Sweaty feet- Insulated or non insulated boots

Beto

FNG
Hi guys, I will be going this August on my third mountain goat hunt with my bow in BC.

I am a guy that sweats a lot, and usually end up with wet feet after an all day hike on the mountains. I tried last year the Crispi Briksdal boots (200g) and they performed great in stiffness, but my feet would feel soaking wet at the end of the day hiking.

I am looking to see if I should change now to an non-insulated boot? But not sure if I will be cold on such hunt. So not sure to risk it or not.

What are your thoughts and what type of non-insulated boot would you recommend for this hunt/terrain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I would definitely suggest noninsulated boots! I never wear insulated....even in the middle of winter! I hike all winter at work in Colo and always wear uninsulated. I usually buy my boots around 1 size larger so I can add a little thicker padded insoles and also switch off socks. If it's super cold I'll wear a little thicker/warmer socks. When it's warm I cinch the laces up a little tighter and wear thinner socks.

In regard to boots I've had great luck with Lowa and Scarpas. I have been on numerous sheep and mtn goat hunts in Alaska and Colorado. I really like mid-weight/height hikers. I usually cover lots and lots of country while sheep and goat hunting so it's nice not lugging a hefty boot around. My ankles are plenty strong so I don't need stiffer/taller boots. Several mid-hikers I've had great success with are: Lowa Vantage and Lowa Caminos. Lowas come in medium or wide so that is a definite plus. I've warn out 2 Scarpa Kailash and they've also worked well...but fit a little narrower. If you need taller boots I'd highly recommend Lowa Tibets. Some guys like Kenetrek Mtn Extremes. I would highly recommend against buying them! They have super high heels and super tall soles. I wore a pair 1 day at work on steep/rocky slopes at work....stumbled around and immediately returned them! They may be great boots but definitely not designed for that type of terrain. I'm heading back up to Alaska to goat hunt this fall and will be bringing my UNINSULATED Lowas! Good luck on your goat hunt!

One word of advice....if you are stopping for any length of time (and it's not raining) to glass possibly take off your boots and let your feet, socks, insoles, and the inside of your boots dry! If it's sunny I often set my insoles and socks in the sunshine. If there is a stream I may even set my feet in the creak to cool off. I usually spend hours behind glass on sheep and goat hunts and it's pretty easy to do this.

Last edited:

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I second the advice on non-insulated. I usually just run two pairs of wool socks if it gets cold, just not too tight. Seems to work well for me. If it gets really cold, I might switch to my pack boots, but it has to be really cold, like at least 10 below.

LostArra

WKR
Something that has worked for my sweaty feet is applying Mitchum unscented anti-perspirant roll-on all over your feet and toes. Let it dry before putting on socks.
Start applying it daily about a week before you go. It really helps me just with wet feet that get cold in the winter.

OP
Beto

Beto

FNG
Thanks to all for this great input. It seems that I should definitely go with the non insulated boot. Will follow your recommendations for sure.

What a great value be able to bring up discussions like this to this great community of experts. Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ranger619

WKR
You could try Certain Dri Anti-perspirant Roll on. Start applying it to your feet daily a few days before you go and daily while on the hunt. It has the same ingredient that is used by Doctors for patients with excess sweating. The prescription strength we dispense is 20% and the Certain Dri is 12%. You may have to have a pharmacy order it for you.

Stid2677

WKR
You could try Certain Dri Anti-perspirant Roll on. Start applying it to your feet daily a few days before you go and daily while on the hunt. It has the same ingredient that is used by Doctors for patients with excess sweating. The prescription strength we dispense is 20% and the Certain Dri is 12%. You may have to have a pharmacy order it for you.

This works well,, do it sheep season each year.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Something that has worked for my sweaty feet is applying Mitchum unscented anti-perspirant roll-on all over your feet and toes. Let it dry before putting on socks.
Start applying it daily about a week before you go. It really helps me just with wet feet that get cold in the winter.

Yep, anti-perspirant sprayed on feet then let dry then put on socks. Each foot sweats about a pint a day and in that sweat is salt which as dries into crystals is like small razor blades. Change socks daily by carrying second pair of liner socks and rinsing out to get rid of the razor crystals that will rip your skin apart after a day or two of re-using socks.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I generate a lot of heat and my feet certainly sweat. The question of insulated vs non-insulated has been a trial and error process. I now hike and hunt with non-insulated, but if temps below 40 degrees in the mountains is expected, i carry a lightweight down booty for sitting spells or just to rewarm my niblits. You can find them with waterproof shells too.

Of course the key is hiking in one pair of wool and having a 2nd pair of dry wool socks to change in to, and maybe a toe warmer packet or too to boost your rewarming time.

with goats and sheep, you never know when you'll get busted and have to hunker down in place regardless of weather phenom or adequate shelter.