Tagalong for Goat Hunt

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new to the forum and I know this is probably a huge long shot but it's worth a try. I am a college student in Western Pennsylvania and I want to go on a goat hunt so bad it's eating away at me every day. I've spent a short amount of time in Wyoming and Montana observing the critters and I've fallen in love. Unfortunately, my financial situation will not allow me to even apply for goat tags for many years. But honestly I don't even care to shoot anything, I just want the experience of the hunt. So if anyone is looking for a goat or even sheep hunting partner any time in the future, I'd love to help. I would help you pack whatever you needed and do as much of the grunt work you wanted me to all just for the opportunity to come along. I have adequate backpacking gear/clothing and you wouldn't need to worry about me being a hinderance. Hopefully I would be a helping hand in glassing, setting up camp, taking pictures, and packing. Also, I'm not a creep and I like to think of myself as a fairly easy person to get along with haha. I understand I probably won't get many (if any) replies to this but I figured I might as well ask. So if by chance you're interested, shoot me a PM. Thanks!

amp713

WKR
I have a chance at drawing my goat tag in Utah this year and my odds just keep getting better each year. Not exactly the same as a Montana or Wyoming tag probably as the area is not nearly as high of country but hey if you wanna make the trip come on out man!

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I have a chance at drawing my goat tag in Utah this year and my odds just keep getting better each year. Not exactly the same as a Montana or Wyoming tag probably as the area is not nearly as high of country but hey if you wanna make the trip come on out man!

Sweet! I would definitely come to Utah if I had the chance! How long is the season there? I still have three semesters of school left but would gladly miss a week of class for that!

amp713

WKR
Sweet! I would definitely come to Utah if I had the chance! How long is the season there? I still have three semesters of school left but would gladly miss a week of class for that!

Mid Sept to end of October. I have enough points I stand a chance this year but not enough to guarantee anything

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
Very funny coincidence but i was thinking the same thing over the past few months for a sheep hunt! I'd like to do the same in a few years. I have some other hunting feats i want to accomplish first, but I too would very much enjoy going on a sheep hunt one day just to go. Help pack and help with whatever is needed but not get in the way either. Very cool man, I hope it works out for you! As well as the hunter you go with!

BRWNBR

WKR
Call some Alaska outfitters they’ll hire you as a packer for Sheep season. Pay your way and make a few bucks!!

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
Start saving pennies man. I want to go on a sheep hunt and a goat hunt, direct deposit money into a bank account where I can’t easily get to it. Hopefully in 10 years I can go.

I’m from Ohio and love mountain goats and bighorns so I know your pain man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully you find someone to tag along with but either way you should just head out west to goat/sheep country, bring some optics and a fishing pole and go one your own high country adventure.
Colorado is probably closest.
Cost would be gas, food and fishing license.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Very funny coincidence but i was thinking the same thing over the past few months for a sheep hunt! I'd like to do the same in a few years. I have some other hunting feats i want to accomplish first, but I too would very much enjoy going on a sheep hunt one day just to go. Help pack and help with whatever is needed but not get in the way either. Very cool man, I hope it works out for you! As well as the hunter you go with!

Thanks! Good luck to you too. What state you from?

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Call some Alaska outfitters they’ll hire you as a packer for Sheep season. Pay your way and make a few bucks!!

Don't you have to be a licensed guide? I mean that sounds like the best advice anyone has given me but it almost seems too good to be true! That would be the ultimate dream come true. Also thinking about taking guide school out west so I could possibly do it every year and make enough money to pay for travel.

Last edited:
OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully you find someone to tag along with but either way you should just head out west to goat/sheep country, bring some optics and a fishing pole and go one your own high country adventure.
Colorado is probably closest.
Cost would be gas, food and fishing license.

That's what I did in Montana last year but didn't have a lot of time. I just started fly fishing last year and can't wait to get back out there and catch some more! Me and two friends did the Beaten Path in the Beartooths. It only cost me about $300, maybe less. Thinking about going to the same place this summer and getting off trail to get up a mountain and see how close I can get to the goats to get pictures. I probably should try out Colorado though because you're right, it's the closest (23 hours instead of 28) and I haven't been there. I do still want to go on a hunt though, just something about the chase!

Like others said...save your pennies and go! I saved for 3 years and got my goat this past season at 27. Never would have thought i would experience that hunt at that age with my job, but my wife supports my passion and has given a green light for about anything until kids come! Do it while you are young and able. Make it a priority in your life and live the dream. If it wasnt due to my wife being so close to family we would most likely be in alaska and hunt them every year...thats another option...i dont think you would ever regret spending the $ to be in goat area...beautiful...i will finally do my first out of state hunt with my dad this year in alaska and it will be worth it just to go!

Last edited:

BRWNBR

WKR
Don't you have to be a licensed guide? I mean that sounds like the best advice anyone has given me but it almost seems too good to be true! That would be the ultimate dream come true. Also thinking about taking guide school out west so I could possibly do it every year and make enough money to pay for travel.

You just work for a guide. You are a mule. It’s rewarding work, you’ll get the best shape of your life. And get paid to do it. Meet lots of great people and have amazing experiences. Google Sheep guides in Alaska and start emailing them. Easy peezy. Tell them your dumb with a strong back and a no quit attitude. Lol it’s a great way to get a foot into the guide industry if your looking to do that sorta thing.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
You just work for a guide. You are a mule. It’s rewarding work, you’ll get the best shape of your life. And get paid to do it. Meet lots of great people and have amazing experiences. Google Sheep guides in Alaska and start emailing them. Easy peezy. Tell them your dumb with a strong back and a no quit attitude. Lol it’s a great way to get a foot into the guide industry if your looking to do that sorta thing.

That sounds amazing! There is an outdoor show I'm going to in a couple weeks and there's supposed to be a lot of outfitters from Alaska there. I'll definitely ask around and see what they say. And I'll email some others too. Thanks a lot man, this is a huge help and great news.

BRWNBR

WKR
If your talking the Harrisburg show then ya. Lots are there. I’d get on google too and send some emails.

Jimbob

WKR
I just moved to Northern BC from Ontario. A year ago I though sheep and goat hunts were a pie in the sky dream for me. My plan was to spend a summer as a packer in the future to try and experience it (I am a teacher so I have the summer's off). Anyways now that I moved to BC sheep and goats are in my future. This summer I will be walking in for Stone's and doing a goat hunt or two. Goats are out my back door and sheep a short 6 hour drive away. Oh ya, mountain caribou as well.

I feel blessed to live where I do and I would love to share it with guys that don't have the same opportunity. So I have thought about the idea of having someone tag along that was up for the experience. I have a few friends back east that want to do it in the future but they don't seem as serious as you. So send me a message if your interested in coming way up here, maybe something could work out.

I took a guy I never met on one of the three goat hunts I did in 2017. He turned around and went back to the truck just 3 hours into the initial hike. Glad we drove separate.