Canada or Alaska Mountain goat hunt and outfitters

Starting to plan a mountain goat hunt and trying to decide between Alaska or Canada. Is there pro's and cons to either?
Does anyone have any good outfitter recommendations for either?
I am looking to do a backpack hunt also.
Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Kimbersig

WKR
You need to post a budget when you ask questions like that. Make sure you consider travel, gratuities, and misc expenses too.....Coastal BC if you can afford it would be awesome and they have the biggest goats. If you go Kodiak I’d stick with a draw hunt. Lots of good options out of Cordova and Haines for an OTC outfitter. Canada will be more expensive but you can also do a combo hunt for moose or caribou. Yo

NMO

FNG
Hey Mike,

As Kimbersig mentioned, it's helpful to have a budget. There are a couple guides on here, myself included, that can probably steer you in a better direction if given more direction. What are you after primarily? Adventure? Hair length? Horn Length?

Bolen Lewis is your best option for a backpack goat hunt, hands down. It's also going to be one of the more expensive, but you get what you pay for when it comes to outfitters - at least thats my experience working for them.

Kimbersig

WKR
Bolen Lewis is who’d id go with hands down if money was no object. Which if I don’t draw a goat tag in the next few years it may not be!!

FPWarrior

FNG
Dennis Zadra at Lonesome Dove Outfitters is the real deal and gets it done. Archery or Rifle, he has no issue with putting you on archery goats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive never hunted goats in BC but Kodiak Island would be tough to beat for an all around goat hunting experience. There are also some big Billy's on island. One of the comments mentioned above about sticking with a draw hunt only on Kodiak. In my experience that is not necessary at all. Ive done both draw hunts in numerous zones on Kodiak and in other parts of Alaska.....the RG480 hunt lacks nothing compared with those other hunts (RG480 is the majority of the SW portion of Kodiak Island and it is an OTC "type" hunt allowing you 2 goats a year). The draw hunts are equal on trophy quality and numbers of goats as the RG480 hunt. But adding in the time frame to hunt the non draw RG480 area.....all the way to March 20th.... is a win win for a hunter. Winter goat hunting is peaceful with very little pressure. You can have the mtns to yourself and your guide. But if you choose a traditional goat hunting date, it is great as well. Ive done both and been successful on 9"-10" Billy's on all hunts.

Talk with Joey Klutch Jr from Aniakchak Guide Service. Also during the winter goat hunt I know a few of these guides will offer much better rates and great two hunter rates.....this is mainly due to a very slow time for outfitters.

bates

WKR
Like others have said lots of options and the prices vary as well.

I really struggled with my decision, originally i was going to do Bolen/Lewis but i ended up sheep hunting for not that much more money.

If i really wanted a big goat i would book with them as they have a great reputation or if i wanted an archery goat.

I am going to go to Kodiak in 2019 with Lance Kronberger

Travel there is easy and alot less than BC.

I think going to Kodiak and hunting there will be an awesome experience, plus i get to hunt my goat later in the year in October. I care more about the hair than i really do about the horn size and his hunt checked off alot of what i wanted.

really looking forward to it.

Ive never hunted goats in BC but Kodiak Island would be tough to beat for an all around goat hunting experience. There are also some big Billy's on island. One of the comments mentioned above about sticking with a draw hunt only on Kodiak. In my experience that is not necessary at all. Ive done both draw hunts in numerous zones on Kodiak and in other parts of Alaska.....the RG480 hunt lacks nothing compared with those other hunts (RG480 is the majority of the SW portion of Kodiak Island and it is an OTC "type" hunt allowing you 2 goats a year). The draw hunts are equal on trophy quality and numbers of goats as the RG480 hunt. But adding in the time frame to hunt the non draw RG480 area.....all the way to March 20th.... is a win win for a hunter. Winter goat hunting is peaceful with very little pressure. You can have the mtns to yourself and your guide. But if you choose a traditional goat hunting date, it is great as well. Ive done both and been successful on 9"-10" Billy's on all hunts.

Talk with Joey Klutch Jr from Aniakchak Guide Service. Also during the winter goat hunt I know a few of these guides will offer much better rates and great two hunter rates.....this is mainly due to a very slow time for outfitters.

Don’t believe a word of this! From what I hear, goat #’s on the island are way down and they’re talking about shutting down the hunt altogether. Hopefully the goats on Kodiak will someday make a full recovery, until then, hunt BC.

Last edited:

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Mike,
I went through this exercise last year and researched over 20 different Outfitters. Was close to going kodiak but in the end booked for this August in BC with Dustin Roe Backcountry BC and Beyond. Liked the option of backpack and/or horseback.
Lots of good Outfitters out there but in speaking with probably 20-30 references of different outfitters, there is a difference in how each one runs the operation. Worth talking to a lot of them to understand what is offered and narrow it down to what you really want.
Good luck on the search.
Ben

Last edited:

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
Dennis Zadra at Lonesome Dove Outfitters is the real deal and gets it done. Archery or Rifle, he has no issue with putting you on archery goats.

x2 max elevation 3,000 ft . Loved the coastal hunt.

NMO

FNG
Was close to going kodiak but in the end booked for this August in BC with Dustin Roe Backcountry BC and Beyond. Liked the option of backpack and/or horseback.

Ben

Can't go wrong with Dustin, He's got some good goats, knows the business inside and out, and has quality guides as well.

Big338

FNG
I am going with peasleyhunts.com this September.
Met Logan on a Yukon sheep hunt that was amazing. Did a mtn lion hunt last January and connected on a giant.
Have no doubt this hunt will be awesome.

I'm going to on a backpack rifle hunt out of Haines with Alaska Cross Country guide service in September. Reasonable rates and big bodied goats. Pretty stoked.

DA

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
I am going with peasleyhunts.com this September.
Met Logan on a Yukon sheep hunt that was amazing. Did a mtn lion hunt last January and connected on a giant.
Have no doubt this hunt will be awesome.

Sent you a message. Any chance you could share a picture of your cat.
Thanks

BRWNBR

WKR
This is a neat thread. I’m glad to see guys shopping for outfitters based on how their business are ran. I don’t know many bad goat outfits as far as success is concerned. I have guided goats in Alaska’s chugach mountian, wrangells, Kodiak island and, prince William sound. Chugach and wrangells are a no thanks. Kodiak and prince William sound have fantastic goat hunting. It’s not uncommon to see well over 50 goats in two or three days in most areas on Kodiak and pws. If I had to pick one. I’d be on Kodiak for a goat every year. Taken them with rifle pistol and bow. Pistol was the funnest.

NorBC

FNG
I only did 5 goat hunts for Bolen Lewis last season but three of the goats were 50"-50"+ and all archery. It is a lot of money, but if you're only going to spend it once I suggest paying the big bucks and doing right. Spike is awesome to deal with and if there is anything out of our outfits control effecting the hunt (weather) he will make it up to you. Dustin is always a good choice. And I hate twant throw his hat in the ring because I don't care for him, but Milligan has some cranked goats and some good guides also. But if you want not only a CHANCE at a big goat, a great adventure, some time in the super cub, great guides, and the most beautiful alpine on the planet I recommend Bolen Lewis.

Good luck on your search and keep us posted!