely can't be the " hunt" as I find once you're up with them, they give you that look of " what are you doing here" in other words dumb.

EastMT

WKR
Maybe they were indecisive on whether to run or head butt you haha.

My limited experience is one look at you and they bolt to unreachable areas or look at you. I think here in AK they are hard to get to most times, and the challenge of that is the fun to me. I wouldn't say they are hard to hunt, just in hard terrain.

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

amp713

WKR
I've watched some climb vertically for thousands of feet and drop over into the next canyon, I've also walked below a cliff ledge that put me within now range of them. I've yet to get a tag but it's cool experiences around them that makes me want to hunt them... but to each their own, if it's not your deal try moose.

I guess to me the terrain that they live in is what makes the hunt. There has been several times when you look down and all it would take is one slip and you are dead. Depending on where you are hunting it is a very physical demanding hunt. Everyone has their opinions but to me a goat is a true trophy.

JP100

WKR
Ive been within bow range of Stone sheep, and had them walk into our camp. Maybe they are just 'dumb' aswell....
The areas you hunt were probably small draw areas where the animals see lots of people and not many hunters?

I cant get game animals in North America, when you go to a national park you can walk up and pet some animals(like elk in some areas). doesnt make any sense to me.

What you say above is true of most mountain species, its the terrain and the mountain that makes the hunt. Some areas with more hunting pressure will make them hell of a smart and hard to hunt.

True Mountain animals like Mt Goats use cliffs as they main defense, where else are they going to go if they are allready in the cliffs?

I once watched a mountain goat hunt that took place in Colorado, where these guys had drawn a tag, rode their mountain bikes up a heavily used man made trail, stayed in a cabin right alongside that same trail that people were constantly hiking up and down, patterned the goats that would come down on that same trail in the afternoon, then set up one day a few yards off the trail, in plain sight, and shot a billy with a bow, as the goats were walking by in single file. I think the hunt took place in early August and the hair on that goat was absolutely horrible. First off I don’t know why anyone would want to hunt goats in early August and if that’s what goat hunting was all about I probably wouldn’t enjoy it very much either. Without a doubt the absolute most physically demanding/challenging hunts I have ever been on have been goat hunts, the meat is superb, and if they are taken later on in the year, when temperatures have been on the colder side, the hair can be absolutely gorgeous. Anyway, that’s been my experience with goat hunting but I can definitely see your point. If they walked right up to me or I was able to walk right up to them and kill them, they would lose their appeal very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot one goat and been on many sheep hunts. The goat hunt was basically spot the billy from a mile away, climb the mountain, shoot the billy(which almost got away into the cliff because we blew our stalk right at the end), almost break my neck getting down to the billy and then almost break my neck a few times packing him out. It felt just like a sheep hunt to me. Like AK had mentioned, I have also had bighorn rams walk within 40 yards of our tent and let us take pictures and talk a loud.
The thing I found with goats is once you have 1 on the wall, the other ones will almost look the same, where sheep or deer or elk will all have a different look and story.
For some guys a goat hunt will be the most cost effective way to get into the same mountains that sheep live in if you are tied to having to go with an outfitter and put up the $$$.
Fortunately my goat was shot later in the year and has beautiful long hair and will look great on the wall once he is finished at the taxidermist.

What you say above is true of most mountain species, its the terrain and the mountain that makes the hunt.

This.

I've been on two hunts and have packed out three goats. Based on that limited sample, I would say yes, they aren't the most wary species. However, at least in Alaska it's the terrain and location that makes it an adventure. Particularly the last season northern hunts can be pretty sporting and require an above average level of risk management and field craft. That's the kind of stuff that turns my crank, so I like goat hunting a lot. If on the other hand they were relatively easy to get at... they yeah, it wouldn't be much fun.

As an added perk, slow cooker mt goat roasts are my favorite of the wild game species.

NorBC

FNG
Not dumb, or stupid.. just curious. You always want to come from above while hunting goats( goat hunting 101) it's generally a long hunt where you can experience everything from breathe taking views, to starring at the inside of your tent for multiple days in a row. It's my favourite species by far to hunt, or guide except for maybe grizz ( but that's out the window now)..

Come book a hunt with me and I'm sure you'll appreciate everything a lot more once you backpack through the North Pacific costal mountains of BC.. I see many 50" + goats that stay alive just simply for the fact that you will never get to them or retrieve them!!

