Idaho Mountain Goat, Frank Church units

Recently moved to Idaho from Utah in 2016, still getting my bearings on Idaho hunting/units etc. In 2015, I drew a Utah Mountain Goat tag (High Uintas Central), was fortunate enough to get a billie. Looking to start putting in for Idaho, and would like advice/thoughts on the 27-x units in the Frank Church areas. Goals for the hunt are:

1. We are on foot (nothing against horses, just don't have 'em), willing to pack a ways in (we went in 12 miles in Utah on foot).
2. Prefer wilderness areas, enjoy the solitude if you will
3. We do not mind putting miles on the boots, but need to be realistic. On foot, pretty hard to just up and move camp to the next valley.
4. Do not really care so much about "trophy" stuff, looking for opportunity vs. size
5. would be able to scout 4-6 times before the season (hike in, spend a couple nights), but not much more. Therefore, need to be somewhat targeted on the area.

IMAG0868.jpg

Thank you in advance for any feedback you might have.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
No help on ID goat units but packing out a goat is a lot easier than an elk so you said "we" so assuming two or more on the hunt. Did you have someone on the UT hunt? Did you pack out in one trip for that hunt?

If you are able to go in with a helper or two then should be as easy as UT was to pack in and then out. Not going solo means can split up items like the tent, water filter, spotter, ammo, etc, then can pack in deep with packs under 100 pounds, maybe down around 70 pounds each. If bone out the meat then most likely pack out without a return trip. Of course, if do a full body pelt and is wet then that gets a lot, lot heavier than a dry shoulder mount pelt so might need a return trip to get everything out to the truck. Be sure can drive to the access point and not have to cross a river. Be realistic about the terrain and weather.

If you get lucky and draw a tag, the regional biologists will be a big help getting you pointed in the right direction. The goat populations in the Frank Church aren't real high, but there's plenty to hunt. In fact the trophy potential is quite good. Most people I know that draw notch their tags on smaller billies or older nannies, but big old billies live in every unit in the Frank. If you get lucky and draw, PM me and I'll help you out.

OP
farmermail
Thank you for the information. In answer to "we", yes, a couple of friends came along, and yes, we made it out in one trip. Used to packing animals (elk mostly, deer occasionally, pronghorn I drive to :)) out, so we did bone/cape the thing. I did do a full mount. Great advice on the weather, again thank you.

OP
farmermail
If you get lucky and draw a tag, the regional biologists will be a big help getting you pointed in the right direction. The goat populations in the Frank Church aren't real high, but there's plenty to hunt. In fact the trophy potential is quite good. Most people I know that draw notch their tags on smaller billies or older nannies, but big old billies live in every unit in the Frank. If you get lucky and draw, PM me and I'll help you out.
Thank you for the information, and will PM if I draw. Somewhat made up my mind to put it and sort it out. Figure with a bit of guidance from folks like yourself, and some miles on the boots, should be a great experience.

Gona Kinda hijack this thread lol i did draw a goat tag for 27-5 this year and courius on access. im looking into Planes and a posible guid but really dont want to pay the price for the guide. Im in the military and have limited time to scout.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Chadrick 32....If you haven't already, I'd recommend calling the biologist for your unit and asking him/her to send you the past harvest location map for your unit. When you kill a goat in Idaho you're required to check it in person with the IF&G, part of that check includes providing coordinates or specific location of the kill. The IF&G records that info on detailed maps showing multiple years worth of harvest locations. I drew an ID tag last year and the biologist was happy to provide this map to me. That should give you a good place to start looking.

Chadrick 32....If you haven't already, I'd recommend calling the biologist for your unit and asking him/her to send you the past harvest location map for your unit. When you kill a goat in Idaho you're required to check it in person with the IF&G, part of that check includes providing coordinates or specific location of the kill. The IF&G records that info on detailed maps showing multiple years worth of harvest locations. I drew an ID tag last year and the biologist was happy to provide this map to me. That should give you a good place to start looking.

Thank you i forgot about that had to do the same thing when i harvested my moose 2 years ago. Im supposed to meet up with the bioligest later this month for a scouting event to determin goat population close to 27-5 for possible future hunting.