Alaska goat hunt gear questions.

choovhntr

WKR
Going on my first goat hunt this August in Alaska. Hunting the Kenai Peninsula. I have a few questions on gear. Trying to decide between a slick bag 20 wide or 0 wide. Was hoping to use a 0 regular but I like a lot of room in the bag and the reg was about a inch off all around. The 20 wide weighs the same as the 0 reg but will it be warm enough? I really don’t want to carry a 4 lb bag. What do you guys think?

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
i use my 0 bag from aug. to nov. in AK. from sheep to moose to goats to bear.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Going on my first goat hunt this August in Alaska. Hunting the Kenai Peninsula. I have a few questions on gear. Trying to decide between a slick bag 20 wide or 0 wide. Was hoping to use a 0 regular but I like a lot of room in the bag and the reg was about a inch off all around. The 20 wide weighs the same as the 0 reg but will it be warm enough? I really don’t want to carry a 4 lb bag. What do you guys think?

You'll be just fine with the slick 20 on a August hunt in Alaska.

OP
choovhntr

choovhntr

WKR
Thank you for the replies! Luke, do you have a better option for a bag that wide at less weight? Nothing from Any down company that I have found is wide enough plus I’m kinda careless with gear.

EastMT

WKR
The EE convert is the closest I know of, 70” around 6’6” for 29oz, I’ve looked all over for a 75” for my dad with no luck. Almost thought about getting him a double quilt, 86” wide and only 2 lbs at 20 deg.

Yeah, EE makes a synthetic quilt/bag that looks to be promising, I plan to give er a rip this fall. Will see how it pans out but I am sure it'll be just fine.. much lighter too.