Cheapest Travel to Smithers BC

ruchtir

FNG
Due to the drive to British Columbia a friend is on edge about booking a hunt. We would be driving all the way to Smithers, British Columbia from southern Wisconsin. Based on mapquest, its 35 hours. What is the cheapest way of getting there without having to drive all that way? Flying somewhere and renting a car or? Unfortunately if they decide not to go that kind of puts an end to my trip as well. Thank you guys for any suggestions.

Salix

FNG
If you are going to fly, I would suggest flying right into Smithers. It’s a small airport but has (or did have) a couple options for connecting flights. If not flying directly into Smithers the next best option would be to fly into Prince George and rent a vehicle to drive out to Smithers. Prince George has regular connecting flights to a couple major airports and is about a four hour drive to Smithers.
If you have time the drive would be fabulous though, but it’s a long ways and with the price of fuel I’m not sure which option would be cheaper.

OP
R

ruchtir

FNG
If you are going to fly, I would suggest flying right into Smithers. It’s a small airport but has (or did have) a couple options for connecting flights. If not flying directly into Smithers the next best option would be to fly into Prince George and rent a vehicle to drive out to Smithers. Prince George has regular connecting flights to a couple major airports and is about a four hour drive to Smithers.
If you have time the drive would be fabulous though, but it’s a long ways and with the price of fuel I’m not sure which option would be cheaper.

I really wanted to drive as going through Alberta, Saskatchewan, and then into British Columbia would make that drive feel alot shorter. In addition I am not too fond of airplanes haha. But 35 hours is very far.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
You'd want to drive in the US as long as you could. The fuel will be much cheaper.

Jimbob

WKR
Driving is fun. There is a reason why road trips are so popular, they are awesome. When I lived in Ontario my wife and two kids at the time drove straight to Florida, 26 hours. We stopped for gas and breakfast. We did that twice. Two years ago we drove from Ontario to Calgary 34 hours in the van with three kids. We stopped for gas, supper and breakfast. Then last year we moved from Ontario to Smithers. We hammered out two long days of driving 16 hrs and 17 hrs to get to the nice part of the country. Then took three days to get through Banff and Jasper and camped. All the while towing some moving trailers. My family loves road trips.

My Dad and I hunted Colorado years ago for Elk adn I was so focused on the hunt I wanted to get their ASAP. BUT once on the road with my Dad I realized it was one of the best parts of the trip. On our way home we went out of our way to see a few more states, stop at every Cabelas along the way adn even hit up the Iowa Hawkeyes season opener. Driving from Northern Ontario to Southern CO with my Dad was a highlight of the trip.

I would not balk at a 35 hour drive, I would consider it part of the adventure. There sure is a bunch of amazing stuff to see between me and you.

If time is a concern though (you only have so much vacation time) then you can drive it straight through or get a flight.

I would NOT recommend flying into Prince George. The drive from Prince George to Smithers sucks, probably the ugliest part of BC. However if you want to save money then fly into Terrace. It is only 2 hours from Smithers and the drive is beautiful. Flights to Terrace are significantly cheaper than to Smithers. My Father-in-law is flying from Ontario in July and he is coming in to Terrace because it is saving so much money.

Well I hope it works out for you, good luck.

Jimbob

WKR
Correction to my post. I am unsure the cost saving of Prince George. It could be the cheapest option, I don't know. I just never consider it because of the crappy 4 hour drive. I have driven it lots this year and if it saved me a good chunk of change then i would do it but the drive from Terrace is gorgeous.

Oh ya at Christmas my parents drove from Ontario and my Dad said the worst part of the whole 44 hrs of driving was the 4 hours from PG to Smithers LOL Probably the snow storm had something to do with that though.