Non Resident Goat License

Looking for breakdown and opinions of best non resident goat applications states.

I currently have no points and would like to start building. What states would be recommended and how much do points cost?

I know Colorado requires 3 years of points prior to entering a draw to start.

Does Utah require a license purchase to acquire points?

Is it worth applying to Wyoming if I want to DIY as a non resident. Is there any populations of goats outside wilderness areas in the state?

I know it may be less expensive in the long run to just save for an Alaska hunt but I would still like to build points in the lower 48 for the future.

Thanks for any information ahead of time.

BRWNBR

WKR
Alaska application you have to buy a hunting license (160) then it’s 5 bucks for up to six tries. So 190 bucks the first year. Next year you can use the old license number so it’s 30 bucks. No point system. You do have to have a guide though. Maybe just some comparison numbers for you.

I know it may be less expensive in the long run to just save for an Alaska hunt but I would still like to build points in the lower 48 for the future.

Thanks for any information ahead of time.

Here is some helpful information. Also, if you have an idea of where you want to hunt that requires a draw permit, your best bet is to put all six of your draw permits into that area. You can see what the draw rate success is for an area by searching the hunt you want to apply for.

Alaska Big Game Guide Requirements, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Alaska Drawing Hunt Information, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Draw success rate is on the very last page.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/applications/web/nocache/license/huntlicense/pdfs/2018-2019_draw_supplement.pdfFF247E2ABD58108CBDFBF705465E9CF0/2018-2019_draw_supplement.pdf

Jimss

WKR
You may want to consider Idaho. They don't have any guide requirements and you have just as good of a chance of drawing as any nonres (non bonus/pref pt system exists. Wyo may be an option if you don't mind super outrageous draw odds.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Utah does require a license to apply I wouldn't recommend it unless your planning to apply for multiple species

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I cant see goat applications for a nonresident. Before you know it you spent 10% of a goat hunt on applications and your no closer to a tag.
Not enough upside. Put a deposit on a hunt in BC or AK and go.

Jimss

WKR
I would have to agree that the expense of applying for nonres goat tag and fees is going through the roof and you may be better off going on a guided hunt in BC or AK. BC tends to have bigger mtn goats than Alaska...if that matters? Most states cost around $50 to $200/year to apply. If you multiply that by 10 years that's $500 to $2,000/state. Multiply that by 5 states and it's around $10,000-$15,000 with horrible draw odds in 10 years of applying. It isn't getting any cheaper to apply for nonres tags and you can pretty much count on draw odds getting worse and worse as more applicants apply than tags are issued each year.

You may want to put a pencil a calculator to the different states you are interested in applying to figure out roughly how much it costs to apply...plus the tag expense, etc. Most states draw odds are around 1% so it would take around 100 years to draw if the same number of applicants apply....not a very promising proposition!

Last edited:
I cant see goat applications for a nonresident. Before you know it you spent 10% of a goat hunt on applications and your no closer to a tag.
Not enough upside. Put a deposit on a hunt in BC or AK and go.

I second this big time! Application, licenses, point fees just keep getting worse. Idaho would be my only consideration in the lower 48 now for a DIY hunt.

I would have to agree that the expense of applying for nonres goat tag and fees is going through the roof and you may be better off going on a guided hunt in BC or AK. BC tends to have bigger mtn goats than Alaska...if that matters? Most states cost around $50 to $200/year to apply. If you multiply that by 10 years that's $500 to $2,000/state. Multiply that by 5 states and it's around $10,000-$15,000 with horrible draw odds in 10 years of applying. It isn't getting any cheaper to apply for nonres tags and you can pretty much count on draw odds getting worse and worse as more applicants apply than tags are issued each year.

You may want to put a pencil a calculator to the different states you are interested in applying to figure out roughly how much it costs to apply...plus the tag expense, etc. Most states draw odds are around 1% so it would take around 100 years to draw if the same number of applicants apply....not a very promising proposition!

x2!

npm352

WKR
Idaho non res is an ok option, but still not great odds. I would say Colorado, which I drew in four years (super lucky) but since they took away the requirement to front tag fees, applications will go through the roof.

I have 3 and 1 points in Colorado (had a waiting period), 13 in Montana, 11 in Utah and try Idaho most years. I am 34. I would consider myself lucky to draw again in my lifetime and I often put in for nanny only tags.

But, someone has to draw. Also, if you're considering buying a hunt, the prices are only going up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Idaho non res is an ok option, but still not great odds. I would say Colorado, which I drew in four years (super lucky) but since they took away the requirement to front tag fees, applications will go through the roof.

I have 3 and 1 points in Colorado (had a waiting period), 13 in Montana, 11 in Utah and try Idaho most years. I am 34. I would consider myself lucky to draw again in my lifetime and I often put in for nanny only tags.

But, someone has to draw. Also, if you're considering buying a hunt, the prices are only going up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

I put in for a nanny tag this year because of the number of apps that will flood Colorado in 3 years. If I don’t draw this year I may spend the next two putting in for a billy and then do nanny until I draw. I guess we will know tomorrow if I got the nanny tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get that there may be more people willing to apply for points now in Colorado for sheep, goat and moose. But at the end of the day how many of these people that weren’t already fronting tag fees to Colorado and same you have to in Idaho, how many will actually ever apply in the next 10 years? They couldn’t afford to front the fees last year they probably won’t be able to pay for the tag in 3 years either. The only real difference I believe we’ll see is the amount of people with preference points. That’ll probably triple now thanks to no tag fees up front. But if they couldn’t pay it last year they probably can’t next year either lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk