BC Goat Hunt

JoshT

FNG
Hi all, I have a mountain goat hunt booked for last week of September. It's by horseback, in the interior coastal mountains. Looking for advice on what sort of clothing I should bring along as my layering system. I was thinking a few Merino base layers, a fleece pullover, hiking pants and my rain gear. Was thinking I should purchase a puffy jacket to add to this. Any other tips, advice or insight would be more than welcome!

Interior coast mountains, get the best rain gear you can afford and probably a synthetic down jacket will be the way to go. Merino is great as a base layer but something you’ll see a ton of us BC outdoorsmen wear is the standard grey stanfield wool sweater over top of a base layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Puffy jacket for sure and I’d opt for synthetic (primaloft or similar) over down. Also gaiters, mitts/gloves and a good touque. Good chance of snow late September. Have fun!

Synthetics will be your friend on that hunt. There can be some good storms in that country in late Sept so I'd definitely pack for the cold as well - even some synthetic pants are nice to have when glassing for extended periods if the temps to drop...

Decker9

WKR
Definetly a good puffy jacket, the Kuiu SD has served me very well the past few years chasing BC goats. There’s a lot of options for gloves, I’m partial to good leather gloves, where there’s goats, there’s devils club, leather will save your hands a lot vs regular fabric. You will hear “take gators” a lot. I find they just cause a tripping hazard, goat country is no place for a trip, imo. I generally use my rain gear as my outer shell/wind breaker, saves the weight of carrying another soft shell jacket. Noise isn’t much issue when hunting goats. Also, a thermarest Z seat, you will be glad you did!!
Goat hunting is hell on your outer layer, wether it’s soft shell stuff or rain gear, between the alder, buck brush, devils club, blow down, the outer layer is prone to snagging. Be sure to take the best you can get. Doesn’t hurt to have a few inches of T tape in your bag to tape up little holes before they turn into big rips.

Good luck on your hunt!! Mountain goat is the ultimate BC hunt imo.

Jimbob

WKR
I do not have the experience as others so my opinion should not carry as much weight. I will be hunting stone sheep up North and Mountain Goats near Smithers this year and this is what I will be bringing (August hunts).

1. Gaiters (I love Gaiters, keeps my pants from getting snagged and keeps debris out of my boots)
2. Hiking pants and rain pants
3. Lightweight softshell (Kuiu Chinook) and rain jacket
4. two merino underwear
5. one merino bottom base layer
6. One merino t-shirt
7. One merino ls hooded(lightweight)
8. Synthetic midweight (Sitka traverse)
9. Down puffy (Montbell)
10. Leather Gloves
11. Thin syntheic gloves
12. Merino beanie
13. Ball cap
14. merino neck gaiter

If I was going in late September I would throw in my thick wool sweater. Now if I was going after sheep up North late September I would probably want some puffy pants as well.

A puffy jacket is one of my favourite pieces of kit, incredible warmth to weight ratio. Mine goes everywhere with me.

OP
JoshT

JoshT

FNG
Thanks for the replies everyone, gonna be watching the buy and sells for a high quality puffy jacket.

For those that have done goat/sheep hunts on horseback, what do you use for footwear in the stirrups? Pretty good chance most hikers won't fit in them.

I have never had an issue with wearing hiking boots and riding. If you are wearing a big winter pack you may run into issues with them fitting into stirrups. Might not hurt to call the outfitter for their opinion.

Decker9

WKR
I only used horses once while guiding, I didn’t have any issue using my hikers. As mentioned tho, the outfitter can prolly give you some good insight on it.

Kryptek has a real good sale on one of there puffy hoodies right now. might be an idea if your looking for one and the hoodie instead of a jacket is nice in my experience.

Thanks for the replies everyone, gonna be watching the buy and sells for a high quality puffy jacket.

For those that have done goat/sheep hunts on horseback, what do you use for footwear in the stirrups? Pretty good chance most hikers won't fit in them.

Oversize stirrups are pretty cheap and easy to change out. If you are concerned, take a set with you, I did.

NMO

FNG
Never had a client have issues with stirrups and boots. All of the saddles in the outfit have oversized stirrups.