Kodiak hunt

mnydir

FNG
I'm going to be hunting on Kodiak this October. If anyone has done this hunt before could you please give me your gear list and anything you wish you would've brought but didn't. Or anything you brought with that didn't work well or didn't use? Thanks

Merc

FNG
I haven't hunted there, but plan to in the future. There is a ton of information on exactly what you are looking for in this forum as well as the Black Tail deer.

Are you going on a guided hunt?

as.ks.ak

WKR
It would be helpful for whoever is going to give you a list or their opinion to know what type of hunt you’re doing. If you’re going guided or unguided and what you’re hunting for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you are from MN so you will be going guided. is this a boat based hunt or fly in? Buy the best rain gear possible and good base layers. Also get yourself a good pair of hiking boots with good support. What time in Oct. are you hunting?

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve done this hunt before. Like others have said. I’d assume guided sine your from mn. But if your with family only difference is you need a tent and food. One pair of clothes. Rain gear that doubles as a wind layer. Early oct is warm. Late oct can be below zero wind chills and snow. Be prepared for 100mph winds. Not kidding. Stiff boats for sidehilling. Trekking poles or walking axes. Headlamps. Batteries.
Snacks you like. Binoculars. Keep it simple. Lighter the better. Layers is key since the weather can vary so much. Ask your guide about tent heat to dry stuff out. Wear liner socks. Keeps your boots drier and helps to keep socks drier. Put socks in your sleeping bag at night. They’ll dry out. A pad to sit on. Gloves. Imagine you may end up standing in a car wash. Prep for the worst. Frolic in the best.

OP
M

mnydir

FNG
Yes I'm going guided, and fly into camp and then I believe they take a boat to drop you off on the beach. It will be the first week of October. The Average temps seem to range from a low of 30 to a high around 50. But I'm guessing the damp air and wind will make it seem colder.

BRWNBR

WKR
Early oct will be pretty warm. (Typically) It’ll feel muggy when you sweat. Wind and humidity don’t seem to make it feel colder till it clears off and blows. If it’s overcast it’ll just be muggy. Not muggy like east coast. But muggy for Alaska. Grass will still be up and green and some leaves still on the alders. Getting up too will suck but usuallynisnt to long of s trip up.
Whose your guide?

OP
M

mnydir

FNG
Munsey. I guess I think I have an idea on the gear list. My questions are more like what thickness base layers to get, how warm of a puffy coat do should I bring, what gloves would work the best. I have Yukon rain gear which is supposed to be one of the best. If I have that do I need a hunting jacket and pants as well? Do you need water filtration?

BRWNBR

WKR
No need for water filters. Your booked with munsey I’m not sure who your guide might be. Not sure who he has working for him now. I know a lot
Of Sheep guides wear the Yukon as their main layer and then just add light weight base layers under as needed. I wear Sitka ascent pants with no base layers for early Oct goat on Kodiak and it is just fine. I’ve always found those hunts to be warmer than one would think. Kodiak climate isn’t like the rest of Alaska. I’m not part of the kuiu cult so I couldn’t tell you what piece of their gear is equivalent to what I’m using.

Gloves. Best gloves I’ve found for Kodiak are the orange rubber ones from Walmart Uninsulated. Size up and slip a little liner glove in them. Dry easy, resist devils club, grab rocks, water PROOF, cheap, durable.

Last edited:
The last couple years I've been using the hell out of my Kahtoola micro spikes, I also take trekking poles and use them for all my hiking, spike shelter, occas. rifle rest, etc. This year I purchased an ice axe, per BRWNBR's recommendation, but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. Your Yukon rain gear will probably be one of your best friends, because you will be doing some bush whacking if you're going up from the salt, and it does occasionally rain on the Rock in October. Last year I pretty much just used my rain gear to hunt in. As far as weather conditions go, I've goat hunted on Kodiak a total of 5 times in early October. 2012 was mostly nice weather with temps. upper 20's-low 50's with a couple days of strong winds and about 2" of snow at 4,000'. 2013 was a lot of wind and a fair amount of rain, no snow @ 3,000-3,500'. 2014 another mostly decent weather with 2 days/nights of heavy winds, rain and it snowed a couple times with accumulations of 1-2" each time @ 1,300-3,500'. 2016 was miserable with 1 nice day, 2 okay days, and 7 very windy/rainy days with rain/snow/sleet mixture on one night @ 1,900-3,200'. Ended up getting over 5" of rain over a 6 day period. 2017 was pretty decent with 1 day/night of rain/snow mixture, several nice days with some sun, and a few days of very heavy wind but not very much rain @ 2,300-3,200'. The elevations I give are the elevations hunted, whether I was flown into an alpine lake or hiked up from the salt.

Last edited:
A few years back, I hunted with a "transporter" where they provide lodging, transportation to the beach, then ya'll are on your own for the hunt. To your question on what to bring:
1. If rifle hunting, bring a stainless rifle, synthetic stock, and one that you don't mind if it gets beat up. It will.
2. Excellent raingear. I used Rivers West (doesn't breathe, but tough). It will be wet, and it is very thick/thorny. Nylon shell stuff won't hold up.
3. Prepare for the kill. In AK, you must bring out all edible portions of the animal. Be ready with "stuff" to do it. All of us have our techniques and list of things (game bags, packs, knives, etc.), key is to have that with you at all times.
4. I wish I would have had a small machete, for there were a lot of areas we hunted that did not have bear trails (or at least, the bear trails didn't go where we wanted). Again, really thick cover once you get off the beach.
5. Great gloves that are "thorn resistant". I had what I considered "normal" hunting gloves, and vs. devil's club they sucked.
6. Gators. Really saved me crossing small creeks or kept debris out of my boots.

This was one of my favorite hunts. Challenging, demanding, yet very rewarding. We had the opportunity to see a lot of game (deer, bears, ducks, fox, etc.), and the evenings in camp trading stories were great.

OP
M

mnydir

FNG
A couple more questions. Gaiters yes or no? And what thickness or weight for base layers would be best? Thanks