Colorado had some goats that get used to people in some of the units. They were not wary. On the flip side some backcountry goats were more wary than early season sheep, which are way more wary than Bighorns during the November rut.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted goats in AK and in CO. Both cases involved remote areas. Goats were not licking up hiker urine or getting granola treats as is the case in some units in CO and other places. Goats are usually in the steep stuff and if you are in a unit without handy hiking trails then you are probably using avalanche chutes then some rock climbing at some point to get in range. I tumbled on both hunts. Lots of side hill and lots of places to slip as rocks tilted or the vegetation was snot slick. Lots of lightning on the CO hunt which is not much fun.

To me the goat hunts were physically the hardest 2 hunts of my life that spans every state out West other than CA and most of the species. Field-judging goats is tough as well. I agree the hair length makes for a great mount. The horns are not that interesting other than usually will be some nicks or missing tips from the goat tumbling down the mountain side and that is a story.

My advice would be to always look for hunts where the natural behavior of the critter is minimally altered by man. The more wild the animal, the more likely you will have to work hard to get a shot off and that is a big part of what makes a hunt memorable. Just my philosophy, though.

sneakem

FNG
Overall I don't believe they are the smartest animal on 4 legs, I'm sure there are a few areas where hunting pressure educates them more than others. I think its about the mountain experience, ultra physically demanding, putting yourself in places out of your comfort range. A hiker got choppered out in a body bag of the first day of my hunt, makes you feel really safe crawling out on the ledges after goats....

Sure there are exceptions to difficulty of the hunt with terrain and animal behavior, but I'd be willing to bet most are not a cake walk. You can choose to make it as hard as possible or you can choose an area that is more PG rated...lol Fortunately I choose to make it tough, the hunt broke me, but made for a memory that will likely outlast any other hunts I'll ever do. Every time I look at that full body mount in my house I really have to question my sanity...lol

To me this is what it was all about...
14192800_10208961924159250_6418623498234056495_n.jpg

14238314_10209080516883994_7505284262577156154_n.jpg

14291658_10209080516643988_33210706212003622_n.jpg

14100347_10208961928679363_3712403115352695025_n.jpg

gelton

WKR
I know next to nothing about Mountain Goats, but I do know its physically demanding and dangerous. A couple years ago a guy on here died after a fall while packing out his goat. Maroon Bells area I believe.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I know next to nothing about Mountain Goats, but I do know its physically demanding and dangerous. A couple years ago a guy on here died after a fall while packing out his goat. Maroon Bells area I believe.

That was in 2014. Was a few days before I started goat hunting in the neighboring unit. The hunter fell on the pack out. In my goat unit in 2014, a guy broke his leg and another ended up in ER.

On my AK hunt in 2009, every few hours the rescue jet chopper would scream overhead. I came back bruised and bloodied. At one point was hanging by one gloved hand 60' above boulders larger than my SUV. On the pack out, ended up on glacier then got boxed in as light faded so leapt over a crevasse by landing on the point of ice that was left when the crevasse cleaved a second time. Was tired physically and mentally so upon getting back to the Lower 48 I placed the leaping over a wide crevasse that was deep as the single stupidest thing I had done. Still is a decade later.

CO taking a breather as pushed up higher to the goats.
CO goat hunt looking down 9 2014.jpg

AK on left, CO on right
AK 2009 and CO 2014 billies.jpg

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have nearly the experience hunting them as some of the guys that have already commented, but I've put them on a pedestal since I was about 17 yrs old. I finally got the chance to hunt them last year and they damn sure didn't disappoint. But I was selective in the units I applied for. The last thing I wanted after waiting 19 yrs to hunt them was to draw a unit where the goats were so habituated to humans that the hunt ended up like AK Troutbum described. I also chose to hunt them with my longbow which significantly increased the challenge. Were they the smartest animal I've ever hunted, no probably not, but I certainly wouldn't say they were dumb either. Was it the best hunting experience of my life? Without a doubt!

x3OJwxX.jpg

3f4W57C.jpg

Wl281jY.jpg

3npvUAp.jpg

Y5HHDOP.jpg

as.ks.ak

WKR
I've been on 3 hunts, 1 rifle, 2 archery all in the same state. Are goats just put on a pedestal due to their looks and long draw odds? It surely can't be the " hunt" as I find once you're up with them, they give you that look of " what are you doing here" in other words dumb.

I’ll echo what has been said already by goat hunters with much more experience than me. Such as Gregg (Troutbum). Goats to me, are the ultimate challenge. Especially solo. They live in environments that are typically steeper and much more wet then the other white critters folks go bonkers over.

