First Goat Hunt - Jacket Question

I'm going on a mountain goat hunt the first week of October. I'll be hunting in northern British Columbia along the Ketchika and Gataga rivers. My understanding is that there will be considerable jet boat travel and base camp each night is an option as well as a spike camp if needed. So the primary weight restriction is the float plane, not necessarily my backpack. I imagine considerable wind and wetness can be expected on the jet boat. I have been thinking that this might be an actual circumstance where a soft shell would be nice.

My current jacket arsenal that might fit this trip:
Insulation: Kuiu Kenai Jacket, Arcteryx Atom AR Hooded Jacket
Rain: First Lite Stormtight Jacket, Helly Hanson Impertech ¾ length Jacket.

With the current Kuiu raingear sale: would the Yukon set be ideal for this hunt or overkill? (I've got to buy a pair a rain pants at some point.)

Should I be looking at a real soft shell: Sitka Jetstream, Kuiu Guide?

Or just use the Kenai/Stormtight combo? My stormtight is black, but judging from pictures camo is an afterthought on goat hunts.

Thanks!

NorBC

FNG
Get yourself the rubber heavy duty helly hansons to stay dry and cut wind on the boat. I've ran the Yukon system for years, it helps but it won't keep you dry in a costal down poor. It's tough enough to crawl around the crags in but you'll get wet either from sweat it the rain. Best thing you can do is keep warm clothes at camp, and hope you can dry everything out over night. Good luck!

OP
dreamingWest
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and bought the Yukon set while it was on sale. Hopefully it fits. Based on your recommendation, I may throw my Helly Hanson in the boat and use it while riding.

What insulation do you use in October? I plan to bring the Kuiu Kenai jacket.

NorBC

FNG
In October majority of your hunt will be glassing from the bottom. Should be easy to layer up with anything and rock your rain gear over top to cut the wind. Once you find a good billy strip everything down, depending on weather. Probably just a base layer and a rain shell with the vents open while you hike up.

bcimport

WKR
Don't overthink it or over spend it. Weather that time of year can get real fun. I second a set of HH impertech and be done with it. Good on the boat and good if you have to hunker down and it will actually keep you dry if you're not hiking.

OP
dreamingWest
Three years ago I bought a Helly Hanson Impertech Guide Coat for $27 from Amazon. It came highly recommended from an uncle who had just got back from an Alaskan moose and sheep hunt.

Since that very practical purchase, "over-thinking and over-spending" has become one of my favorite off-season pastimes.

Seriously though, I appreciate you guys giving me advice. I was hoping when I started this thread I would get some comments from guys with BC in their username.

Decker9

WKR
Iv hunted goats a lot in the late season in BC, imo, layer layer layer. I’m not familiar with the Yukon gear, but when I’m packing, I take my kuiu SD as insulation and a sitka cloudburst shell for my rain gear, and Sitka heavy base layers. Often I’ll have a fleece zip up as an extra. I pretty much use my rain gear as my outer layer, 99% of the time, and the SD only if I stop to sit/glass, October is a bad time to get sweaty and then a chill, especially above timberline.
As mentioned, HH stuff will be worth its weight in gold for the boat ride.
Another piece that will help in the late season, is a neck warmer / balaclava, I use mine a lot while sitting still.

For most goat hunting Iv done, late season included (unless it’s -20’s) a heavy outer layer jacket has been to much bulk for me personally.

I spent a couple weeks hiking around the Gataga lakes a couple years ago, your in for some spectacular country!! Good luck and keep us posted when the time comes.

Cheers!!

NorBC

FNG
Another question is which outfit? We run our late season goat hunts out of a lodge and use quad snow machine access, but they might have a wallten, cabin or tipi with a stove?

OP
dreamingWest
I'm hunting with Terminus Mountain Outfitters. My understanding is that we will be able to return to the main lodge each night but should be prepared to spike out if needed.

My Current Gear:

Boots: Schnee's Beartooth II Uninsulated (currently testing)
Glass: Swarovski SLC 10x42 w/ tripod (as of now, I'm not planning to bring a spotter)
Sleep: Thermarest Xtherm Max w/ EE 0* Quilt. (I haven't actually bought the quilt. I've use a Mountain Hardwear Ultra-Lamina 15* bag for all my hunts in the lower 48.)
Pack: Exo 5500

Next to skin: First Lite Aerowool t-shirt and briefs.
Merino Layer: First Lite Llano ¼ zip, Kuiu 145 zip-off bottoms.
Main: Kuiu Attack pants w/ Peloton 200 hoody
Insulation: Kuiu Kenai (jacket, pants)
Rain/Shell: Kuiu Yukon (jacket, pants, gaiters) w/ Helly Hanson for the boat.

Other: Camp clothes, camp shoes, trekking poles, camera, rangefinder, rifle, knife, Delorme inReach, gloves, beanie

Please give input on what has worked well for you on the late season goat hunt. And things you wished your clients would have brought and would have left at home. This is actually a 2-on-1 hunt, otherwise I might try to talk myself into bringing my bow.

NorBC

FNG
My good friend guides for that outfit. If it's a 2-1 I would assume there will be a lot of spiking out. If you want send me a PM and I will put you in contact with the guide directly and he can give you all the info you're after. That way you know exactly what's coming. He's a friendly guy and likes to help.

