Colorado G15

Foldem

WKR
Did anybody draw a Colorado G15 tag this year? My son drew a nanny tag and I’m looking to connect with some other tag holders to share intel but we were out of town this weekend so we couldn’t attend the sheep and goat day the cpw Puts on. I know the unit well so not looking for spots just hoping one of the earlier tag holders or a billy tag holder wants to Network to share what they saw.

Send me a pm please. Thanks,

Kevin

WKR
I hunted them in 15 a while back and found they moved way more than I thought they would. I'd look over 3-4 spots and be prepared to be mobile and look for them in places you would not expect them. Killed mine by Bobtail mine after a few days of work. Good luck.

OP
Foldem

Foldem

WKR
Thank you 3038, appreciate it. I'm hoping to have a group nailed down the weekend before the opener. I've got 4-5 spots that I routinely see them in, just need to figure out where they're at and hopefully he can get one on the first stalk on the 1st. From my previous experience in the unit if you blow it they move a long way!

Hi all,
I have the Nanny G15 3rd season tag this year. I have hunted Gunnison for Elk for 25 years. 8-12 mile pack in to spike and do my rounds. Don't know much about goats let alone G15. Any advice from sou guys from last years hunt?

Buschy

FNG
Good luck on your hunts Foldem and Jeff. I hope to hear how your hunt goes on this thread. Sounds like a challenge and the hunt of a lifetime!

Still have this week to go, but not hopeful. I worked with a turner guide service for 4 days and we saw one lone billy. On my own for another 5 days using weekends to hike peaks and look into drainages. This is a tough area for third season. We have been everywhere, from tunnel to Fraser. Not one Nanny, or even a long distance sighting. Best method here is to wait for G7 hunters to maybe push goats over the tunnel area. My guides been there daily waiting and so far, it hasn’t happened. Save your points and choose 16,7, or 4 for sure!

Buschy

FNG
I hope it comes together for you. The weather today likely doesn't help. Good luck!

OP
Foldem

Foldem

WKR
We found goats, but my son could only miss 3 days of school and with it being a weekday only hunt the first 3 days was it. Had a church commitment the weekend before the season so my grand plan of hiking in and sitting on a goat didn't work out. We made a stalk in the last hour of day 3 basically running 1200' up an avalanche chute on 2 goats. We got there with 5 mins left in legal with the goats standing at 265 yards above us, but I couldn't positively identify them as nannys so my son had to hold off. He was heart broken. This is an extremely tough hunt with almost no goats in the unit anymore as it's the buffer between G7 and the sheep in RMNP. My son is hooked though. All he wants to hunt now are backpack hunts for goat and sheep. He thoroughly impressed me, I am so proud of the effort he put in on this tough hunt.

IMG_0384.JPG
Goat a few days before the season.
IMG_0388.JPG
Dylan on the hike in.

IMG_0391.JPG
Enjoying some astronaut ice cream

IMG_0397.JPG

Opening day. Saw 1 goat but couldn't get a great look at it.

IMG_0398.JPGIMG_0401.JPGIMG_0403.JPG
Sis made some great PB and Bacon sandwiches for us.

IMG_0404.JPG

Mid day rest in the Hilleberg
IMG_0405.JPG

Second morning before we relocated

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
Foldem

Foldem

WKR
IMG_0424.JPG
After the epic stalk at last light. Deflated - but back in good spirits after the adrenaline dump.

IMG_0426.JPG

Last days' hiking effort for me. I'm 6' 5", can't imagine how many steps Dylan took.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
Man you guys made some great memories, looks like you got a tough as nails huntin buddy right there.

OP
Foldem

Foldem

WKR
The day or two after we finished hunting the high country got a couple feet of snow. Not sure I would have taken a 12 year old up in the cliffs in those conditions. Neither of us will ever forget the hunt, and he still brags that he drew a goat tag at before he turned 12 and I haven't drawn one in 14 years.

Buschy

FNG
Thanks for the write up. Looks like a great time with you son and a wonderful adventure!!

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like one tough and happy boy!! Love that he never stopped smiling! Wish I could stay that positive on all my hunts!

Andrew11

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome story.Sounds like you ignited a passion for mountain hunting in your boys life. The part you wrote about how all he now wants to do is backpack hunt for sheep and goats reminded me of a Jack O Connor quote.

"There is no half way. After his first exposure, a man is either a sheep hunter or he isn't. He either falls under the spell of sheep hunting and sheep country or he won't be caught dead on another sheep mountain."