BC Goat Hunt Gear?

ruchtir

FNG
Looking at taking a goat hunt in BC in Early September of 2021. Not too certain what I want for clothing. Anyone have any suggestions? I assume 2 pairs of base layers and socks, a lightweight top, pants, heavier weight jacket and then rain gear. Not sure what exactly I need. Thank you

Jimss

WKR
Thats a good start. If you are hunting with a guide he likely has a gear and clothes list. A lot depends upon what type of hunt you are going on? Backpack vs horseback vs boat vs plane drop, etc. There are a few things you likely shouldn't leave home without. I hunt Colo and Alaska goats on a fairly regular basis. I've found trekking poles are invaluable to have on steep, rocky slopes. They'll be a lot easier on your legs, back, etc especially if you are carrying much weight on your back. Great optics, good boots, and the best rain gear your money will buy are all important. I would figure out what type of hunt you'll be going on and go from there.

OP
R

ruchtir

FNG
Thats a good start. If you are hunting with a guide he likely has a gear and clothes list. A lot depends upon what type of hunt you are going on? Backpack vs horseback vs boat vs plane drop, etc. There are a few things you likely shouldn't leave home without. I hunt Colo and Alaska goats on a fairly regular basis. I've found trekking poles are invaluable to have on steep, rocky slopes. They'll be a lot easier on your legs, back, etc especially if you are carrying much weight on your back. Great optics, good boots, and the best rain gear your money will buy are all important. I would figure out what type of hunt you'll be going on and go from there.

Yes, I forgot to ask about a gear list from the outfitter. Wasn't thinking about it at the time as I haven't booked quite yet. Waiting for verification from another hunter before booking. Poles are definitely on my growing list of needs. I am quite lost on clothing as im told the weather could be warm, or snowing, so im trying to figure what I need and dont need without too much weight or without spending 2 grand on clothing. I believe it is a backpack hunt. I am planning on hunting with Babine Guides.

JP100

WKR
First figure out if its a horse hunt,backpack etc.
Makes a huge difference on what gear you can pack.

The weather can be(as the guide will probably say) anything from sunshine to snow and most likely a mixture of sun,rain and snow haha.

You need to have versatile gear to work across lots of weather.

Base layers x 2-3, both tops and bottoms, either merino or good synthetic
Good quick dry pants x2
a light weight mid layer, like a light fleece hoody or similar
a down/synthetic insulation layer
and then your rain gear, id go heavier duty on the pants and lighter weight on the jacket.
then socks,sun hat,beanie, gloves
Good boots and pair of camp shoes
gaiters
good pack

and then your rifle,hunting gear ets

Your outfit should provide a good gear list, I would not bring a heavy weight jacket unless its a horse hunt, far better off with a down/synthetic jacket and rain gear. Will be lighter and more versatile than a heavier jacket

Here is my full list from last fall in BC from door to door

Mountain Goat Hunt Gear List

-Airport / Customs

____Large Duffel / Suitcase

____Extra Duffel to Bring Goat Home

____4457 Form for Proof of Ownership (2)

___Firearm Declaration Form (3)

____US Fish and Wildlife Form 3-177-1 (1)

____Hunt Contract / Paperword

____Passport

____Boarding Pass

____Garbage Bags (4)

Clothing

-Base Layer

____Sitka Merino Boxers (3)

____First Lite Merino Bottom (2)

____First lite / Sitka merino top (2)

____Smartwool Socks (4)

____L Dry Bag

____Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody

____Sitka Jetstream Jacket

____Sitka Cloudburst Jacket

-Bottom

____Sitka Timberline Pant

____Sitka Cloudburst Pant

-Headwear

____Sitka Cap

____Sitka Beanie

-Footwear

____Kenetrek MTN Extreme

____Crocs (camp shoes)

-Gloves

____Sitka Jetstream Glove

____Sitka Shooter Glove

-Sleep System

____0 Degree Synthetic Sleeping Bag

____Sleeping Pad

____Compression Sack for Bag

-Misc. Gear

____Rifle Zero at 100 YDS

____Rifle Hard Case W/ Locks

____2 Boxes Ammo

____Ammo Box W/ Locks

____Knife

____Vortex Viper Binos

____Vortex Rangefinder

____Vortex Spotting Scope

____Bino Harness

____Tripod

____Carbon Trekking Poles

____Camera / Case Fully Charged

____Camera SD Card

____Headlamp W/ New Batteries

____Sunglasses

____Stone Glacier Sky 5100

____Stone Glacier Pack Cover

____32 OZ Water Bottle

____Meat Bags (2 pk)

____Go Pro W/ Extra Battery and Accessories - never used

-Personal Items

____Personal Kit

-Small Pack Wet Wipes

-Leukotape

-Lip Balm

-Deodorant

-Shampoo (2oz)

-Tooth Brush / Paste

-Small Towel

-Monkey Butt Powder

-Tylenol

-Small Sea to Summit Bag

____Camp Cloths / Flight Home Cloths

____Hand Warmers (Few)

____Cashiers Check for Balance

____Cash for Tips / Extra Harvest Fee

goat1958

FNG
Nickziegler is 100 % spot on with his list. I have been to BC the last four years on a Goat hunt and returning this fall for another. Not much to add or take away from his list.. Now with that said, get in the absolute best shape you can get into and then double that.. for me hiking is all lungs , thighs and calves.. Hope this helps