-Don’t get me wrong, I love me some deep curling horns and yeller eye balls.

Being in the alpine is really what it’s all about for me. And the chase that goats offer is absolutely what fuels me. Here in AK, I do firmly believe they are the ultimate mountain specimen. When you’re able to spend some time with them and watch how carelessly they jaunt up and down sheer cliffs, at least for me, it puts them higher on the pedestal they already so elegantly perch themselves upon.

I’m certain there are places you speak of that offer no real “chase.” Which in that case I totally agree with the sporting and ethical stance you appeal to.

Half the battle here is simply catching a billy in country where 1. You have an opportunity to get at him. And 2. You will have the opportunity to retrieve him once that ethical shot is made.

A few years ago, I sat on a billy for a few days waiting for him to move into recoverable country...long story short, he never moved and weather pushed me out of there. Then BLAM immediate emergency closure due to the quota being met before I could ever get back in there. Frustrating, but that’s why we play the game!

From my corner of the world goat hunting is a true testament of a man’s grit and sack. There’s nothing better! Maybe I’ll get to try an “easy” one someday!

Here’s a photo dump from a few of my years.

0414d1b5551d89f6a0943998c30a60e7.jpg

a3487296647099ec88dbebf86fd569ac.jpg

49c2ab2dcd8d7575a36fe71199a37ca7.jpg

6dc101284b48a02247b2925fa1f7ffee.jpg

f6a9e51423ddb4f647543631d9d535f4.jpg

098b9c17508f28d82938675b9fecd69b.jpg

a57d4391ac60ebe3ab980adf008f52f9.jpg

6accf893b03efba7ee7a1be47a0573be.jpg

Last edited:

as.ks.ak

WKR
-And here’s a few more.

After going through and picking photos, it reminded me how much goat hunting is about the experience and the story that i come away with, more than anything. Time in the mountains will never be plentiful enough!

5e3f9378ff550ad1c9916f7c04858e52.jpg

b6a9db5685096521778e086f7bfa8f1f.jpg

a1dcb5c0e9dd80669f7a6b433cd0ad1b.jpg

5f501da29f15a7fda5b2c2a449627478.jpg

3fb7a7582f2a3f35fc63a72daf0cd84f.jpg

MT_Wyatt

WKR
There is so much awesome in this post. I’m already obsessed with trying to get my goat tag here in MT, and this just stokes that even more. Thanks for sharing folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ll echo what has been said already by goat hunters with much more experience than me. Such as Gregg (Troutbum). Goats to me, are the ultimate challenge. Especially solo. They live in environments that are typically steeper and much more wet then the other white critters folks go bonkers over.

-Don’t get me wrong, I love me some deep curling horns and yeller eye balls.

Being in the alpine is really what it’s all about for me. And the chase that goats offer is absolutely what fuels me. Here in AK, I do firmly believe they are the ultimate mountain specimen. When you’re able to spend some time with them and watch how carelessly they jaunt up and down sheer cliffs, at least for me, it puts them higher on the pedestal they already so elegantly perch themselves upon.

I’m certain there are places you speak of that offer no real “chase.” Which in that case I totally agree with the sporting and ethical stance you appeal to.

Half the battle here is simply catching a billy in country where 1. You have an opportunity to get at him. And 2. You will have the opportunity to retrieve him once that ethical shot is made.

A few years ago, I sat on a billy for a few days waiting for him to move into recoverable country...long story short, he never moved and weather pushed me out of there. Then BLAM immediate emergency closure due to the quota being met before I could ever get back in there. Frustrating, but that’s why we play the game!

From my corner of the world goat hunting is a true testament of a man’s grit and sack. There’s nothing better! Maybe I’ll get to try an “easy” one someday!

Here’s a photo dump from a few of my years.

0414d1b5551d89f6a0943998c30a60e7.jpg

a3487296647099ec88dbebf86fd569ac.jpg

49c2ab2dcd8d7575a36fe71199a37ca7.jpg

6dc101284b48a02247b2925fa1f7ffee.jpg

f6a9e51423ddb4f647543631d9d535f4.jpg

098b9c17508f28d82938675b9fecd69b.jpg

a57d4391ac60ebe3ab980adf008f52f9.jpg

6accf893b03efba7ee7a1be47a0573be.jpg

Very well said, and some beautiful pictures too by the way.