NMO

FNG
DreamingWest, looks like you have already got some solid advice here. I am the guide NorBC mentioned in the last post. Can’t say for certain that I will be your guide for the hunt, but I ran a 2x1 jetboat hunt in Terminus last October. It’s a great hunt and we see goats every day. Some big billies in that country too. If you have any specific questions drop me a PM.

Helly for the boat is a great call, it usually doesn’t rain a ton at that time of year, snow is more likely. That said 30mph on a crisp morning isn’t pleasant and the helly will help cut the wind.

As for the soft shell, that’s your call. I have a grey Kuiu guide jacket, and I wear it more around town than I do in the mtns. They are comfortable and quiet but softshells don’t offer much ROI when it comes to weight vs warmth. Down and synthetics are where it’s at.

I imagine Craig has or will send you a gear list, but you’ve got things pretty dialed by the looks of it. A balaclava or a fleece neck warmer is a great addition, as well as an over mitt. Doesn’t have to be down or goretex, a simple wool mitt you can pull over your gloves will keep your hands warm.

Last year was an anomaly weather wise, and I was skinning a goat in a T-short on Oct 4th. Typically we are dealing with snow and cold weather.
Good (74% +) merino wool socks are key, and make sure your boots are WELL broken in before you get there. Not just on the flats either, you don’t want to find out you get heel slip and blisters on day 1 of your hunt.

Hope that’s helpful!

OP
dreamingWest
So I just returned the Schnee's Beartooth boots I was testing. They were too narrow for my feet. What are your preferred boots for the territory?

bcimport

WKR
Cheap rubber boots for in and out of the floatplane and in the jet boat. Whatever brand mountain boots that fit your feet. Go to a shop that has as many brands and styles of boots possible and try them all on. Don’t worry about the brands that market and advertise as “hunting” boots. You just want a pair of mountain boots that fit you. As soon as you have a pair that fits spend as much time as possible between now and the hunt trying to wear them out. I prefer non GTX boots as they always leak, if nothing else water comes over the top and they never dry and they’re too hot. To each their own in that regard though.

NMO

FNG
Cheap rubber boots for in and out of the floatplane and in the jet boat. Whatever brand mountain boots that fit your feet. Go to a shop that has as many brands and styles of boots possible and try them all on. Don’t worry about the brands that market and advertise as “hunting” boots. You just want a pair of mountain boots that fit you. As soon as you have a pair that fits spend as much time as possible between now and the hunt trying to wear them out. I prefer non GTX boots as they always leak, if nothing else water comes over the top and they never dry and they’re too hot. To each their own in that regard though.

More or less what he said, find boots that fit you, and typically "hunting" companies like danner or irish setter don't cut it.
Kenetrek, Schnees, Scarpa, Lowa, La Sportiva, Meindl, Crispi etc all have good offerings. I personally like a leather boot, and use Obenhaufs boot wax with them. Don't have issues with goretex but they are slow to dry when they become saturated. I personally run a La Sportiva Nepal, but thats mostly due to the fact that they fit like they were custom built for my feet. Likely stiffer than most people will ever need but they do perform in the steep stuff. Try to avoid synthetic upper goretex boots, I have had clients with underarmor or similar "goretex" with synthetic uppers and while they are fine for deer hunting or rolling country, they don't cut the mustard in the mountains.

Russp17

WKR
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and bought the Yukon set while it was on sale. Hopefully it fits. Based on your recommendation, I may throw my Helly Hanson in the boat and use it while riding.

What insulation do you use in October? I plan to bring the Kuiu Kenai jacket.

I would replace the Kuiu Kenai with something warmer. It is too thin. I use the Sitka Kelvin on all my hunts. Get something synthetic that has more insultation. You may be sitting a lot

OP
dreamingWest
Thanks for the additional recs. I’m still boot testing. Currently the Crispi Nevada’s. My feet run hot so I tend to avoid the all-leather gore-tex boots when I'm hunting out west in the lower 48. But I figured I should at least consider some stiff all-weather “sheep style” boots for this hunt.

My hunt got moved forward a week to around 9/26-10/3. Due to this change the outfitter advised we may not be able to take full advantage of the boats,o I could be looking at horseback or backpack.

I had become comfortable with my layering choices with the Kuiu Kenai for these dates. But I hate to be cold so maybe I’ll look into a heavier insulating piece. I’ve got a bright blue Go Lite down parka I could stuff into a dry sack for emergencies. Or use my quilt for long glassing sessions.

mcseal2

WKR
I have not been in that area or on a hunt like yours so take my advice for what it's worth, very little!

I have 2 puffy jackets I use a bunch, a Kuiu Kenai like yours and a Kifaru Lost Park. If you want a super-warm puffy that does well in wet conditions that Kifaru is the best I've tried. It seems good at everything the Kenai isn't quite enough for.

If you need rubber boots for the boats or around camp Tingleys makes an ultralight rubber boot that only weigh 24.5oz for my pair of size 12's. I'm taking a pair for camp shoes on my moose hunt this fall. They won't hit the weight limit to bad and will give me something to wear other than my waders in camp. I bought a size up so I can wear heavy socks, they aren't the warmest boot. I wouldn't want them for long hikes but they will work for camp shoes.

Good luck on your hunt.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For the boat, I’d use the helly Hanson stuff. For the actual hunting I like the kifaru LPP as insulation and the first lite SEAK jacket is what I settled on for an active rain jacket.

As for soft shells, I was never a fan until a few months ago when I got a Sitka 90% jacket in a trade, since then, it’s become one of my favorite pieces and it’s not all that bulky or heavy.