Glorified goats?

Excellent photos Adam, you and the wonder boy have had some great times in the mtns. I think goats are my favorite mountain specie only because there isn't a whole lot of pressure with picking one out to shoot. Sheep hunting is more of a mission and it differs from goat hunting in many ways. I'll do both annually as long as I can though!

BRWNBR

WKR
Those are some great pics! I concur with nick, Sheep and goat hunting are very different. Goats are great fun, lots of legal animals takes a lot of the pressure off. I’ve been blessed to hunt goats in several mountian areas here in Alaska and they have all been very different. From the wrangells to pws, western chugach and Kodiak. The terrain is all different. But the feeling of stepping above the brush line is amazing in all of them! Goat country is an amazing place. As beautiful as anyplace on a nice weather day and as inhospitable as any place when the weather hits the fan, the extremes are special.
Appreciate all the pictures guys!
bd821a3859ac5bb7e7feb2d74e088946.jpg
cdebfeb52b9e4cec31e80dad08bf75e9.jpg
583e9727c5aab98eff0d2dbc837d95a7.jpg
e0d54c6b1a5e692899a18d84732ef5c0.jpg

NMO

FNG
I’ll echo what has been said already by goat hunters with much more experience than me. Such as Gregg (Troutbum). Goats to me, are the ultimate challenge. Especially solo. They live in environments that are typically steeper and much more wet then the other white critters folks go bonkers over.

-Don’t get me wrong, I love me some deep curling horns and yeller eye balls.

Being in the alpine is really what it’s all about for me. And the chase that goats offer is absolutely what fuels me. Here in AK, I do firmly believe they are the ultimate mountain specimen. When you’re able to spend some time with them and watch how carelessly they jaunt up and down sheer cliffs, at least for me, it puts them higher on the pedestal they already so elegantly perch themselves upon.

I’m certain there are places you speak of that offer no real “chase.” Which in that case I totally agree with the sporting and ethical stance you appeal to.

Half the battle here is simply catching a billy in country where 1. You have an opportunity to get at him. And 2. You will have the opportunity to retrieve him once that ethical shot is made.

A few years ago, I sat on a billy for a few days waiting for him to move into recoverable country...long story short, he never moved and weather pushed me out of there. Then BLAM immediate emergency closure due to the quota being met before I could ever get back in there. Frustrating, but that’s why we play the game!

From my corner of the world goat hunting is a true testament of a man’s grit and sack. There’s nothing better! Maybe I’ll get to try an “easy” one someday!

Here’s a photo dump from a few of my years.

0414d1b5551d89f6a0943998c30a60e7.jpg

a3487296647099ec88dbebf86fd569ac.jpg

49c2ab2dcd8d7575a36fe71199a37ca7.jpg

6dc101284b48a02247b2925fa1f7ffee.jpg

f6a9e51423ddb4f647543631d9d535f4.jpg

098b9c17508f28d82938675b9fecd69b.jpg

a57d4391ac60ebe3ab980adf008f52f9.jpg

6accf893b03efba7ee7a1be47a0573be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great photos, tried to message you about something but your inbox is currently full.

npm352

WKR
That was in 2014. Was a few days before I started goat hunting in the neighboring unit. The hunter fell on the pack out. In my goat unit in 2014, a guy broke his leg and another ended up in ER.

On my AK hunt in 2009, every few hours the rescue jet chopper would scream overhead. I came back bruised and bloodied. At one point was hanging by one gloved hand 60' above boulders larger than my SUV. On the pack out, ended up on glacier then got boxed in as light faded so leapt over a crevasse by landing on the point of ice that was left when the crevasse cleaved a second time. Was tired physically and mentally so upon getting back to the Lower 48 I placed the leaping over a wide crevasse that was deep as the single stupidest thing I had done. Still is a decade later.

CO taking a breather as pushed up higher to the goats.
View attachment 67050

AK on left, CO on right
View attachment 67049
Cool mounts!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

TXCO

WKR
Everybody makes good points from hunting pressure to tag access to terrain. Bottom line, goats live on top of the world and get into the most gnarly country in the continent. There is nothing like watching a goat walk along a cliff that looks like it is rated class 5 rock climbing route.

Goat Rocks.jpg

Goat Cliff.jpg

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a really great goat tag this year. I don't want to wait too long to go in after it though, as you never quite know what the weather is going to do.

Jimss

WKR
Great posts guys! I've been fortunate to have been on many mtn goat and sheep hunts in both Alaska and Colorado. Goats live in spectacular high, alpine country. If anyone wants a challenge try backpacking Alaska coast goats where you have to bushwack through devil club jungle several miles to get to the treeline haunt of goats. To add to the challenge factor is weather. Many hours and days are spent waiting for clouds to lift. Everything is slippery and wet...with torrential downpours plus wind. The later in the season...the worse the weather often gets!

As mentioned earlier there have been a number of deaths over the years by goat hunters. There was the Maroon Bells death a few years ago and a couple many years ago in the Needles. A few years ago when I hunted Alaska goats there was a guy in the same unit that died while I was in Alaska from exposure...and he had lots of backcountry experience. I elected to "wait the storm out" and go a week later due to the weather...thank goodness I did!

I've spent days upon days in the Colo alpine country watching and filming goats. Not only is the country breath-taking but the wildflowers and other alpine critters (ptarmigan, pika, bighorn sheep, muledeer, elk....etc add to the pleasure of the trip. I've actually had as much fun filming and scouting trips as the actual hunts. If you ever are lucky enough to draw one of these tags do yourself a favor and take full advantage of your tag by taking several scouting trips! You'll learn a lot about mtn goats and see some remarkable sites!

With that said, if you want to compare apples to oranges...it would be a pretty close toss up to me if I had to choose between hunting sheep or mtn goats in the same country. If I had the choice between Alaska coastal mtn goats and alpine dall sheep....there is no doubt I'd pick dall sheep.....that coast Alaska stuff is brutal!

I am thankful I was able to go after this goat while still physically able. The years have caught up with me now I won't be back in this goat country. I have the goat and the memory and cherish both. If goats don't mean much to you, hunt something else or stay on the couch.

kuuEL7f.jpg