DIY BC Backcountry Goat Hunt

• Thread starter Kootenay Hunter
  • Start date
K

Kootenay Hunter

Super stoked, I got a LEH tag for a goat in a provincial park in the West Kootenay of BC. It will be my first backpacking and goat hunt. I've got most of the gear already from regular backpacking and hunting, but I will need to trim out my clothes and stuff with whatever I'm missing.

I plan to do some scouting August, but I don't think it will matter much as they move a lot and the area is very mountainous, so here today, gone tomorrow.

I've been collecting gear lists from this site and others, finding the common items that make sense and work for me.

I hope to go late September and early October, but weather will dictate.

Below is a photo of the base camp area.

2870002791_32a206791a_b.jpg

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats. That’s one of the bucket list hunts for me for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tater

WKR
That will be a fun hunt. Just out of curiosity, how much did the draw odds change this year (would be on your online draw approval)?
It has traditionally been a 2.2-3.0:1 odds in your zone.

The unit i drew this year jumped to 11.1:1 from low 2's, so it seems like more residents are starting to catch the goat hunting bug.

Good luck, and don't forget the chicken wire to keep the packrats out of your vehicle...

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

That will be a fun hunt. Just out of curiosity, how much did the draw odds change this year (would be on your online draw approval)?
It has traditionally been a 2.2-3.0:1 odds in your zone.

The unit i drew this year jumped to 11.1:1 from low 2's, so it seems like more residents are starting to catch the goat hunting bug.

Good luck, and don't forget the chicken wire to keep the packrats out of your vehicle...

I will check tonight, the odds are typically low in this area as there are only isolated goat populations and typically requires you to pack in. I'd be interested to know what the success rates have been lately.

This is optimal for me as it's close to my home so I can do weekend trips and not have to put my eggs in one basket on a single big trip.

I haven't forgotten about the chicken wire.

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

Odds were 3.3:1 last year, and this year was 2.6:1.

tater

WKR
Thanks for posting those odds.
The billy you take in there will be well earned for sure.

nazarow

FNG
Been up there a few times in the early 2000’s. Got to see a wolverine which was pretty awesome. Didn’t see any goats but they are there. Take note for caution in certain areas. Good luck!

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

So, I'm debating which weapon to take on this hunt. My first big game kill was with a bow last year, and I've relatively competent, and know my limitations. Here are my thoughts

Rifle:
Better range, easier to carry, potentially cleaner/quicker kill. A lot of effort put into the hunt, would be a shame to be limited by range of 40-50 yds with a bow. Although, would also be a shame to get 'billy fever' and shoot at a distance/spot that may make accessibility an issue.

Bow:
More of a challenge, would be closer so know the terrain better for recovery, fall, etc. But, a little more cumbersome to carry around, less range, potential for a run-away when shot as I've read they go for the cliffs. And of course, way more badass.

I'm leaning towards rifle for my first MG hunt, but if someone has ideas as to why a bow may be better, let me know!

...currently working on my gear list, will post link soon-ish.

tater

WKR
The real benefit is the first nine days of the season (1st-9th) being archery only in the Kootenays. Just a lot less folks in general.
Not that there is a lot of traffic back where you are going anyway...:D

AXEL

WKR
Yep and that bow is not quite the equal of an appropriate rifle when packing meat out to your vehicle-horse in the "hyperphagic" season which is in Sept. in the Kootenays.

With a competent backup I can see bow hunting then and there, but, if solo, I seem to always pack one of my .338WM crf rifles. Started solo tripping in the Kootenays in the late 1950s and find the rifle just feels better to me.

If, you know where to look, there are some HUGE RMGs in the Kootenays, but, very tough country, too much for my 72 year old legs.

Decker9

WKR
I agree with Axel there. Hunting solo, I’d lean more towards a rifle. The accomplishment of taking a goat with a bow would be amazing, but there’s a lot of things that can happen when a goat has some time to move before he expires, a good partner could make a big difference in the retrievele. Not to mention bear country, Iv never been to the koot’s, but I hear there’s a good number of bears.

Either way, wishin ya the best of luck!! I’ll be poking around the Smithers area come January/February looking for a winter goat.

Cheers

NorBC

FNG
Bring your bow and bring a buddy to pack some heat, but I'm warning you now if you want to do it with a bow it probably won't happen if you pack a rifle. There's a lot of patience and waiting when stalking these critters with pokie sticks!

Keep this read alive, I did that with my first few goats, and it really helped me to get after it with every free day I had until I finally got it done. Members will support and help when they can, and everyone looks forward to the read.

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

Thanks guys, I think rifle will be the way to go for the first trip.

I won't be out for the 1-10 bow season, there will be a lot of other traffic in the area due to the long weekend and I'd rather not be traipsing around with a rifle.

By the 8th I'll be in the Flathead for elk for a couple of weeks, then come back for the goats!

Got to start piecing my kit together, maybe this weekend.

ozyclint

WKR
wouldn't be the purcell wilderness conservancy would it? spent time there 10 years ago while working for an outfitter. was told that there was goats in the head waters of westly or wessley? creek, which has high lakes like that in an adjoining catchment.

once saw a goat down by the road where it passes close to st mary's lake.

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

wouldn't be the purcell wilderness conservancy would it?

Nope, further west near Slocan Lake.

What part of Queensland are you at? I spent some time in Brisbane for a work term.

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

Unfortunately, it's a no-go this year at this point. My partner has had to duck out and the window I was planning on hunting in early September got filled with other stuff, now it's pretty wintery in the area...

I do not have the gear to winter camp/hunt and no fires allowed in the area, and the hike in is a bit much for a day trip. So I'll have to put it off for another year. Will probably put in for a tag closer to where I elk hunt to kill two birds...